Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Campdraft

Learned the hard way. I have suggested Hats by the Hundred here before, and I now take it all back. I ordered a Silverbelly Campdraft from them as a treat for my 50th birthday and they screwed me. Other people have complained about their service and shipping, and up until now I have had decent shipping and "adequate" customer service from them, but now I know what everyone was talking about. Two things: First, they stuffed it into a box that was way too small, so the top of the hat is flattened, the sides are wrinkled, and because of the extremely moist weather on its way here, it is like it was steamed into this wrinkled and flattened shape. Second, since the sizes tend to vary a bit between hats, I specifically put a note in my order asking for a 60cm that would err closer to 61cm than 59cm, and it is as if they PURPOSELY picked the "smallest" 60cm they could find. This thing fits like a 59cm that errs closer to 58cm. So even if I get it professionally repaired, it will still be too small. That is the second time they have done that specific thing to me. (Yes, I know "fool me once..", but I gave the benefit of the doubt.) Now, it is going to cost me $28 to send it back. So, I officially recommend that you steer very clear of Hats by the Hundred and listen to what the others in the lounge have said about them. I wish I did. Yes, I am bitter. I am like a kid at Christmas who opens his (too small) gift box only to find a lump of coal with a bill.

I’ve ordered from Hats by the Hundred three times: two failures and one success. My Kentucky Rancher arrived perfectly, but my other two were distorted from being forced into a boxes that were too small for them. They also arrived in shipping boxes rather than hat boxes inside shipping boxes.

I’d insist that they pay for the return shipping for the poor packaging. As for fit, I can see that not every company can tell you how it’s going to fit (a large size X or a small size X). I’ve heard of The Hattery (Hats Direct) and David Morgan doing that, but those are the exceptions rather than the rule.

If I can avoid it I’m not planning on buying from them again. I did it with the Kentucky Rancher because no one else had it and I think it’s being discontinued.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I want to treat myself to a new hat being I am back to work. Wanted a Campdraft in Fawn. I have lighter hats and they always get grubby so I wanted a darker colour then silverberry. But it looks like it’s sold out most places. Looks like I will have to wait or choose something else. I only ordered from HatsDirect and Everythingaustrslian. Are there any other vendors to look at that ships to Canada? Looks like it’s missing from the Akubra webpage. I assume that means it’s a vendor specific item now.... I hope.
Johnny

Last edited:

GLewis

New in Town
I want to treat myself to a new hat being I am back to work. Wanted a Campdraft in Fawn. I have lighter hats and they always get grubby so I wanted a darker colour then silverberry. But it looks like it’s sold out most places. Looks like I will have to wait or choose something else. I only ordered from HatsDirect and Everythingaustrslian. Are there any other vendors to look at that ships to Canada? Looks like it’s missing from the Akubra webpage. I assume that means it’s a vendor specific item now.... I hope.
Johnny
Have you tried Strand Hatters? I’m in the process of receiving an Akubra Bowler for them.

Johnny

David Morgan says that they’ll be carrying the Campdraft, but nothing there yet. I asked when they expected them in and they told me they were supposed to arrive three months ago.

nickjames1986

New in Town
Good to jazz up my campdraft. Now just to find a feather and get a nice western hat band!

Attachments

• 577ADF2E-6F3D-4432-82ED-1727BAD67EDF.jpeg
    577ADF2E-6F3D-4432-82ED-1727BAD67EDF.jpeg
    884.9 KB · Views: 1,406

ProfCharles

New in Town
I was looking for a silverbelly hat and loved the Akubra variation which is more sand/tan than silver. But I like it.
Anyway, was fortunate to have our own Belfastboy have a new one in my size. And being he’s a hatter, I asked for a ribbon upgrade. He’s just fantastic to work with! Already have other projects in queue.
As for the CD…It’s a GREAT hat and I like it even more with the new ribbon. Bashing was tricky because it’s stiff felt but steam and water, and some finesse got it to where I want it! Thanks Robert
BDBB391D-E39E-4B43-8EDA-6A8A35B0B604.jpeg
2AB3DF92-DFE0-4F5F-8BCB-38991B1FED6C.jpeg
278132B7-40B2-4559-83CD-A8E4DE9B8C5E.jpeg

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
I was looking for a silverbelly hat and loved the Akubra variation which is more sand/tan than silver. But I like it.
Anyway, was fortunate to have our own Belfastboy have a new one in my size. And being he’s a hatter, I asked for a ribbon upgrade. He’s just fantastic to work with! Already have other projects in queue.
As for the CD…It’s a GREAT hat and I like it even more with the new ribbon. Bashing was tricky because it’s stiff felt but steam and water, and some finesse got it to where I want it! Thanks Robert
View attachment 399801 View attachment 399802 View attachment 399800

Wonderful ribbon upgrade. Love the overall shape and bash. @belfastboy is definitely the new hatter in town to go to.

You did a great job on the bash. When I pulled it out to sell to you I began to have second thoughts....thinking, damn this is a nice hat. I really am a fan of Akubra hats especially the CD. They represent such great value. Enjoy it!

ProfCharles

New in Town
You did a great job on the bash. When I pulled it out to sell to you I began to have second thoughts....thinking, damn this is a nice hat. I really am a fan of Akubra hats especially the CD. They represent such great value. Enjoy it!
When you sent me the finished photo I actually said to myself, ohh he’s gonna keep it now! LoL
I’m grateful to have it on my head now.
And the color in the photos is pretty accurate to how it looks in person, I know a lot of people aren’t sure if the Akubra version is Silverbelly. It’s more a warm hue. The Open Road in person has more a cool hue.

Mm25

Practically Family
Wow, that is really nice. The band changes everything. I have four camp drafts and I had to look twice before I believed it.

Mighty44

One Too Many
That looks so good I think it’s going to give a lot of people ideas…Well done Robert @belfastboy . Is the brim still 2 7/8?

David

Rumad

One Too Many
Hi all—the snowy weather here convinced me to finally order that bluegrass green Campdraft I’ve been wanting from the Hattery. Any idea how long a wait I am in for?

David
Somebody still has the BGCD? I thought they were all gone. Good for you. Are you in the states? I got my SBCD a few years ago so I don’t remember literally how long it took but I do remember it wasn’t too bad. Got to me sooner than I thought it would. Good luck.

Mighty44

One Too Many
Thanks both. Days instead of weeks or months would be terrific! @Rumad I live in NYC but in Vermont this week with 8 inches of snow today. ;)

Somebody still has the BGCD? I thought they were all gone. Good for you. Are you in the states? I got my SBCD a few years ago so I don’t remember literally how long it took but I do remember it wasn’t too bad. Got to me sooner than I thought it would. Good luck.

My last order was about 11 business days. Pretty remarkable really.

LEOSTARK

New in Town
Hey folks, I come to you with 2 questions if possible.

-What are the current consensus about Hats By The 100? is AustralianGear run by the same people running Hats By The 100?

-Flipping through this thread I have fallen in love with CDs. For folks who have Banjo Patersons (the first hat that grabbed my attention from Akubra), how do they compare to Campdrafts? I know the brim shape is a little different, the Banjo has a higher quality felt, and the Banjo has a slightly tapered crown, but which one do you prefer? Do you think the style is interchangeable and equally comfortable and versatile? If you were to have one (probably unrealistic). Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Hey folks, I come to you with 2 questions if possible.

-What are the current consensus about Hats By The 100? is AustralianGear run by the same people running Hats By The 100?
Well, according to their websites they're owned by the same company and are operating out of the same address. I'd say yes, different names, but same company run by the same people.
-Flipping through this thread I have fallen in love with CDs. For folks who have Banjo Patersons (the first hat that grabbed my attention from Akubra), how do they compare to Campdrafts? I know the brim shape is a little different, the Banjo has a higher quality felt, and the Banjo has a slightly tapered crown, but which one do you prefer? Do you think the style is interchangeable and equally comfortable and versatile? If you were to have one (probably unrealistic). Thanks in advance.
I have three Campdrafts, but don't own a Banjo Paterson yet. The Campdraft has a slightly wider brim that probably doesn't mean spit when you're under the Australian sun in the outback during summer; I'd guess the shape of the Banjo's brim offers better sun protection. Other than that? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ If I had to choose one or the other, I'd get a Banjo Paterson and live with it for a while just to see which I prefer and which better suits my needs. If I was choosing a hat for spending a lot of time under the sun, whether in Australia or the continental U.S., I"d probably go with the Heritage Fawn Banjo Paterson.

new2hats

A-List Customer
I think Hats by 100 and Australian gear is Spectum Online P/L trading as Australian Gear.

I do want to order from them, as I like their videos. That guy in it seems friendly and the info is always helpful. Anyone know if he is an owner?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ