Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra CEO vs. Fed IV Deluxe

Goose.

Practically Family
Johnny...like that Jazzy gent that drinks Cocktails says...your Fed is not tapered. Look at the pic of my Fed and CEO on the table (a previous post in this thread). You see that the Fed line from the brim to the crown is straight. The CEO curves (tapers) up to the top. So the MacFly thesis on "H" Vs. "A" is perfect. Anyway, GREAT job on the hat Johhny :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

And Johnny, I don't think that is a center dent on your lid. Looks like it "may" be a C crown. Hard to tell without of pic of the top of your lid.
But, here's the same two hats I mentioned in the above paragraph. The Federation is a C and the CEO is a Center Dent (though most CDs don't seem to have the hump in the center...which works for my high noggin):

501265453_mSVW9-S-1.jpg

MacFly and JazznCocktails...Truth be told, I think it has more to do with me being in love with my FIVD than the C.E.O. having any problems. It's not that I don't like the CEO, it's just that I don't like it as much as my Fed.

It could be the items that make it diff than the Fed that I'm not used to:

A> Taper
B> Downturned brim (I'm not a safari kinda guy)
C> Stifness
D> All of the above

BUT, it just may be because it's all new to me. Like a new dog in the pack, guess I gotta sniff it's rear before I accept it into my hat gang. ;)

Wearing it today...and I already feel more comfortable with it. Will keep you posted this evening after the day out with it.

Stay tuned. Same Bat Channel...

WOMBAT said:
is this Aubra hat made of felt or rabbit skin ?
Rabbit fur. Eight bunnies to make a Federation IV Deluxe (read that here before).
Here's my next Carbon Grey lid in the early stage of development...

501294974_ZLj2G-Ti.jpg

macfly

Familiar Face
i hear ya. i like having different hats for different moods. the fed seems more dressy to me. i can wear it with anything but it gives more of a 30s dress feel to me. the ceo is dressy too but for some reason imparts a slightly more styled, city feel to me. i can dress it up or down.
if that hat in your avatar is the ceo i actually think it looks pretty cool on you. but if you arent the safari type you should definitely steam the brim rear and turn it up like your other fedoras. it should hold the curve and i bet it will be much more to your liking.

Johnny.

New in Town
Goose. said:

And Johnny, I don't think that is a center dent on your lid. Looks like it "may" be a C crown. Hard to tell without of pic of the top of your lid.
But, here's the same two hats I mentioned in the above paragraph. The Federation is a C and the CEO is a Center Dent (though most CDs don't seem to have the hump in the center...which works for my high noggin):

Here's the dent on my lid:

S6300027.jpg

Tad hard to see but it's basically a dent that runs the length of the crown. Same dent as Indy's hat.

And by the way, I like the CEO. Very nice "Australian" hat.

Goose.

Practically Family
Johnny. said:
Here's the dent on my lid:
Tad hard to see but it's basically a dent that runs the length of the crown. Same dent as Indy's hat.

And by the way, I like the CEO. Very nice "Australian" hat.
Great shot and great center dent Johnny! :eusa_clap

And, I'm liking that CEO quite a bit, thanks.

Now go stow your jeans so that drawer will close flush soldier!!!

Sgt. Goose.
P-38 Expert Qualification
:D ;)

Wil Tam

Practically Family
not digging the taper

nah ... I don't like the taper on the CEO ... it's been established that a stovepipe works best for me ;)

Goose.

Practically Family
Hey Macfly...
I do like the hat. I just don't like it as much as my Federation. As for curling the rear brim, I don't think that would work as well as if it was dimensional. Plus, it's pretty stiff. I'm going to keep it as it was made...at least for now.

That was the CEO in my avatar...but I change my avatar often just because I can. So, I posted that pic below. Thanks for stating it looks cool, I have received compliments on it. Actually, more compliments in the first two days of wearing it than I received with my Federation. Certainly do like the fern color. However, overall, I simply like my Fed better.

Will Tam and Jazzncocktails...Like Boris' hat, I'm thinking the taper puts me off a bit as well...but I'm guessing some people will like it. My face/head seem to feel at home in the right angles of the Fed.

Today was kind of windy, this CEO catches the wind for certain. The rigid brim doesn't flop around like my Panama Plantation, but it feels like I'm about ready to take off. But you simply can't beat the shade that brim offers!!!

Again, not that I do not like the CEO. I do like it and I'm gonna wear it. Just like my Fed better. Though my wife and others like the CEO on me better than the Federation, the Fed felt right the first time and everytime to me.

For me, certainly do not regret getting the CEO at all...good to have in rotation. But the Federation's tough to beat and is what I imagine the picture I'd see in a dictionary for "hat". ;)

501370301_QL54X-S-1.jpg
502306743_vUoiZ-M.jpg

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
Goose. said:
the Fed felt right the first time and everytime to me.

For me, the Federation's tough to beat and is what I imagine the picture I'd see in a dictionary for "hat". ;)
I'm with you on that estimation of the Fed, Goose. Just got a Miller Milan straw in the mail (haven't taken pics yet), and while the brim is about the same width as the Fed (but not dimensional), the crown is much lower. After wearing my high crowned Fed so much, it throws me off to see what looks by comparison like a little pin-head with a big brim. The Milan is going to be a great summer hat, but hard to get my head out of that Fed. Yours in the avatar looks great , by the way.

James71

A-List Customer
Heres a few shots I took while I was playing with my phone on the train. I think the fern green CEO goes very nicely with the black suit and green silk tie. It definitely isnt just a casual hat.

30062010492.jpg

30062010490.jpg

30062010498.jpg

30062010493.jpg

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
James71 said:
Heres a few shots I took while I was playing with my phone on the train. I think the fern green CEO goes very nicely with the black suit and green silk tie. It definitely isnt just a casual hat.

30062010493.jpg
It does look good, I imagine the way it's supposed to--suit with hat for a CEO look. Thanks for posting it. I was wondering what it would look like actually on somebody, and now I know. There may be an Akubra in my future.

Tone

A-List Customer
Does go well with a suit, James71. I'm not a fan of the tapered hats myself, but...I'm starting to see why people are choosing the CEO over the FED IV, even if the pre-creased CEO is a bit tapered.

Johnny, are you still actually wearing your FED IV hat like this?

S6300033.jpg

Neophyte

I was going to get the CEO to fill my "green hat" niche, but, like you, I did not like the idea of a downturned brim. So I found the closest thing to it, a Willow Green Squatter with a snap brim:

WillowGreenHat.jpg

It's got a slight bit of taper to it, but nowhere near the amount visible on the precreased CEO. It's become my favorite hat over the Federation IV, partly because it is extremely soft but stiff (keeps shape really well), and partly because, well, I somehow got my Fed IV to look like this, and it is now beyond fixing:

FedIVOutside.jpg

.......yeah, I messed it up real bad. Also, the Fed IV seems really small to me now that I've been wearing the Squatter. It feels smaller than my Fedora/Sydney, which I can't explain.[huh]

Tone

A-List Customer
Looks like the CEO and the Sydney share the same crown. I've seen some great-looking Squatters with their brim trimmed, though. Nice, angular fedoras from them.

danofarlington

James71 said:
Neophyte raises a good issue for the CEO. Can you turn up the back part of the brim if you want to? And, would you want to, or not want to, with that hat?

Neophyte

The CEO does not have a snap brim. Someone earlier referred to this as a "safari" look. That is what deterred my in the first place.
I wouldn't really mind the taper on the CEO or Squatter (though to be honest, there is little taper to the Squatter), as these hats seem more like great weather hats than "stylin'" about-town hats. You may have seen this picture I posted earlier demonstrating the Squatter's protective capabilities, and I suspect the CEO to fulfill much the same role:

FedoraCaughtInRain.jpg

The Federation is obviously going to be more of a fashion hat than the CEO or Squatter. This is obvious both because of it's dimensions, the lack of taper, and most importantly, the fact that it was designed firstly as an Indy hat and secondly as a close replication of the 30's style hats. For everyday wear, I would definitely expect you to prefer the look of the Fed IV over the CEO.

danofarlington

Neophyte said:
The CEO does not have a snap brim. Someone earlier referred to this as a "safari" look. .
I guess that's a good way to look at it. It looks very good on James71 up there, but I'm not sure I want to get a whole new hat with the safari look. It might be fine, but it might get limited use. Actually myself, I'm not a Fed IV or Indy look fan. The high crowns don't look so good on me, which is why I favor Borsalino. But I would buy Akubra Squatter or CEO, am seriously considering those.

James71

A-List Customer
Neophyte said:
The Federation is obviously going to be more of a fashion hat than the CEO or Squatter. This is obvious... .

With all due respect might I suggest you see one in the flesh and with different outfits and on different people before making that assumption? The CEO is a very dressy and well finished hat and goes very well with a suit. Particularly for people who look better with a larger brim.

The back would turn up very easily with the application of a little steam, but why would you do that when the Campdraft comes that way and open crowned?

Neophyte

If you're considering the Squatter, check out DavidMorgan. I wish I had, because they offer it in Fawn and Black, two colors that are not available from HatsDirect.

Also, you've become humorously confusing by stating that you might like to buy a CEO immediately after making this comment--- "but I'm not sure I want to get a whole new hat with the safari look". :D

Neophyte said:
If you're considering the Squatter, check out DavidMorgan. I wish I had, because they offer it in Fawn and Black, two colors that are not available from HatsDirect.
The Squatter from DavidMorgan is almost a totally different hat than the current OEM Akubra model. Different quality of felt, with a liner & chinstrap hooks.

danofarlington

Neophyte said:

Also, you've become humorously confusing by stating that you might like to buy a CEO immediately after making this comment--- "but I'm not sure I want to get a whole new hat with the safari look". :D
Well, I'm of two minds on the CEO. On the one hand it looks really good on James71, it's a look I like, matching with dress clothes and all. On the other hand I haven't gone for the safari look. I don't want to bore people all with my personal deliberations, but I could go for it. The Akubra prices certainly make it feasible. The holdup is in collecting too many hats. So you're right about conflicting signals, but the darn thing looks good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner