Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Campdraft

theinterchange

One Too Many
Thanks. I love the campdraft - I'm just wondering on me if it would look better if the brim were about 1/4" narrower. Maybe I'm just not quite used to it.

Get used to it. I remember Neophyte contemplating the same thing. The CD is in perfect balance, crown to brim. IMHO

Looking good, Rodkins! I agree with the others, the hat looks great on you and is balanced quite well.

As to the "brown" comments, it's the incandescent lighting I shot the photos in... [yet on my HD monitor, the hat looks green] It is indeed quite green as you'll see later today.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'll definitely give it a chance. I love that BG color. I'm not comfortable wearing my brown hats with black belt/shoes or my black/grey hats with brown belt/shoes but I can wear the BG with either comfortably I think.

That's what I discovered. The Akubra's b-green is much more versatile than I would have ever imagined.

Great that you like it, and I'm sure that you'll feel more comfortable with it over time. I went through the same thing, now I don't even give it a second thought :).

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Just wanted to thank you guys for the great campdraft postings, but who did you order from and how was the process?
I've been buying up vintage hats for over 35 years now, and I realize that I would have nabbed a bunch more open roads and strats years back ... and would have taken better care of those I found ... if I'd known where hat manufacture was heading.
This looks like the niche is at least addressed, but ordering on the net, from Australia is a little daunting at these prices.
Thanks for the input,

Sam

theinterchange

One Too Many
I've ordered from Hatsdirect.com, EverythingAustralian.com.au, and AussieBushHats.com. I've had very positive experiences with all three vendors. At first, ordering from Australia can be intimidating, but once you get past the first transaction, it's much easier. The key is making sure your sizing is accurate, I'm not entirely sure how much I trust a size chart alone. [though many have stated that they go by them regularly] I'm fairly certain you know your head measurement, if you're more comfortable contact the vendor giving them both your head measurement and the model of hat you're interested in and they can point you to the proper size.

My last transaction which concluded yesterday when I took possession of my Bluegrass Campdraft, was with Everything Australian. This was my first experience with them and won't be my last. They are considerably cheaper in the shipping department than Hats Direct or Aussie Bush Hats.

Hope I at least helped a little!

Randy

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Thanks, Randy

Seeing the pics of that green campdraft is certainly a deal closer.

Also the word that they have a soft finish. I don't know why, but in the pics they always look stiff.

Thanks again,

Sam

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Also the word that they have a soft finish. I don't know why, but in the pics they always look stiff.

Well, most Akubras start out a little stiff, but soften dramatically with time. For instance, my Lightning Ridge was stiff as hell new, but within a week it's competing with my month-old Campdraft.

It's odd, too: my own Bluegrass Green came really, really soft, much more so than any hat I've purchased new. I attributed this to Sam at EverythingAustralian reblocking my hat (a two-week process that he did for free), but with Randy's comment, I'm starting to wonder...

Mr E Train

One Too Many
Yeah, as I've mentioned before, my BG Campdraft was noticeably softer and less stiff than my Silverbelly, which was and is pretty stiff. If you think about it, that could be by design as the Silverbelly might be geared more towards the folks who want more of a traditional Open Road with a Cattleman's crease, more of a western hat, whereas with the other colors they're going for more of a Stratoliner/fedora kind of thing.

theinterchange

One Too Many
Thanks, Randy

Seeing the pics of that green campdraft is certainly a deal closer.

Thanks again,

Sam

You're quite welcome! The silverbelly CD I owned was softer than either of my Federations, but not THIS soft. Though, I did notice that my last Federation was much softer and floppier out of the box than any of the other Akubras I've handled.

Well, most Akubras start out a little stiff, but soften dramatically with time. For instance, my Lightning Ridge was stiff as hell new, but within a week it's competing with my month-old Campdraft.

It's odd, too: my own Bluegrass Green came really, really soft, much more so than any hat I've purchased new. I attributed this to Sam at EverythingAustralian reblocking my hat (a two-week process that he did for free), but with Randy's comment, I'm starting to wonder...

I can't believe how nice it feels. This hat has the makings of a new favorite. :)

Yeah, as I've mentioned before, my BG Campdraft was noticeably softer and less stiff than my Silverbelly, which was and is pretty stiff. If you think about it, that could be by design as the Silverbelly might be geared more towards the folks who want more of a traditional Open Road with a Cattleman's crease, more of a western hat, whereas with the other colors they're going for more of a Stratoliner/fedora kind of thing.

That's quite possibly the reasoning behind this, either that or it's how Sam/EA ordered them?

Randy

That's quite possibly the reasoning behind this, either that or it's how Sam/EA ordered them?

Randy
My Glen Grey & Mid Brown were both softer than my Silver Belly. I think to get the liter colors they bleach the felt blanks then add more shellac to the bodies to replace what the bleaching takes out. The darker colors probably get less shellac since they didn't get bleached & they probably over compensate for the silver bellies. That's my story & I'm sticking to it...

Jim2903

One of the Regulars
I finally did it

Got a Stylemaster en route from AustralianGear.com, which did not list the Campdraft among its offerings. I e-mailed to ask if they'd consider carrying it, and they responded that they started carrying them this week, with the launch of their new website. And wouldn't you know it, they were on sale for 15% off. With their free worldwide shipping, that makes it less than $100 US. So I officially began my 11-week wait for a silverbelly. Now, if they only carried it in BG, too ...

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
RE: softer Akubra's....

.... as I mentioned in another post, my newest Stylemaster is the SOFTEST out of the box Akubra I have EVER bought. While not as soft as my well worn 30yo Bushmaster, it is as soft as my 1 1/2 yo Bushmaster after all the rain and snow, and inclement weather it has encountered! It also has the smoothest finish of all my Akubra's and it is an Imperial felt as them. It is the darkest color hat I own being a true DARK CHOCOLATE BROWN ( it's listed as a Mid-Brown but is far DARKER than what I would call tha color!) Even the band and binding are the SAME shade of brown as the felt !! Mabe there is something in the darker color dyes used in these hats that softens them up !

CitizenGenet

Familiar Face
Got a Stylemaster en route from AustralianGear.com, which did not list the Campdraft among its offerings. I e-mailed to ask if they'd consider carrying it, and they responded that they started carrying them this week, with the launch of their new website. And wouldn't you know it, they were on sale for 15% off. With their free worldwide shipping, that makes it less than $100 US. So I officially began my 11-week wait for a silverbelly. Now, if they only carried it in BG, too ...

Do you know if AustralianGear takes PayPal? I can't seem to find their payment options without actually going through the ordering process.

theinterchange

One Too Many
Do you know if AustralianGear takes PayPal? I can't seem to find their payment options without actually going through the ordering process.

This may sound odd, but thank you for mentioning AustralianGear.com, I was able to find a hat that my mom was interested in on their site. This one I had pointed it out to her on Barmah's site, but have until now been unable to find one at a retailer.

Randy

Crazy Legs

Familiar Face
I CAN'T TAKE IT ANY LONGER! I just ordered a Campdraft in Silverbelly from Australian Gear and it couldn't have been easier. They do have a Paypal option. It is an 11 week wait but that's OK. This will be my first Akubra.

MarkD

One of the Regulars
Congratulations Crazy Legs and welcome! I have about 5 weeks to go waiting for my Mid Brown. You will love the Campdraft! Most of us here agree with Deputy Swoopy; The CD is in perfect balance, crown to brim.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes