Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra CEO

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
Anyone have any firsthand knowledge of this hat? I saw it while looking for an Akubra seller and there is not much detailed information about it. The price seems to vary greatly between sellers as well, from $74 to $110.

AkubraCeo.jpg

Spellflower

Practically Family
I've heard nothing but great stuff about Akubra, and my Federation and Fedora both confirm the hype. I imagine the CEO is equally high quality. Akubra is a very old family run company that has the good fortune to be located in a country which has the bad fortune to have an invasive species (rabbits) which happens to have a hide that makes some terrific felt. The liners and craftsmanship on my Akubras is also very good, though, now that I think of it, there is one little irregularity in the felt of my Fedora, kind of like a clump of thicker hairs. I was a little bit disappointed by this, but it's not noticeable to anyone not closely examining the hat, and I didn't feel like paying shipping all the way back to Oz, then shipping for a replacement.

As for where to buy Akubras, if it's not one that Aaron carries, take his advice, and buy from Australia, hatsdirect.com, to be exact. Ron, the proprietor provides excellent individual customer service through email. Also, hatsdirect is the online part of an old Australian hat shop, The Hattery, which I had the good fortune to visit a few months ago. It's a great store where they really know and appreciate good hats, and take a lot of time to make sure customers get the right one in the right size, despite the fact that they're located in a tourist town, and could probably sell any old junk to a lot of the people who wander into their shop. I've got a picture of their milliner bashing my Federation which I'll post one of these days.

Cheers!

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The CEO

A rare pic of me and my Akubra CEO (I don't have a digital camera):

hh2.jpg

All of my hats are Akubras, they're sturdy, look great and come highly recommended.

Russ

One of the Regulars
That's the CEO on your head? All I can say is WOW! How does it compare to the Federation? Is the crown straight sided?

riccardo

Practically Family
Benny Holiday said:
A rare pic of me and my Akubra CEO (I don't have a digital camera):

hh2.jpg

All of my hats are Akubras, they're sturdy, look great and come highly recommended.

Hi to all,
wow great hat.
With rear brim up it looks great.
Why don't they show it in this shape.
Great hat.
Take a look at the aaron site.

Riccardo.

Fedora

Vendor
I like the looks of that hat. CEO seems to be a strange name though. Looks more like a safari style of hat. I like it with the brim turned downwards, front and back.

Akubra used to be better than they are now, feltwise. I forget what the cutoff year is, but have heard there was a change in fur at that time. I assume they just stopped using the wild rabbit and wild hare fur and moved to the farmed fur, but can't say for sure. Akubra was the only modern brand of felt that I would reblock when I was doing non AB reblocks. It is a good felt even now and will take the stretching that you have to do in reblocking without tearing. The factory pouncing is done quickly, but you can hand pounce this felt out to a really nice soft and smooth finish. And the price is great through Ron Lilburne at Hatsdirect. Plus, they are fast on most of their orders. Back when the exchange rates were favorable you could pick up a nice hat from them for less than 80 bucks. Fedora

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Note that Aaron hats has this hat in black, in several sizes. Aaron Hats is good to members of The Fedora Lounge.
Easier to ship from/back to US location as well.

Bud-n-Texas

Practically Family
scotrace said:
Note that Aaron hats has this hat in black, in several sizes. Aaron Hats is good to members of The Fedora Lounge.
Easier to ship from/back to US location as well.

In message #2 he made no mention of it, in fact he suggested buying direct???????????????

Aaron Hats

Vendor
Bud-n-Texas said:
In message #2 he made no mention of it, in fact he suggested buying direct???????????????

We do have the CEO in black but it is considerably more than buying from Ron in Australia. Unfortunately Akubra doesn't make it easy for US stores to carry certain styles, thus making them more expensive. We carry some for those folks who don't feel comfortable buying from Australia or those who like to come in and try on first.

If you decide to place an order be sure to mention your FL member name for the 10% discount.

Spellflower

Practically Family
That's too bad to hear that you think the Akubra quality's gone down, Fedora. I'll have to stop quoting your rave reviews of them! Nonetheless, I'm quite happy with both of mine (besides that one irregularity). They're good everyday hats, since I know that if anything happens to them they were relatively inexpensive and are very replaceable. Someday I hope I can get one of yours, but in the mean time I'm glad I've got the option of something more durable than a Stetson.

As for the "CEO" name, I think it's due to the bound brim, which gives it a swankiness that would be a bit out of place on your head while tracking elephants across the Sahara. It looks like a very nice hat. I wish they had it in brown.

Fedora

Vendor
[/That's too bad to hear that you think the Akubra quality's gone down, Fedora. QUOTE]

Don't misunderstand me on this one. I am not saying Akubra is making bad felt, I am just saying they used to be better. There is a difference here. I like the felt they use today, as it can be finished out nicely and is durable too. And, I am just repeating what someone told me sometime ago. So, it is heresay, and anecdotal at best. Certainly not gospel. I have only seen one older Akubra, and the felt on that particular hat seemed to be noticably finer, and softer. I think the Akubras are still a good choice if money is the deciding factor. Fedora

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My sister got a grey CEO a few years ago from Hatsdirect. Very nice looking hat. As good a quality as any Akubra, and if you look around the lounge most agree its one of the best modern hats on the market. If you go with one you will not regret it.
Johnny

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany