Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I got mine; get yours!

BGG_CD_05_zpshyns5yhg.jpg

:D

Nice job on the teardrop w the little "hump" for your crown.

photogravity

One of the Regulars
I just popped over to the EA site. There are currently no wait times listed for the other CD colors. Does anybody know if they are immediately available?

I ordered my BG CD in 7-1/2 yesterday and received an email at 12:07 AM today that it had shipped. It looks like they are well stocked. :)

Nice job on the teardrop w the little "hump" for your crown.
Thank you, Sir! There are a few more photos here, if anyone's interested.

I ordered my BG CD in 7-1/2 yesterday and received an email at 12:07 AM today that it had shipped. It looks like they are well stocked. :)
They don't waste time at Everything Australian when they have the item in stock--mine was ordered, shipped from Australia to the west coast of the U.S., and received by me in six days. Great service!

Thank you, Sir! There are a few more photos here, if anyone's interested.

They don't waste time at Everything Australian when they have the item in stock--mine was ordered, shipped from Australia to the west coast of the U.S., and received by me in six days. Great service!

Well, that's the thing. The drop down menu used to say the BGCD was immediately available, but the others were a 3-month wait. The new website makes no such distinctions when ordering, so I was thinking maybe they had some stock of the others in for now. I sent Sam a note to ask, so I'll let everybody know the answer. I know the popularity of the BG, but if I could get a Silverbelly at EA's prices with no wait...

Well, that's the thing. The drop down menu used to say the BGCD was immediately available, but the others were a 3-month wait. The new website makes no such distinctions when ordering, so I was thinking maybe they had some stock of the others in for now. I sent Sam a note to ask, so I'll let everybody know the answer. I know the popularity of the BG, but if I could get a Silverbelly at EA's prices with no wait...
Yeah, I'm not yet sold on the re-design of their website; I hope they've left themselves a place to comment on availability like they had on the previous version.

As for "Bluegrass Green vs. Silverbelly", in my opinion you can't go wrong either way. Of course, the common answer around here would be, "Get 'em both!" EA currently has only three colors available in the Campdraft, and I now have one of each; I suppose you could say I like the style. lol

javadave61

Practically Family
When you select size and color, there's a box on the right that says either "ships in 1-2 days," or "available in 3 months." Took me a while to notice that. It's a pain though, because you can't see what's available at a glance. You have to click through each color and size.

And a note on shaping the Campdraft. Steam works great on all my hats... but that one. It's a strong felt that feels like it needs more than steam. Steam just doesn't penetrate it. Next time it rains, I'm setting it outside to get soaked and then shaping it. I think I'll achieve better definition. At least that's what happened when my modern Strat got rain soaked.

...Now, if I can just get it into some kind of shape without screwing it up (after it arrives). Yours looks wunnerful.
Thank you; I'm sorry I missed your very kind comment earlier. As for shaping...

...And a note on shaping the Campdraft. Steam works great on all my hats... but that one. It's a strong felt that feels like it needs more than steam. Steam just doesn't penetrate it. Next time it rains, I'm setting it outside to get soaked and then shaping it. I think I'll achieve better definition. At least that's what happened when my modern Strat got rain soaked.
I've used distilled water to shape my hats (five of them, all Akubras). I dry crease them first just to get a rough preliminary shape, then spray them with the distilled water and refine the no-longer-dry crease into what I want after the felt has absorbed the water a little; so far, that's worked out well for me. My Taupe Fawn Campdraft was considerably stiffer than my other Akubras and it took a little extra effort, but the distilled water still did the trick.

Also, on all of my Akubras the brims developed a little more curl/cupping on their own during the first few weeks of me wearing them, so I allow them to do that before I make any modifications to the brim. I like the front of the brim snapped down farther than the factory flanging normally allows, and I use distilled water to accomplish that as well. The nice thing is that you can still snap the brim up for storage if you want to, and when you snap it back down again it retains it's new shape.

When you select size and color, there's a box on the right that says either "ships in 1-2 days," or "available in 3 months." Took me a while to notice that. It's a pain though, because you can't see what's available at a glance. You have to click through each color and size.

Thanks, Dave, I hadn't noticed that.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Just revieved this on Facebook. Everything Australian is having 10% off storewide sale till Monday 7/13. uploadfromtaptalk1436500620901.jpg
A Camp Draft will now cost abt $76... :)
Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
BEWEAR! SCAM!!! I saw this "add" on Facebook abt an hour ago. I checked their website and they had the Camp Draft for abt $86. Just went back to order and the price on the website was raised almost $10. I dont believe the dollar fell that much in one hour...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24