Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Lightning Ridge

Bebop

Practically Family
I have not heard much about the Akubra Lightning Ridge and I have one that is a few months old. Recently I started wearing it and it seems to be a great lightweight, durable hat that has a nice, wider brim than most of my fedoras. It is great in the rain and seems to be very well made. I would post a photo but I am not anywhere near my camera or personal computer. Anyone else love their Lightning Ridge?

cab

New in Town
Does anyone have the Lightning Ridge in the Sand color? I love the pictures posted on the various sites but have not seen one in person. How does the wider brim make the Lightning Ridge more "casual" than the Banjo Patterson? Thanks.

NonEntity

Suspended
I don't own a Lightning Ridge but checked one out in person recently alongside a Banjo Patterson when I was shopping Akubras.

Everything else being equal, a wider brim makes a hat more casual, but such is not the case in comparing these two overall.

At 3 inches, the Lightning's brim is a 1/4-inch wider than the Banjo, but the Banjo has a wide center crease and a Barramundi skin hatband while the Lightning's crease is narrower and has a smooth leather hatband with an opal on the side, two features that make it less casual and balance it pretty much equivalent to the Banjo purely in terms of "casualness.".

I have seen both hats offered with different hatbands--it depends on the vendor--so heads up on that. Both have 4 1/2-inch crowns as measured on the side, are lined, with premium roan leather sweatbands, and are constructed of Akubra's finest, Heritage Collection, felt.

Only the Lighting Ridge is available in sand--almost as light as the silver belly color of the famous Stetson Open Road--which coordinates with any color of clothing except pure white.

DnSchlng

One of the Regulars
I know this is an old thread but I would really liketo see some pictures because ive been thinking about getting one.

jkingrph

Practically Family
I have a couple of the Banjo Patterson models. The charcoal I do not care so much about, but the fawn color is nice and it gets a lot of wear. Size and shape are nice and the fish skin hatband looks classy. My bad weather model is the "Territory" which has I think a 4 or 4+" brim. It looks somewhat like a safari hat but with a modest leather hatband. It is good in the sun or in rain, at least it keeps my glasses and ears dry, and no water gets down the back of my neck. Sorta like wearing an umbrella on your head, but keeps the hands free. I did add a braided chin strap from David Morgan to keep from loosing it in high winds. I loop it up over the back of the brim if wind is not too high .

Macbeth

One of the Regulars
Akubra Banjo Patterson OR Lightning Ridge??

I'm pretty new to hats and have acquired a few in last couple of months off of the "bay" and have been fairly pleased.

I bought an Akubra "Down Under" with the Indy Bash, which I really like! And a "Snowy River in Fawn" that I also like, but not quite as much.
After reading about the Akubras, I decided I wanted one in the Heritage Collection and came upon the Banjo Patterson and the Lightning Ridge.

Looking at the pictures of them, I like them both, but am torn.....which one?? (I know I'll end up getting both, eventually) but which one NOW, for a NEW, Pristine hat for me.

I'm one of those "older guys" at 71 and kind of "hack around town" now. Retired, and wear my A-2 Aero that I just got used and love.

For you guys who actually HAVE OWNED both, what are your observations?

My very first thread here and I'm guessing this has been discussed before....so go easy on me.

RJR

I don't have both....BUT...I am 71,retired and run around in A-2s.I have and really like a Banjo.I have a Down Under& a Snowy River as well,the Banjo gets more noggin time.

Macbeth

One of the Regulars
Wow! You sound JUST like me! And just the person I was looking for to comment!

So, now we have ONE vote for the Banjo! (They, both the Banjo and Lightning) don't seem to come up on the bay. I suppose it's because most people prefer to KEEP them.

RJR....almost moved to Iowa.....but WOW! the winters are BRUTAL! One older fellow told me...."Son, people don't move INTO Iowa.....they move OUT!"

Of course down here, we have some BRUTAL Hurricanes!!

elveston

Familiar Face
Just my 2 cents. I have two Banjos and a Sand Leisure Time (no light colored Banjos). I looked at the Lightning Ridge in Sand since it basically a Banjo with a slightly wider brim. It comes down to color and brim width. Either way, a great hat.

wine65

One of the Regulars
I have a Banjo I purchased used from Blackthorn and love it. It's my go to outdoor activity hat when the weather is cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I couldn't decide either and after obsessivng way too much I figured "Hey-I'm 65 and got better things to do!" So I got a sand "Lightning Ridge" (with the opal in the band) for Spring/Summer and the Banjo Patterson in heritage fawn for Fall/Winter. I didn't want to hem and haw when I knew I'd buy both anyway. So get a sand in one style now..a darker color in the other style when it gets cooler. (The sand "Lightning Ridge" has a little bit of a Raylan look from the show Justified, which I didn't realize until I wore it a while. Nothing wrong with that!)
I also went a tad nutz-ier and got a Coober Pedy from David Morgan and had them put chin straps and a leather band on it. It does get windy here, especially downtown and I didn't want to worry about losing the hat...plus I'll wear the CP fishing and just generally around outdoors when I expect to be a little more active.
I figure I'm set for life now and hoping for another 15+ years! By the way, everybody tells me "You've never looked better in any hat!" referring to the Ridge or the Banjo, depending on which I'm wearing. And all three lids fit great and just make me feel good to wear them...which is why I have hats in the first place.

Last edited:

Macbeth

One of the Regulars
So glad to hear you guys really like BOTH hats. And Gargs, I'm actually thinking the very same thing: get the SAND Lightning Ridge NOW and get the Banjo later.
(however, my doc says later for me might be a lot shorter than I'd like!)

And, I'm a tad nuts myself: I always go overboard when getting stuff.....seems like I get multiples of all the stuff I like. My wife's usual comment when the postlady honks the horn in the morning and I go out to get a package...."What did you get NOW?" The real answer would be....."What I want!"

I'm leaning toward the Lightning Ridge Sand at this moment......I have an Open Road Silverbelly I just ordered because the deal was too good to pass up. $99. So, those would be my only 2 light colored hats.

Seems like few retailers stock the Lightning Ridge. And it's one of the most expensive Akubras.

Last edited:

RJR

You can't go wrong with either.I have a Coolabah as well,looks very much like the L.R.
I've been to Ft.Polk in the summer,I'll take the Iowa winter!

Macbeth

One of the Regulars
Good point, GTDean! Hadn't thought of that. Also it seems at the moment, more places have the Banjo.

I DID find the Banjo for about $163. For sure I need a light color.

Yep, RJR, summers are sweltering here. All us Southeast Louisianans have gills and webbed feet!!

Oops! Just checked color of BP and only Fawn and charcoal. Got several hats in Fawn. ( which I like). Sand would be better for our summers!

Last edited:

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I myself have had both of these hats at one time or another. I really liked the opal inset on the band and the sand color of the Lightning Ridge, and they were both great hats. The Lightning Ridge has a slightly wider brim, slightly shorter and more tapered crown in comparison to the Banjo. Basically the only thing I could do to tweak the Lightning Ridge was to adjust the height of the front of the crown and give it a tighter pinch. The Banjo has just a tad more crown and a tad less taper to it, so you can tweak it a little more if the initial shape's not to your liking. The Banjo is definitely the more "urban" of the two with its shorter brim. I say get both, but if you have to get only one, get the Banjo. I would only prioritize the Lightning Ridge over the Banjo if you like the Sand color and the opal inset. I myself much preferred the Lightning Ridge for these reasons.

Lightning Ridge in Sand (I gave the brim a slight upwards curve on the sides)
13976701173_b74abe2557_o.png

Banjo in Heritage Fawn
12909120943_915d6f6d33.jpg

Last edited:

Macbeth

One of the Regulars
Neophyte, thanks so much for pics of you wearing both. I prefer the Lightning Ridge on you.
Where did you purchase your LR?

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
DavidMorgan, though it is seems more expensive than I remember it being when I bought it from them a couple of years ago. You could buy most Akubra hats WITH express shipping from EverythingAustralian.com.au for a lower price than any hat you buy at DM with standard shipping. However, I like to support the sole importer of Akubras in the US, their shipping and service are impeccable, and it would be much less of a hassle to return a hat or exchange it if it's not to my liking.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider