Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Campdraft

indycop

I'll Lock Up
FurFeltFedora said:
The plastic or the whole liner IC?
I took the liner out completely on my taupe and it is much cooler and cut the plastic off on my silver belly. Both helped but I don't put my silver belly through the things I put the taupe through, just because it would get dirtier.

It is easy to trim the plastic off, I would try that and if you want to go further then just carefully pull the liner out.

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
Thanks a lot IndyCop, that makes me feel much better about getting a Silverbelly for those hot days over another panama hat. The other plus on the CD (I hope) is that I should have my Taupe one next week and I'll know for sure how it fits so I'll be confident with a Silverbelly. The panamas on the other hand, well I've got no idea how they will fit until they show up. So here's hoping my Taupe CD fits just fine :)

I have a few hats that I take the liner out during warmer months & stick back in for cooler weather (Silver Belly Stetson OR). I haven't done it yet for my Campdrafts but may. Just wanted to note that the CDs I have fit rather roomy at first but snug up with wear & water. I am a dead on 24" & the 61 CD fit a little loose. After spraying with distilled water for creasing & wearing a few times each, they all fit fine now. I did use some of the sizing tape for the sides since I'm a Long Oval shape. HTH

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
FurFeltFedora said:
Thanks a lot IndyCop, that makes me feel much better about getting a Silverbelly for those hot days over another panama hat. The other plus on the CD (I hope) is that I should have my Taupe one next week and I'll know for sure how it fits so I'll be confident with a Silverbelly. The panamas on the other hand, well I've got no idea how they will fit until they show up. So here's hoping my Taupe CD fits just fine :)

I'm just looking forward to the pictorial debut of the CD's...;) :D

CRH

Call Me a Cab
indycop said:
I took the liner out completely on my taupe and it is much cooler and cut the plastic off on my silver belly. Both helped but I don't put my silver belly through the things I put the taupe through, just because it would get dirtier.

Ohhhhhhhh.... Poor whiddle indycop get his whiddle hat dirty. Ohhhhhhh........ :eusa_doh:.

Obviously you need another silver belly, one for the clean look and one for the 'holy cripes, what'd you do crawl under a car?' look lol!

indycop

I'll Lock Up
CRH said:
Ohhhhhhhh.... Poor whiddle indycop get his whiddle hat dirty. Ohhhhhhh........ :eusa_doh:.

Obviously you need another silver belly, one for the clean look and one for the 'holy cripes, what'd you do crawl under a car?' look lol!
That was my Camptown...:rolleyes: lol

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've been on a Campdraft creasing mission tonight. I creased Mrs. BobC silverbelly and my mid brown.

IMG_1280.jpg

Mrs. C decided after the Monteagle trip she needed a hat or two, so we got her this one and a couple of others.

IMG_1282.jpg

IMG_1285.jpg

We've had both of these for several months and are just now getting around to creasing them. I guess that could mean we have too many hats at our house, mostly mine........NAH! :D

Goose.

Practically Family
CRH said:

OK...now, THAT was funny!!! lol
IC has got me thinking about a CD. Silverbelly. Truth be told though, I was worried about it getting dirty. What the heck. Hat will most likely outlive me anyway.
Still up in the prayer tower on that hat though. But just had to chime in on that post CRH.

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
indycop said:

It is easy to trim the plastic off, I would try that and if you want to go further then just carefully pull the liner out.

I was looking at removing the liner on my tawny CD and there are a couple long strips of glue. Did you cut with a knife? Any special technique? It looked like some of the felt would pull away.

When I encounter the glue, warming it up with some steam seems to loosen its hold & you can pull it off without damaging the felt. HTH
Chuck Bobuck said:
I was looking at removing the liner on my tawny CD and there are a couple long strips of glue. Did you cut with a knife? Any special technique? It looked like some of the felt would pull away.

One heck of a great hat is the Campdraft!

I had ordered one and got it back before Christmas 2008 and was hoping to have a friend do the bash for me. Busy times and it wound up being June with an unbashed Campdraft in the box. SO I grabbed it and gave it a gentle bashing, center dent plus a pinch in the front. Off we went. I altered the top to a 4 point diamond on Saturday, Then Sunday at the Ticket to the Twenties ballyhoo an aquaintance saw it and asked about it thinking it was an old Stetson, he was unfamilliar with the Akubra Campdraft! I gave him the lowdown and he'll probably get one soon too!

univibe88

One Too Many
I've been using mine as my "adventurer" hat. I wear it canoeing, hiking, working in the yard, etc. I think it has a great casual look and it really takes to some wear.

In the middle of a hike this past week end I realized the liner was completely useless and just making me sweat. So I pulled it out. I didn't worry about the glue. A little bit of fuzz from the felt pulled off with the glue, but it was under the sweatband.

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
FurFeltFedora said:
You guys are killing me! My first CD should be showing up any day this week and I'm dying here - it's like the longest xmas eve or something.

Well then...

(sleigh bells)

You better watch out
You better not cry
You better not pout
I'm tellin' you why
Your Campdraft is coming to town...

Everybody sing...!

It's in a box
It's on a plane
I hear you can wear it
In the rain
Your Campdraft is coming to town...

lol :D

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
That was too funny Chuck - too funny lol

And not to continue the rhyme but you are good luck Chuck - my Campdraft showed up when I got home and I've just spent the last half hour bashing it. I'll try to get some pictures up tonight, especially for Goose who is really trying to figure out if he's joining the Thin Ribbon Society.

And that's a perfect segway for a very important question I have about the ribbon - how to you stop the front loose end of the ribbon from blowing all over the place? I'm seriously considering tacking it in place. Suggestions? Thoughts? Rhymes or songs?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass