Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Campdraft

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I'm thinking about wearing my silverbelly out into the blizzard when I go shovel, and really put it to the test. Wind is my only concern ...

If it's a blizzard I would think WARMTH would be needed :) I would NOT wear a brimmed hat in what you folks are getting ! A wool watch cap and the hood on the parka over that might work better :)

Onward thru the Fog :)

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If it's a blizzard I would think WARMTH would be needed :) I would NOT wear a brimmed hat in what you folks are getting ! A wool watch cap and the hood on the parka over that might work better :)

That is true. Under 35 or 30 degrees, off goes the fedora and on goes the stocking cap. I mean I like the style of fedoras, but I like not freezing better.

Gromulus

Practically Family

Concur wholeheartedly. Although it is brimmed, in weather like we have been getting I usually wear my wool Tilley winter hat (with built-in ear and forehead flaps). Got one for my wife this year and she loves hers as well!

Last edited:

Jim2903

One of the Regulars
Anybody else ever use their wind cord? I did today ...

5411745850_9fec9a108b.jpg

Was a little gusty out while shoveling this morning, but the worst was over by then. Decided against wearing it out last night during my first shoveling session; went with the hood on my parka.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab

That is true. Under 35 or 30 degrees, off goes the fedora and on goes the stocking cap. I mean I like the style of fedoras, but I like not freezing better.

I prefer a brimmed hat, especially when there is weather, as it keeps the snow away from my face, and I can dip my head into the wind to protect my face. Now I just need some earmuffs to keep my ears warm.

email68

One of the Regulars
Anybody else ever use their wind cord? I did today ...

5411745850_9fec9a108b.jpg

Was a little gusty out while shoveling this morning, but the worst was over by then. Decided against wearing it out last night during my first shoveling session; went with the hood on my parka.

How do you use a wind cord?

Tim

Duper

Practically Family
I picked up 3 pairs of the 180's off E-bay. Black, grey and tan. I find they work very well with my Campdrafts or Traveller and I just leave a pair in my coat pocket of the jackets. Grey with the blue parka coat and tan with the brown leather coat. They come in just about every colour and texture.

Picker

One of the Regulars
Back around page 175 there was discussion of the possibilities of getting enough orders for Akubra to make some Camp Drafts in the Heritage quality felt. I'm all for that! Personally, I'd like to see them start with the traditional silverbelly color. With spring and summer approaching, I'd love a new CD in Heritage in silverbelly, and then use my regular silverbelly for more sweaty use in warm weather. Whoever is spearheading this endeavor, let me know what I can do to help (I'm a big Hatsdirect repeat customer).
Picker

steppenwolph

Familiar Face
Back around page 175 there was discussion of the possibilities of getting enough orders for Akubra to make some Camp Drafts in the Heritage quality felt. I'm all for that! Personally, I'd like to see them start with the traditional silverbelly color. With spring and summer approaching, I'd love a new CD in Heritage in silverbelly, and then use my regular silverbelly for more sweaty use in warm weather. Whoever is spearheading this endeavor, let me know what I can do to help (I'm a big Hatsdirect repeat customer).
Picker
I'm ready to be in on this as well. I need this hat. Campdraft, Silverbelly Heritage grade felt, that's all I have to know. Lets make this work. :eusa_clap

You'll get it to work when someone comes up with the money for Akubra to do the run. Money talks.

In the past, people in other endeavors have tried to do things based on the number of people that were interested, but always there are those that will have promised to be part of something that can't or won't when the time comes to pony up the bucks.

I have seen this theme repeated a number of times.

The key is to know the number of hats and the dollar amount that it would take for Akubra to do the run and get that amount of money to your Australian buyer.

This usually takes any wheres from 25-50-100% number of promises OVER the number needed so the actual number of payers that will come thru with the money will be enough.

We tried for a Moonstone back in 2009 & hinted for a Heritage grade version.(see my exchange with Hats Direct below)
I am for trying for a Heritage Silver Belly if we think it is a more desirable color.

Here's how we got the Glen Grey =
EVERYBODY needs to email sales@hatsdirect.com & ask Ron for a HERITAGE grade SILVER BELLY CAMPDRAFT & specify the size, reference that you are from THE FEDORA LOUNGE.
My email is going out today. I'll start a thread to post this message & for you to post that you sent your email so we can see how many we sent....

We don't seem to be at 50 yet.
Here is my last attempt to get the Moonstone CD run plus a Heritage version =

Hi Tom,

We have been in contact with Ron and we will not be doing a Moonstone Campdraft any time soon - certainly not this side of Xmas.

Best regards,
Jenny Nethercote
sales@hatsdirect.com

The Hattery
2/197 Katoomba Street,
Katoomba, 2780
Australia

Phone: 02 4782 5003
Int:+ 61 2 4782 5003
Fax: 02 4782 6265

Tom Dean wrote:
Any news to if this hat can happen?

Thanks,

td

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Monday, May 11, 2009 10:16 AM
To: info@hatsdirect.com
Subject: Akubra Campdraft in Moonstone
Importance: High

Ron & Company,

Last fall, you were successful in getting a run of Campdraft hats from Akubra in Glen Grey.

I & some of my fellow hat enthusiast on The Fedora Lounge, www.thefedoralounge.com , purchased these great hats in this exquisite color.

We were wondering if there is a way to get a run of Campdrafts in the very popular Moonstone color?

Also, is there a way to explore having them in the Heritage collection style?

Let me know what I can help to determine market interest or if there is a minimum number to reach.

Kind Regards,

Tom Dean

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24