Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
My new Akubra Safari in Tawny Fawn from Everything Australian arrived today.

193476f4bfc6622d1ed1c6745211c8b8.jpg

e6ad6ed199ec012854981dca6f3a5c7d.jpg

Very nice hat!

Is the photo true to the actual color of the hat?

Fed

ingineer

One Too Many
Thanks Harv for letting us know;
I wish that did come in an olive colour
Can't seem to do any colour correction on my new hat just out of the box
BGG CD on a CBG

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Harv for letting us know;
I wish that did come in an olive colour
Can't seem to do any colour correction on my new hat just out of the box
BGG CD on a CBG

that is just gorgeous

I'm expecting one in the mail .... seeing this pic makes me happy I made the purchase

After my obligatory 3 month wait (I ordered this in February), I've received my first Akubra, a Fedora, from EA. The color is Burnt Oak. The brim is 2.5"

As it arrived, well packed and open crown. My first open crown.
eO9NkOfm.jpg

Drove me nuts. As soon as I received it, I had to put it back in the box and head down to the baseball game. So this morning before work, I gave it a good steaming and brushing.

Open crown noggin shot - brim up
CQ2iJq7m.jpg

Brim snapped down. The ribbon got folded down and creased during packing, but it steamed right out and looks fantastic now. And it has a wind trolley! Did I mention I'm a sucker for wind trolleys?
8thM5qwm.jpg

My first time "compromising the virtue of a new hat." Inspired by a couple of recent vintage Stetson purchases, I decided to give it a simple center crease and front pinch. Usually, I tend to put a c-crown or teardrop in a hat as soon as it hits my hands. I went more minimalist this time.

gMj5wJzm.jpg

Couple interior shots...

1KS2Ggvm.jpg

It's mine now!!

L43KDhHm.jpg

Nice hat...

RKXY7aRm.jpg

tommyK

One Too Many
Thanks for showing this, Fruno. Very nice and nicely done!

We see a lot of Feds and Camp Drafts (for good reason) but it is nice to see other models. I didn't know the "Fedora" came open crown.

After my obligatory 3 month wait (I ordered this in February), I've received my first Akubra, a Fedora, from EA. The color is Burnt Oak. The brim is 2.5"

As it arrived, well packed and open crown. My first open crown.
View attachment 29690

Drove me nuts. As soon as I received it, I had to put it back in the box and head down to the baseball game. So this morning before work, I gave it a good steaming and brushing.

Open crown noggin shot - brim up
View attachment 29691

Brim snapped down. The ribbon got folded down and creased during packing, but it steamed right out and looks fantastic now. And it has a wind trolley! Did I mention I'm a sucker for wind trolleys?
View attachment 29692

My first time "compromising the virtue of a new hat." Inspired by a couple of recent vintage Stetson purchases, I decided to give it a simple center crease and front pinch. Usually, I tend to put a c-crown or teardrop in a hat as soon as it hits my hands. I went more minimalist this time.

View attachment 29693

Couple interior shots...

View attachment 29694

It's mine now!!

View attachment 29695

Nice hat...

View attachment 29696
perfect soft bash

Thanks for the props, guys. Yes, the center dent is keeping it off my head, which is one reason I put that crease in. As I wrote I recently purchased a couple of 1950s Stestons that have a similar look, and was inspired by the simplicity of it.

We see a lot of Feds and Camp Drafts (for good reason) but it is nice to see other models. I didn't know the "Fedora" came open crown.

I first joined this forum in January, and was pretty new to the hat world (You still are!!), and really hadn't developed any 'druthers. I read many posts about the Fed and Campdraft, but especially in the case of the Campdraft, thought it might be "too much" for me (brim, crown, etc.). So I ordered an Akubra "City Hat," with a 2.5" brim, which I thought was huge at the time. Now that I've picked up some older Open Road and Strat types of vintage hats, my tastes have changed, and I'm a lot more bold with what I wear. I just ordered a hat with a 2 5/8" brim, and 5 1/2" open crown from D'Aquino, and my last I got has a 6" open crown.

There is a Campdraft in my future!!

Obsessed

One of the Regulars
Question for you Akubra guys who may have looked at the Angler: what do you think of the difference between the David Morgan version and the version the Australian vendors sell?

Oz: leather band, shark tooth, no chinstrap hook grommets

Morgan: Barramundi band, no shark tooth, grommets

The answer is the Australian version.

javadave61

Practically Family

Nice hat indeed! I've had my eye on the Akubra Fedora, especially as it comes with an open crown. I bought the dark brown Fed IV hoping for that classic fedora look, but (and maybe because I got the dark brown, it screams out "Indiana Jones,"), but no matter how I shape it, it has more of a casual, adventurer look. Perhaps if I had gotten the Tawny or Moonstone, I wouldn't feel that way. Or maybe it's the oval dimensions of the brim. My present conclusion on the Fed IV is that it will be best in winter with a nice leather jacket than with a suit or long dressy overcoat.

Anyhow, I've wondered if the Fedora would achieve a more traditional, dressy fedora look.

Now that you've developed a taste for more brim and crown, how does the Fedora feel? I've been afraid of getting it and finding it too conservative in dimension or too tapered. I appreciate your thoughts on this.

PS. I'm digging the electric drill hat stand. You should market this.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Nice hat indeed! I've had my eye on the Akubra Fedora, especially as it comes with an open crown. I bought the dark brown Fed IV hoping for that classic fedora look, but (and maybe because I got the dark brown, it screams out "Indiana Jones,"), but no matter how I shape it, it has more of a casual, adventurer look. Perhaps if I had gotten the Tawny or Moonstone, I wouldn't feel that way. Or maybe it's the oval dimensions of the brim. My present conclusion on the Fed IV is that it will be best in winter with a nice leather jacket than with a suit or long dressy overcoat.

Anyhow, I've wondered if the Fedora would achieve a more traditional, dressy fedora look.

Now that you've developed a taste for more brim and crown, how does the Fedora feel? I've been afraid of getting it and finding it too conservative in dimension or too tapered. I appreciate your thoughts on this.

Maybe look into the Akubra Adventurer?

Yeah, I'm alot more bold with brim and crown, but my taste runs pretty wide at this point. At other points on this forum you can see me wearing an old Dalton that is more of a Strat clone, and the brim is ~2 3/4". I love that hat. On the other end of the spectrum, one of my favorite hats is a Stetson Lamont, which has a 2 1/8" brim, and I think it looks a little more dressy and "smart." I agree this is a somewhat nice and more dressy look.

Hah! I recently moved offices and was putting some finishing touches on my wall hangings. It was convenient.

I have to take some photos of the Burnt Oak color in direct sunlight. It really has alot going for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24