Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Campdraft

James71

A-List Customer
Silverbelly Campdraft

I went into Katoomba this morning and picked up a new Campdraft in Silverbelly. What a gorgeous colour! I will have to try very hard to keep it clean, so I guess it will have to be relegated to dressy occasions rather than everyday wear.

Its just always so hard to take off the new one......

I got it home and gave it a quick bash over the kettle and this is the result. I left this one quite a bit taller than the Glen Grey CD I bought last Saturday.

CD3.jpg

CD2.jpg

CD1.jpg

CD4.jpg

Dave E

One of the Regulars
Silverbelly or Glen Grey CD is going to be my next hat when I can afford one, can't make my mind up which colour though! (When I say next hat, obviously I'm not including the one on the way from eBay that I got a week or so ago...)

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
James71 said:
I left this one quite a bit taller than the Glen Grey CD I bought last Saturday.

Would be great to see the two side by side. Always fascinating how the difference is so small in dimension between dents, but the difference in image is so large...

James71

A-List Customer
Thanks RBH. Its my second attempt at a home crease job. My first effort is on the previous page on the same hat, only in glen grey. I definitely like this style better and am considering punching out the teardrop in the grey and reshaping it like this....

RBH

Bartender
Try a diamond crease. First crease it like the silverbelly [tall crease] then put the back of the diamond shape in the back of the crown.
These thin ribbons do great with that type crease.
And these hats do even better when you soften them up by working the crown.

Good luck and show us a photo if you try it !

James71

A-List Customer
As Requested

As requested above, please find below a few side by side shots of a Glen Grey Campdraft bought a week ago and a Silverbelly Campdraft bought last Saturday.

The Grey started as a diamond bash that I eventually changed to a teardrop. The Silverbelly has a simple centre dent and pinch.

You will note the height the disparity between the two styles, particularly in the rear shot. I also gave the front of the Silverbelly's brim a bit more downward sweep. The hats are otherwise identical.

If anyone is interested in these or other Akubras, I can also do comparison shots between these and the following :- Bogart, Cattleman, CEO, Arena and Coober Pedy.

Compare1.jpg

compare2.jpg

compare3.jpg

Duper

Practically Family
That silverbelly sure is an eye catcher and it is nice how the two different bashes distinguish the two hats by more than just their colours. Well done. :eusa_clap Thanks!

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
James71 said:
As requested above, please find below a few side by side shots of a Glen Grey Campdraft bought a week ago and a Silverbelly Campdraft bought last Saturday.

The Grey started as a diamond bash that I eventually changed to a teardrop. The Silverbelly has a simple centre dent and pinch.

]
How do you like the selection of gray color in the hat? Can you get a lot of use out of it in the matchup with clothes? In other words, an easy or hard matchup?

tnitz

New in Town
Good comparison images

Thanks - I really think the comparison will be handy for some new to creases. I typically crease similar to your silverbelly and the "distortions" to the crown (tapering in on sides) are precisely what mine do as well, it's systematic of the crease. My bluegrass has a "shallow" teardrop with no center pop (or think of it as a center dent with widened back) and "wide-eyed" front pinches, about 2" between them in front and is turning out to be a nice compromise crease for me, I am able to keep the height and gain some of the nice long-term form of the teardrop. So far it's holding up well. I can't really claim much influence on it, the hat wanted it that way!

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
James71 said:
As requested above---.

If anyone is interested in these or other Akubras, I can also do comparison shots between these and the following :- Bogart, Cattleman, CEO, Arena and Coober Pedy.

Thanks, and YES! I`m sure others would love to see real life examples! Cheers friend

James71

A-List Customer
danofarlington said:
How do you like the selection of gray color in the hat? Can you get a lot of use out of it in the matchup with clothes? In other words, an easy or hard matchup?

The grey goes very nicely with anything Black. It looks quite suave with my black and charcoal suits. It clashed badly with earth tones though, and doesnt look any good at all with my leather jacket.

The silverbelly one, however, looks great with leather or just about anything else. Goes well with black or earth tones. Its neutral tone is definitely easier to dress with.

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Then I shaped the hat, using my hands and fingers. I had forgotten how stiff these hats are initially.

I put a diamond crease in it. Afterward, I placed it on my hat stretcher, open crown again, and steamed it using a steam iron (I'm surprised most people here seem to use a kettle - I find the steam iron much easier to control.)

Here's the initial result. My other campdraft is much softer and I expect this one to be the same in time. (The water droplets are from the steam.)

b89b9ed6.jpg

c2a92755.jpg

be92d335.jpg

be92d335.jpg

75429b22.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael