Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra CEO or Akubra Sydney

cab

New in Town
Being very new to the site, can someone please help me understand the differences in these models? Many Thanks.

Donato

One of the Regulars
cab said:
Being very new to the site, can someone please help me understand the differences in these models? Many Thanks.
Hi Cab, and welcome to the Lounge. Here is a start. For more information, try using the search engine. It is quite useful here.

Akubra C.E.O. Hat (Taken from EverythingAustralian.com)

C.E.O. Short for Chief Executive Officer, a hat for the successful businessman. From the Fashion Collection, a great accessory for your suits. Satin ribbon hatband and bound edge brim.
# Brim: 70 mm (2.75")
# Crown height: 14 cm (5.5")

Akubra Sidney (Taken from DavidMorgan.com)

It is usually worn with a simple lengthwise center crease and the front of the brim snapped down as popularized in the 1888 play by V. Sardou. The fur felt is a lighter weight felt, using a special selection of finer fur, but otherwise similar to Akubra's Imperial Quality felt. Fully lined, with a 2-1/2 inch brim and a reeded roan leather sweatband, the Sydney is an extremely comfortable hat from the first wearing. 5-1/2 inch open crown.
Brim: 2.5"
Crown: 5.5" - Open crown, meaning you can bash it into your style.

NonEntity

Suspended
I have no first-hand (first-head?) experience with the CEO, but I just got a Sydney a month ago and absolutely love it.

You can read on web sites as well as anyone about the crown and brim specs and so forth, but the key characteristic of the Sydney is the soft pure rabbit fur felt of which it is constructed. This is the only hat Akubra offers in this version of its Imperial Quality felt

An open crown true fedora, you can shape it any way you like, but because the Sydney is so soft and pliable, the bash/dents will not stay as readily as stiffer Akubras or most other hats. On the other hand, the brim has remained quite snappy even though I've worn it through a few rain storms.

My charcoal Sydney goes as well with, on the dressy end, a business suit or, on the casual side, a blazer, tweed sport jacket, or even pea coat.

It's a very versatile fedora that feels great the first time you put it on and requires no break-in. It's already my favorite hat!

RockBottom

One of the Regulars
NonEntity said:
I have no first-hand (first-head?) experience with the CEO, but I just got a Sydney a month ago and absolutely love it.

It's a very versatile fedora that feels great the first time you put it on and requires no break-in. It's already my favorite hat!

I second that.

toobacat

One of the Regulars
I have a Sidney that I bought recently and I like it. It is soft and easy to shape, and mine fits perfect. I guess it's my starter fedora.

Spellflower

Practically Family
The CEO has a wider brim, and it is bound, meaning that a ribbon is folded over the edge and sewn on. Also, though I don't own one, I seem to remember reading that the brim on the CEO is designed to stay down all around.

The Sydney (also sold as The Fedora by hatsdirect.com) has a narrower brim, and it is raw, meaning that it was simply cut and sanded down. The Sydney also has a wind trolley (a cord that wraps around with the ribbon and has a button on the end; on windy days you can use it to thether your hat to your jacket. )

There are some differences in color availability, and as NonEntity pointed out, the felt on the Sydney is different. There may be differences in the ribbons too, but I'm not sure.

Spellflower

Practically Family
toobacat said:
I have a Sidney that I bought recently and I like it. It is soft and easy to shape, and mine fits perfect. I guess it's my starter fedora.

That's what I bought mine as. I couldnt' find anything I could afford on ebay that was my size and color preference, so I bought a Fedora to cover me until I did.

Now that I have some vintage hats, it's getting less wear, and I'm considering selling it. If anyone wears a size 59 (7 3/8), and wants to give one of these a try for cheap, drop me a line.

Winsor

New in Town
Akubra CEO-Cruiser Grey

I don't know the Akubra Sydney, although it is on my "want" list for someday. I did receive a new Akubra CEO in Cruiser Grey from my wife for Christmas. I had tried it on for size at Aaron Hats in North Conway, NH so she arranged with Aaron to "secretly" obtain it for me as a gift. It is a BEAUTIFUL hat, in a hard to find light gray color. It is totally preshaped and is firm, not mushy. The crown has a beautiful modified center crease that looks formed on a block, with two slight dents at the front, but not a tight pinch. The brim is very curvy, also preshaped and firm but not stiff. the matching color band and hemmed edge are beautifully done and understated, not loud. The brim is slightly wide, for great sun shading. I get lots of compliments on this hat. Do not buy this hat too tight. Mine is a 60 cm and I added a strip of plain dry (not adhered) felt material benind the band but I may be able to remove it soon. A great hat, especially if you want to own only one fine hat.

NonEntity

Suspended
Spellflower said:
The Sydney (also sold as The Fedora by hatsdirect.com) has a narrower brim, and it is raw, meaning that it was simply cut and sanded down. The Sydney also has a wind trolley (a cord that wraps around with the ribbon and has a button on the end; on windy days you can use it to thether your hat to your jacket.)

My Akubra Sydney from David Morgan did not come with a wind trolley. Are you sure the Fedora and the Sydney are one and the same?

toobacat

One of the Regulars
My Sidney does not have a wind trolley either. Not sure how long the Sidney has been around, but maybe they changed the design of it.

Mustang

One of the Regulars
I"m sure someone already said this, but I'll repeat it for the sake of confirmation:

The Sydney doesn't have a bound brim, the CEO does. Because of that, I'd say the Sydney is, relatively speaking, more casual than the CEO.

By the way, I just ordered a Sydney for myself in "regency fawn" (color) :D

Spellflower

Practically Family
NonEntity said:
My Akubra Sydney from David Morgan did not come with a wind trolley. Are you sure the Fedora and the Sydney are one and the same?

Ron at HatsDirect.com assured me that they were the same hat, but it's possible there's been a change. I suppose the only way to be completely sure would be to order a Fedora from HD and a Sydney from DM and compare them, but short of that you could email each company and see what they say.

I'll try to post some pics of my Fedora later today; if someone posts some of their Sydney, maybe we can do a virtual comparison.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24