Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Campdraft

Duper

Practically Family
New Campdraft

I was lucky. I ordered an instock Campdraft from EA and it was at my door in under 10 calendar days. I was most pleased with the delivery.

Now for a question. This is officially my widest brimmed hat. I'm not 100% sure the wider brim suits my narrow face. Maybe it takes some getting used too. If anyone want to interject some honesty,,I'm open to your thoughts. My wife said,,"They all look the same to me." She picks up more on the width of the ribbons then shes does the width of the brims of my hats.

4309779086_bccf58a171.jpg

4309781556_9c8809c551.jpg

Havana

One of the Regulars
I just saw your other picture on the Open Road thread and I think the wider Campdraft suits you much better. It may seem "huge" because it's new but you'll get used to it in no time.

Duper said:
I was lucky. I ordered an instock Campdraft from EA and it was at my door in under 10 calendar days. I was most pleased with the delivery.

Now for a question. This is officially my widest brimmed hat. I'm not 100% sure the wider brim suits my narrow face. Maybe it takes some getting used too. If anyone want to interject some honesty,,I'm open to your thoughts. My wife said,,"They all look the same to me." She picks up more on the width of the ribbons then shes does the width of the brims of my hats.

4309779086_bccf58a171.jpg

4309781556_9c8809c551.jpg

It looks superb! While there is a sense of the right hat for the right face. I think it applies more to the extremes. The style of hats as regards to crown height and brim width changed from the 1910's thrus the 1960's and those changes in reality only affected a small portion of the population. The hat does not look extreme or clownish on you so it's now the idea that you get used to the wider brim.

theinterchange

One Too Many
Duper, I really like the hat on you! :eusa_clap It takes getting used to a wide brim is all. Give it a little time and you'll love it! That's the green isn't it? After seeing gtdean's green CD in action via photos, I'm real tempted to pick one up.

Randy

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
opinion

Duper, love the color.
as a country/casual hat the wide brim looks good. if you want, you could try and lower the crown a tad- that may make you feel more comfortable...im talking dropping it a half inch roughly.

but it looks sharp- that green is a nice color- love it

Duper

Practically Family
Thanks fellas, Now gtdean48 or Indycop, I definately agree about the swoop but how does one add the extra swoop? Is it as simple as adding the swoop to a Fed IV? I'm was not quite sure as the CD is more of a snap brim. Do you just moisten and shape/bend a bit? [huh]

RBH

Bartender
Duper said:
Thanks fellas, Now gtdean48 or Indycop, I definately agree about the swoop but how does one add the extra swoop? Is it as simple as adding the swoop to a Fed IV? I'm was not quite sure as the CD is more of a snap brim. Do you just moisten and shape/bend a bit? [huh]
Just work the brim in your hands, bend it down in front gently.
Should get that swoop in no time.
by the way it does look good on you.

Spats McGee

One Too Many
Duper, I think that CD looks good on you. The wider brim might take a little getting used to, but I agree that it needs a little swoop. I just steamed mine a little and it was a breeze to shape.

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
gtdean48 said:
Brim looks a little flat to me = needs more swoop to it.

I agree with gtd on the flat brim. Otherwise, it looks just fine. John in Covina is dead on that you just need to get used to it. I like the wide brim look on you.

Mav

A-List Customer
While waiting for the right Stetson OR to find me, I decided to order a Campdraft today from hatsdirect. Now I can spend a week or so obsessing on how I'm gonna bash the thing.

Mav said:
While waiting for the right Stetson OR to find me, I decided to order a Campdraft today from hatsdirect. Now I can spend a week or so obsessing on how I'm gonna bash the thing.
There is a great chance you will be very happy with your Campdraft and it should help you along with your OR search. Where abouts in California? Be Sure to check the Events section we're getting together in Long Beach for the Queen Mary event in May!

Mav

A-List Customer
John in Covina said:
There is a great chance you will be very happy with your Campdraft and it should help you along with your OR search. Where abouts in California? Be Sure to check the Events section we're getting together in Long Beach for the Queen Mary event in May!

SF Bay Area, Benicia, specifically.

May, eh? Might see if I can fake a business trip down there.

Mav

A-List Customer
Gah. They sent the wrong color. Jenny has been most helpful, however. Another couple weeks of obsessing.

A question for those familiar with this hat, though: the thing is freaking huge. With the supplied foam strip in, it's pretty good. I noticed that the sweatband seems to be a lot thinner leather than what I'm accustomed to, however. Do these tend to run somewhat large?

Doublegun

Practically Family
I bought my Fawn Camp Draft last spring and have decided it just does not suit me. The liner is gone bot other than that it is good as new. Size 60. If you are interested in it, please PM me.

Thanks,

Doublegun

Lloyd

A-List Customer
Bluegrass Green Campdraft from Everything Australian

Here's a Bluegrass Green Campdraft from Everything Australian. 7 days from click to delivery.

It arrived Friday and it rained all day yesterday, followed by a 3 hour hike today to add a lot of sweat to the more than abundant rain water from yesterday. Perfect conditions for hat taming:)

No spotting or any other troubles. Now I see why everyone loves their Akubras and I will not hesitate to recommend them.

AkubraCampdraftFeb2820103.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot