Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Campdraft

T Rick

Practically Family
My CD's all shrank to fit with a few wearings with body heat & perspiration, after creasing that is. There are millinery supply websites that sell rolls of the sizing tape you are looking for = same stuff I got in my Akubra hat boxes from Hats Direct & Everything Australian.

Thank you Sirs! :yo:

So it looks like there is a chance the package may even come with some from EA? Those strips at DM look perfect, just what the Dr. ordered. Inexpensive too, except the $8 shpg. seems to put them a bit over the top. But I got to thinking after seeing them, and contacted my local fabric store. They've got white felt available in whatever quantities I want (by the yard, no minimum purchase). Only question is will it be as thick, she thought it was about 1/8 (same as at DM) though she wasn't certain. Worst case scenario, I'll take a trip there and come up with something that will work (though it sounds more and more like I may not need anything).

Thanks again!

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thank you Sirs! :yo:

So it looks like there is a chance the package may even come with some from EA? Those strips at DM look perfect, just what the Dr. ordered. Inexpensive too, except the $8 shpg. seems to put them a bit over the top. But I got to thinking after seeing them, and contacted my local fabric store. They've got white felt available in whatever quantities I want (by the yard, no minimum purchase). Only question is will it be as thick, she thought it was about 1/8 (same as at DM) though she wasn't certain. Worst case scenario, I'll take a trip there and come up with something that will work (though it sounds more and more like I may not need anything).

Thanks again!

Damn...and I just answered your question over in the "Ask a Question" thread lol. Well, whatever...hope it works out for you, Rick!

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Have you worn your Akubra in some BIG rainstorms yet? Get it THOUROUGHLY wet and then dry and I think you'll find it will shrink down to fit better especially if you don't put it on a "hat jack" to dry. I always buy my Akubra's about one size larger and with wearing AND rain they work down to fit JUST RIGHT :) If you buy your Akubra from DM the felt strips are INCLUDED with the hat ( I know he does not sell the CD, but there are OTHER Akubra's :) )

Neophyte

Have you worn your Akubra in some BIG rainstorms yet? Get it THOUROUGHLY wet and then dry and I think you'll find it will shrink down to fit better especially if you don't put it on a "hat jack" to dry. I always buy my Akubra's about one size larger and with wearing AND rain they work down to fit JUST RIGHT :) If you buy your Akubra from DM the felt strips are INCLUDED with the hat ( I know he does not sell the CD, but there are OTHER Akubra's :) )

His hat is still in transit from Australia lol!

T Rick

Practically Family
Still in transit? Man, you'd think they could get here FASTER, it's just down in Oz :) You'd think it was still the 20th century :)

True, too bad they can't email it to me! :lol:

But as for the rain, that is a problem. Hitting 28 degrees here in Detroit maybe. And no warmer wx. in sight until Spring (I imagine some will come along, but when, and will it rain?). I could always jump in the shower...

But then there's steam, or shrinkage just from the wetting of distilled water I'll be giving it for the bash, or simply sweating (I can do that easily, even at 28 degrees :D). So as Dundee used to say, "No worries". I think it's covered! Pics to come, figure 9 days to 2 weeks... (Argh!)

MarkD

One of the Regulars
Hi Rick,

Use the distilled water spray as described previously to form your bash. Then wear the hat until it dries. It will shrink to conform exactly to your noggin as if it was custom made for you. I don't know if you would want to wear it outside for this as the water may freeze so this is your excuse to wear it in the house all day. :)

T Rick

Practically Family
Hi Rick,

Use the distilled water spray as described previously to form your bash. Then wear the hat until it dries. It will shrink to conform exactly to your noggin as if it was custom made for you. I don't know if you would want to wear it outside for this as the water may freeze so this is your excuse to wear it in the house all day. :)

Perfect! That is now the plan.

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
I'm wearing mine right now...
05f12eb7.jpg

T Rick

Practically Family
Looks like two of us are waiting on a BGCD. :)
These guys are some great influences, eh? ;) I needed another hobby like I needed a hole in the head. At least now, I'll be able to cover the hole... :D

When did you order yours?

No that makes three of us. Mine should be coming end of January beginning of February
Must've gotten one of the out of stock sizes?

If I've correctly deciphered the threads I've read (reading between the lines, ie; making some assumptions based on comments I've seen), it seems EA has a standing order for this non-standard color, and re-orders as stock dwindles down, is that correct?

Neophyte

If I've correctly deciphered the threads I've read (reading between the lines, ie; making some assumptions based on comments I've seen), it seems EA has a standing order for this non-standard color, and re-orders as stock dwindles down, is that correct?

What Sam (at EA) told me is that after Akubra discontinued the color, he got a special run of 50 or so hats. These are the ones being sold now. You are correct, though; as he runs out of stock he orders more. It is currently the only color he stocks that doesn't have the 3-month wait attached for the Campdraft.

I suppose when Akubra discontinues a color, they don't trash the dye...or maybe it's just a marketing scheme. Either way, it seems to have worked lol.

Crazy Legs

Familiar Face
Originally Posted by Link
Looks like two of us are waiting on a BGCD. No that makes three of us. Mine should be coming end of January beginning of February
Let's try four of us! Mine should be coming in January as well.

T Rick

Practically Family
Originally Posted by Link
Looks like two of us are waiting on a BGCD. No that makes three of us. Mine should be coming end of January beginning of February
Let's try four of us! Mine should be coming in January as well.
How many would it take to make it the "Official Hat" of The Fedora
Lounge? :D

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
The "Official Hat" of the Lounge is the Fedora, made by MANY Co's. not JUST the CD. :) (and Akubra makes MANY OTHER hats than JUST the CD :) )
For that matter, the CD is the renamed hat that Akubra made as a Stetson Open Road under license to Stetson back in the 50s/60s so with that logic one would have to put up the Open Road as the "official hat" :)

Last edited:

Sam Craig

One Too Many
This may have been asked and answered, if so, sorry ...

But, has anyone determined if Johnny Depp is actually wearing a Campdraft in the many pictures of him in a wide-brimmed, brown fedora with a narrow ribbon and a bound edge?

Or, is it a vintage hat that just looks life a CD?

Just wondering.

Sam:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy