Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Campdraft

Duper

Practically Family
Thanks AlanD, I have added some more "swoop" as was suggested and lowered the crown height by about a 1/4 inch and I am very happy with it. It does get regular wear when I'm out for my extended dog walks.

frussell

One Too Many
Fawn

I need to take some photos, but I got a Fawn Campdraft delivered yesterday from HatsDirect. Another flawless transaction with them, puts me at four or five deals without a hitch with their company. I have been looking for an Open Road that works on me for years, but the Stetsons, both modern and vintage that are in the original LBJ-style crease are always too stiff and shallow. Just for giggles, I threw an old school Open Road crease in this new Akubra, and it works like a charm. Having that open crown to work with gave me just a little extra leeway on the crown so it doesn't sit like a pie tin on the top of my huge head. I may need to get another Silverbelly, I like this one so much. The original plan was to get this Fawn, send it to Major Moore for a wider ribbon, and have a great brown fedora, but this Open Road bash is grabbing me just as is. Thank God for Akubra for those of us with anything bigger than a 7 3/4 head, so we can still have some styling hats. Frank

CRH

Call Me a Cab
frussell said:
..., but this Open Road bash is grabbing me just as is. Thank God for Akubra for those of us with anything bigger than a 7 3/4 head, so we can still have some styling hats. ...

Looks like
a thin ribboned prayer
for fat heads

:rolleyes:

:D

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I know it's technically a fedora, but could the Campdraft actually pass for a cowboy/western hat if it has a cattleman's crease? The reason I bring this up, is the fact that the Stetson Open Road (and the Campdraft is a type of this, even once licensed by Stetson) is sometimes considered a cowboy/western style. Personally, I would probably go with the Campdraft over an actual cowboy hat, as I prefer the shorter brim, but in my eyes, it does have a western flair.

Actually, the Campdraft and Open Road with the cattleman's crease was considered more of a businessman's western hat, not true cowboy and not true fedora. It was worn by millionaires, ranchers as their dress hat, businessmen, politicians and by the detectives at one of the big city police departments. (I want to say Dallas but I am not sure.)

In a way , it's almost the Western version of a Homburg or Bowler hat, representing a higher sort of society member. The person wearing it would be considered someone you'd really listen to, show respect to and consider worth more as a customer. They would have commanded more attention-assistance when being waited on by a salesperson or at a restaurant type of thing.

You might not see it as much today but 30 or more years ago in the US the fawning would be automatic.

frussell

One Too Many
Don't forget the small cowboys.

I grew up in Texas, and both there and here in general, I'd say in the last 40 years or so, John in Covina's remarks hold true, with one exception. Since I was a little boy, I've also known many smaller stature working cowboys who opted for the Open Road, not because they wanted to look like a rich rancher, but because standard size cowboy hats looked silly on them. One of my old friends, who was thin as a stick and probably stood about 5'4" used to tell me those other hats made him look like a thumbtack. His "LBJ" hat, as we always referred to it back then, looked completely at home on him. I still know several diminuitive cattle hands that opt for the same style. Also, there are many areas like the Idaho basin, if memory serves, where some buckaroos wear the small brim hats for their function, not for the look. If you're roping and working stock, a small brim gets in the way of your rope hand and other gear a bit less, especially if you're throwing the big loop. You see this in several areas of the West, even in paintings by Willam Matthews and other great Western artists. Thanks, Frank.

carldelo

One Too Many
Nor the engineers..

It's been covered on another thread, but there was an old tradition of graduating engineers from the South Dakota School of Mines buying an Open Road as a rite of passage. The hat was a symbol of the professional status of newly-minted engineers, and would serve to distinguish them in the field from the laborers. This seems to directly parallel John's comments above, where the OR served as a widely understood class symbol.

As a reminder, the style was one that other makers copied so if searching for a vintage Open Road you can consider clones like Resistol's San Antonio, the Dobbs Westward or a Mallory Dallas. I have a Dobbs that is a thrill to wear.

The Campdraft remains a great combination of quality and value plus is readily available making it a sure bet for most as a quick and easy entry step to an Open Road clone.

frussell

One Too Many
You'll be happy with it

I missed the slightly snug one I sold a while back so much I've got another on order from HatsDirect. I think this one is going to be an old school cattleman crease LBJ style, as I finally got the hang of making my own version of that style. Nice thing about the Campdraft, if I bungle it, or just get tired of the bash, they take re-bashing well. Enjoy. Frank

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
frussell said:
I missed the slightly snug one I sold a while back so much I've got another on order from HatsDirect. I think this one is going to be an old school cattleman crease LBJ style, as I finally got the hang of making my own version of that style. Nice thing about the Campdraft, if I bungle it, or just get tired of the bash, they take re-bashing well. Enjoy. Frank

Thanks,

I'm allready having fun trying to decide what style of crease I'll give this hat.. I really like the cattleman's crease, just don't know if I could pull it off.. well, we'll see what kind of crease the hat wants...

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
djgo-cat-go said:
Thanks,

I'm allready having fun trying to decide what style of crease I'll give this hat.. I really like the cattleman's crease, just don't know if I could pull it off.. well, we'll see what kind of crease the hat wants...

Now, here is one photo I`m looking forward to...!

Sarastro

New in Town
After reading this thread, I was so excited about the Camp Draft that I order one for myself from Hats Direct. 2 months pass and still no hat so I sent off a few emails to HD. They were very helpful.

However it did take me some time to trace the hat through the internet but find it I finally did. My new Camp Draft had been sitting in the back room of the local post office for the last 6 weeks. No, no one had tried it on, it was just stacked high with other boxes waiting to be traced by anxious owners. I am familiar with my local post office. I am aware of their policy to avoid all of those pesky delivery notices. They just wait patiently to greet angry non-recipients of long over due packages. I think they find it amusing and it does offer a bizarre form of cheap entertainment to an otherwise monotone work schedule.

So I am now happily wearing my new top, thanks to everyone here for the inspired suggestion. I still enjoy mail order but I am not as amused as are my local postal workers by the downside of home delivery.

RBH

Bartender
Sarastro said:
After reading this thread, I was so excited about the Camp Draft that I order one for myself from Hats Direct. 2 months pass and still no hat so I sent off a few emails to HD. They were very helpful.

However it did take me some time to trace the hat through the internet but find it I finally did. My new Camp Draft had been sitting in the back room of the local post office for the last 6 weeks. No, no one had tried it on, it was just stacked high with other boxes waiting to be traced by anxious owners. I am familiar with my local post office. I am aware of their policy to avoid all of those pesky delivery notices. They just wait patiently to greet angry non-recipients of long over due packages. I think they find it amusing and it does offer a bizarre form of cheap entertainment to an otherwise monotone work schedule.

So I am now happily wearing my new top, thanks to everyone here for the inspired suggestion. I still enjoy mail order but I am not as amused as are my local postal workers by the downside of home delivery.

Welcome to the Lounge... now lets see some photos!!!!

Spats McGee

One Too Many
Sarastro said:

Welcome to the Lounge!

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
First post here though I've been lurking for about a month.
After reading all of the love you have for the Campdrafts and Fed IV's here on a whim I ordered a Campdraft in Bluegrass Green and a Federation IV in brown. My wife took it rather well which surprised me since in the last three weeks I'd already purchased a used graphite Akubra Banjo Paterson (which I really love but would like something more "city"), an fawn Akubra Capricorn and a Donnegal tweed newsboy.

She actually mentioned that I should get a hat in Grey as she likes the way grey hats look on some of the photos I've shown her of you guys. Maybe I should order while she's still in a good mood...? :whistling

Sam

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo