Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
I really don't like how so many Akubra hats have that line at the break what I assume is from the tolliker ?

I rarely see one without that irritating line and no one ever talks about it

You missed my rants about this for so many posts back around December of 2014? My Heritage not only had the ugly shadow line, but it was horribly elliptical and noticeable. Looks like an uneven and ugly greasy stain. I went on a tirade over several forums about this awful lapse in quality control on the part of Akubra and Hats Direct. Pathetic pouncing! I have not dealt with them. The reason why I do not own a Fed IV is that I am not willing to own another poorly made Akubra from a vendor which tolerates these lapses. Their anemic response was underwhelming. This is especially bad when one considered these are termed "Deluxe" or "Heritage" hats.

My CDs from another vendor do have a modest line, but it is small and even, so I am not too concerned. Another CD type hat (RM Williams) had almost no such line at all, so Akubra can get the job done right for some vendors. Oddly, the best made by far is an Imperial!

Not all CDs are made equally and no - you do not always get what you pay for.

Fed

All six of my Akubras (three Campdrafts and three Fed IVs) have that same line/depression in the felt, but it's more or less noticeable depending on how close it is to the break where the crown meets the brim; the closer it is to the crown, the more the ribbon helps to hide it. In general it seems to be more noticeable in photos than it is in person, and I've never really paid much attention to it.

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
I've never owned any factory creased Akubras so it may also only be in open crown hats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm thinking you may be right with this assessment. I checked my Sand Coober Pedy and there's no line/mark on my Aubra like that. I wonder why that would make a difference? Maybe that specific tolliker is used for the open crown hats?

G_awain

New in Town
I too had this ring on my Federation IV I ordered from Hatsdirect.
When I first unpacked the hat I thought it was due to the cardboard ring they use, like you johnnycanuck. But it seems unlikely.

Steam helped a lot in making it lesse visible.

addison

One of the Regulars
My new BGCD, got it yesterday but Photobucket was kaput yesterday all day!
Addison%20Campdraft%20date%20recvd%2010.26.16.jpg

Love the hat, this is my first open crown hat and I just gave it this quick bash so I could wear it ASAP!
It fits really "bigly," as The Donald might say. Love the color!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto