Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Campdraft

konadog

Practically Family
java, i think the hat looks right on you and has me more excited for the silverbelly CD that should arrive for me any day now.

javadave61

Practically Family
Thanks guys. It's helpful to have a perspective other than the one filtered through my own two eyes. It really is a great looking hat.

Slacker Drummer and Konadog, as the song says, waiting is the hardest part.

tommyK

One Too Many
I find the Akubras a little thick and/or stiff to get good depth and definition on side dents. It can certainly be done, just takes a little work. Maybe a little time to soften up.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
JD, The hat looks great on you. Style and design are funny things: when I first got into this, the taller crown and larger brims looked excessive. Now they look right. I'll bet that if you wear the CDBG with any regularity your other hats will start to look and feel small to you.

javadave61

Practically Family
I'll bet that if you wear the CDBG with any regularity your other hats will start to look and feel small to you.

I've already sold my first few hats on eBay. I once thought they were perfect. Now they look to me like miniature toy hats. If this CD becomes the norm, I may have a few others to unload.

89quattro

One of the Regulars
I've already sold my first few hats on eBay. I once thought they were perfect. Now they look to me like miniature toy hats. If this CD becomes the norm, I may have a few others to unload.

Me too. Live and learn. Putting a few more on the selling block.

Anyone interested in a pair of brand new Stylemasters? Charcoal and BGG. Will give you a great deal.

BTW...size is 65 cm

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
My BGCD came yesterday. Boy, this is a LOT of hat (or so it feels to me). I may need some encouragement here. It's the same size as my 80's OR, but maybe the dark color makes the size more noticable to me. I'm not happy quite yet with the bash yet, so there's more work to do. Suggestions? I can see why the smaller brim custom CD done for loungers a while back ended up quite popular. I think it's the brim I'm adjusting to.

I would add that the felt is softer and much less stiff than I was expecting. Steam doesn't seem to "penetrate" it like it does with my other hats. It feels like you could dry shape it just as well.

View attachment 27991 View attachment 27992

View attachment 27993

The hat is a very good look for you. The brim takes a bit of time to accept, but others will see it differently than you do until you get accustomed to the look.

Last edited:

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Thanks guys. It's helpful to have a perspective other than the one filtered through my own two eyes. It really is a great looking hat.

Slacker Drummer and Konadog, as the song says, waiting is the hardest part.

Looks nice Dave. Have fun "tweaking."

Last edited:

tommyK

One Too Many
Does anyone know if this "Fawn" CD at JJ Hat Center ( http://www.jjhatcenter.com/collections/felt-hats/products/the-campdraft-by-akubra-in-fawn ) is Tawny/Taupe Fawn? They also have the Bushman listed as "Fawn", but then it's description talks about the hat being Nullarbor Tan.
If the CD was indeed Fawn/Nullarbor Tan I would be tempted to purchase! Or at least try and find it delivered from Oz for less $$$!

Not sure about the CD but the Bushman sold there is definitely Nullarbor Tan
cd0a2bb1-4a70-49ad-b9c0-46b95ea0c955_zpsuoykynsr.jpg

My BGCD came yesterday. Boy, this is a LOT of hat (or so it feels to me). I may need some encouragement here. It's the same size as my 80's OR, but maybe the dark color makes the size more noticable to me. I'm not happy quite yet with the bash yet, so there's more work to do. Suggestions? I can see why the smaller brim custom CD done for loungers a while back ended up quite popular. I think it's the brim I'm adjusting to...
Whenever I've worn one of my Campdrafts for a while then switched to one of my Fed IVs, it seems like I'm wearing a Trilby. Conversely, when I've worn one of my Fed IVs for a while then switched to one of my Campdrafts, I've felt like Joao in one of his many wide-brimmed hats. Of course, as most people here know there's only a 3/8" difference between the two (on the sides of the brims, that is); it's all a matter of perception. As time has passed and I've switched between the two more often, my perception of the slight difference has become far less noticeable. Give yourself time to get used to your new hat, and you'll probably find yourself ordering another one (or two, or three, or...).

...I would add that the felt is softer and much less stiff than I was expecting. Steam doesn't seem to "penetrate" it like it does with my other hats. It feels like you could dry shape it just as well.
They probably used less stiffener on that particular hat body than they used on the others. My second Campdraft was so stiff that it felt like they used more stiffener on it than they had on my other three Akubras combined. lol I've dry shaped all of my hats first, then sprayed them with distilled water to refine them (I don't have an adequate way to apply steam). All four of my Akubras accepted the dry crease reasonably well, but the distilled water gave me the ability to shape the felts like they were clay, and they held their new shapes extremely well after they had dried.

Does anyone know if this "Fawn" CD at JJ Hat Center ( http://www.jjhatcenter.com/collections/felt-hats/products/the-campdraft-by-akubra-in-fawn ) is Tawny/Taupe Fawn?
My money's on Taupe Fawn. To my knowledge they don't make the Campdraft in Tawny Fawn; I really wish they would.

javadave61

Practically Family
This is exactly the help I needed. I appreciate everyone's insights and experiences.

Whenever I've worn one of my Campdrafts for a while then switched to one of my Fed IVs, it seems like I'm wearing a Trilby.

That's good to know as I have my first Fed IV on its way. That'll prevent me from complaining that it looks too small. :)

javadave61

Practically Family
Okay, I had a breakthrough in understanding today thanks to you all. I finally realized why I was uncomfortable with my BGCD. I was creasing the crown low to remain within my traditional crown comfort zone. This was making the brim seem way too wide. So, I fought against my fears (pardon my over-dramatization) and went higher on the crown. I worked in the dents with the steam, and this time they held. I think they held this time because there was enough real estate in the crown for a natural dent to form. With the crown larger, the brim magically fell into perfect size. The hat is now proportional, and we're now starting to bond.

I know you guys know this stuff, but I'm hopeful you veterans find some joy in watching your little ones find their wings.

631e4ab299b43f5e6bcef8c16e6d75dc.jpg

b2979394f21e82ae121814dba783b463.jpg

0193ab9bf19fb44cae9a5cc3188d425b.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ