Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Campdraft

chicken1616

New in Town
1) My Campdraft (Moonstone, Heritage) quickly announced itself for that role, unprompted.

I love it for what it is, and did not purposefully appoint it my "You! Out in the Rain!" hat.

Yet, it so clearly handles 'weather' well, I relish having such a great, non-Ugly-Rain-Hat go-to regardless of precipitation.

Zcsv6dY.jpg

I would also mention that I enjoy the particular smell of its felt once wet, but shall refrain lest we tip into the weird.

O, wait.

2) This thread's great. Now I want another Campdraft. Yay!

3) With feels-likes of 100° these days, I am way looking forward to the return of true Felt Weather®.

~ S.
By particular smell, you mean that of a wet dog, or shall we say, a wet rabbit?:)

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I don't necessarily disagree with the above comments, but I still think it's worth asking if there's been a measurable decline in quality. The amount of spidering in that hat is beyond what seems to be the norm for many here.

Maybe it's a one off/bad luck. Those things happen. But maybe it's not.

I own two regular and one Heritage Grade CDs, along with an Akubra "Fedora." I also own many vintage hats dating back into at least the early '40s, and I don't get the Akubra opinions here. While yes, the felt isn't vintage quality I find them to be well made and attractive hats that fit right in with the rest of my collection. Some were a bit stiffer, others took creases better, and all except the fedora have been "shrink to fit." That doesn't bother me, I use to break in 501s the hard way, too.

However, I like them all. And not just "for the money," though that's a big plus.

They aren't high quality beaver customs, but they don't deserve the raking over the coals they seem to be getting here, IMHO.

I also like the smell of wet, steamed felt. Don't judge me. [emoji16]

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Nothing has been said about Akubra that hasn't been said about a modern Borso or Stetson. Suddenly everybody is aghast when I suggest sending a CD back, but nobody bats an eye about that silverbelly strat, because, Hatco, apparently.

I'm not aghast, Jerad, and you're probably right about this particular hat. I just think they're getting an overall undeserved drubbing over the past few days in this thread.

However, I like them all. And not just "for the money," though that's a big plus.

I wasn’t trying to disparage the brand or to damn them with faint praise. I too like them and sometimes from even a short distance I can’t tell if I’m looking at an Akubra or a much more expensive hat. I was just intending to relate my experiences that it’s not fair to expect the same quality from a $100 hat as you do from one costing more than twice as much.

Sorry if the tone or content of my previous posts came across as harsh or dismissive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I own two regular and one Heritage Grade CDs, along with an Akubra "Fedora." I also own many vintage hats dating back into at least the early '40s, and I don't get the Akubra opinions here. While yes, the felt isn't vintage quality I find them to be well made and attractive hats that fit right in with the rest of my collection. Some were a bit stiffer, others took creases better, and all except the fedora have been "shrink to fit." That doesn't bother me, I use to break in 501s the hard way, too.

They aren't high quality beaver customs, but they don't deserve the raking over the coals they seem to be getting here, IMHO...
We humans tend to be outspoken about the things we like, and more so about the things we don't. Akubra's hats are no different from any other modern mass-produced product--they, and every other manufacturer, can produce 100 items exactly the same way, and for whatever reason some of them will still be different in some way because there are any number of variables in the manufacturing process that can produce what we perceive as flaws, or at least variations. It's the nature of the manufacturing process. I don't think it's wrong to acknowledge these variations as long as we're reasonable about it and accept them for what they are; after all, a little too much stiffener or a misplaced stitch won't bring about the end of of the civilized world as we know it.

But I understand it when someone feels the item they've spent their hard-earned money on hasn't met their expectations, and that's why I prefer to acknowledge and discuss both the "good" and the "bad" things about Akubra hats--to balance the expectations of those who might be buying an Akubra for the first time. They aren't "top shelf" hats, but they aren't meant to be. But if you're looking for a decent "every day" hat that can take a little abuse, you could do much worse.

D00R

One of the Regulars
Hey guys, Ive been givin my CD a beating and letting it get rained on and the more it takes the happier I am with it.
The felt started shedding a bit of lint but now its much softer and feels like im wearing it and its not wearing me.
I also can lower the crown without it poppingn back up.
I got it down to about 4.5 inch tear drop bash.

Still hard to get accurate photo on a phone, looks way cooler in person.
Heres an updated pic.

Sorry for putting a damper on the thread with my conserns on the stiffness and the spidering. EverythingAustralian reached back to me and offered me a return. But I will email them and tell them I will keep it and I am working out the felt. I never wanted to return it I just wanted to know how to tame it.
The crushing and rain has been working to make it feel like my own.
Thanks to the brotherhood with all your imput on the brand from your own personal experiences.
I don’t regret owning the CD Bluegrass. The colors great. The weight is comfortable, the brim length is perfect and the sweatband is comfortable to.
This hat is a hat that gets better in time.

8D1986AB-2480-422F-95CD-D9E64F919643.jpeg

Last edited:

Just A Hat Rack

Practically Family
Hey guys, Ive been givin my CD a beating and letting it get rained on and the more it takes the happier I am with it.
The felt started shedding a bit of lint but now its much softer and feels like im wearing it and its not wearing me.

Heres an updated pic.

Sorry for putting a damper on the thread with my conserns on the stiffness and the spidering. EverythingAustralian reached back to me and offered me a return. But I will email them and tell them I will keep it and I am working out the felt. I never wanted to return it I just wanted to know how to tame it.
Thanks to the brotherhood with all your imput on the brand from your own personal experiences.
I don’t regret owning the CD Bluegrass. The colors great. The weight is comfortable, the brim length is perfect and the sweatband is comfortable to.
This hat is a hat that gets better in time I wanna View attachment 130514 am seeing as it reveals itself to me.
Good to hear that you are growing happy with the hat. I sympathize with you quite a bit in not wanting to deal with exchanges etc. I'm glad the felt has been able to have been worked out to your liking. Don't worry about all the questions you've asked. I've done my share of asking tons of questions in other threads that others may seem to find as common knowledge. If it truly bothered anyone, you probably wouldn't have gotten the help that you did. This is a great place with great folks that contains a wealth of information. Cheers and enjoy your Campdraft!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

To be fair, I just checked and Everything Australian has Campdrafts for just under $100 (not including shipping of $19). What can we rightfully expect of a $100 hat? I applaud Akubra for making a decent hat at this price point. Akubra really is without competition at this price. If we want a better hat there are many options with their corresponding increase in price.

I was looking at Akubras again recently but none of them fit what I was looking for. I ordered (another) custom from Agnoulita that with shipping ended up costing me $35 more than an Akubra with shipping, but I got the exact color, brim width, crown height, etc. that I wanted. I also was able to specify a soft crown and a slightly stiffer brim. There are options for just a bit more money, but then again a $135 “custom” is also a compromise hat and won’t stand comparison to a $300-400+ custom or to a quality vintage hat. The fact that some Akubras make it through quality control that are stiffer or coarser than others, or stiffer/coarser than what we would like, should be expected at their price point.

I think that hat every “hat person” needs at least one Akubra, just know you’re getting a $100 hat for your $100; sounds fair to me.

100% agree.

Heres an updated pic.

This hat is a hat that gets better in time I wanna View attachment 130514 am seeing as it reveals itself to me.

No need for that. Your concerns are valid and you're not the only one who has expressed them. I just didn't want you to get the idea that there aren't folks who are very happy with their Akubras.

They ain't a Rolex, they're a Timex.

"Takes a belting and keeps on felting."

Hey guys, Ive been givin my CD a beating and letting it get rained on and the more it takes the happier I am with it...
Happy to read you and your CD have survived the "honeymoon" phase of your relationship. Your concerns were valid, and we've all been there at one time or another. I really like the way you've shaped the crown and brim, and I think the hat looks great on you; that brim swoop is the perfect touch!

Happy to read you and your CD have survived the "honeymoon" phase of your relationship. Your concerns were valid, and we've all been there at one time or another. I really like the way you've shaped the crown and brim, and I think the hat looks great on you; that brim swoop is the perfect touch!

Agreed. The brim swoop might be unintentional, but I like how it looks on the hat. Symmetry is overrated.

Scuttle

One of the Regulars

Heres an updated pic.

View attachment 130514

Thanks for the update, and no worries on your stated concerns. The opposite, really: all feedback is helpful, if not always comfortable.

You and the hat both look much more relaxed. :)

~ S.

No need for that. Your concerns are valid and you're not the only one who has expressed them. I just didn't want you to get the idea that there aren't folks who are very happy with their Akubras.

They ain't a Rolex, they're a Timex.

"Takes a belting and keeps on felting."

I own a Rolex and a Timex....truth be told the Timex keeps better time and the batteries are cheap to replace. My Rolex needs to be reset every week or so and it costs $1000 for a refurbish which it needs about every decade so far. My point is I agree: there is always room in the marketplace for a good Timex.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran