Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

bluesforchallah

Practically Family
A couple older pics. Aside from my flat caps, this BGGCD is getting the most head time.

58F0BEDA-84CE-4E3D-9FBB-5C2CB1F36D48_zpsxwyymdgj.jpg

53CE2352-3261-4F71-8507-BB9560CDB30D_zpsarllrmlq.jpg

FA0F510F-0AAA-4220-95C9-B4F030FA8582_zps0sy0erdl.jpg

Mark53

New in Town
Ordered a Squatter from Hats Direct on December, 27 in Steel Grey Size 62. Watching the tracking info, It arrived in NYC on January 5 (I live in the Hudson Valley). So today when I checked again it had arrived in Toronto. ?? I hope it gets here some day.

Synycyl

New in Town
Hello all,

I have been a lurker for a while, and just acquired my first felt fur hat, an Akubra Cattleman. I had been looking around this and other sites for potential first hats, and I happened to get this one on ebay for an opening bid price of $44.50 plus shipping. It is a size 61. I measure size 60.5, but it fits ok now that I added some folded tissue paper under the hat band. I have some proper hat reducer on order.

I have a couple of questions. The top of my head just barely touches the crown of the hat. My understanding is that there is supposed to be room between my head and the hat. I have seen youtube videos of people adjusting the bash of felt hats with steam. I am wondering if it will work very well with a hat that comes preshaped?

Second, the hat was sold as preowned but shows very little wear. The only wear I see at all are the ends of the ribbon in the back of the hat band are slightly frayed. Since this is my first felt fur hat, I have no frame of reference regarding felt quality and such. In the back of my mind, I realize that I am not knowledgeable enough to know the difference between an actual Akubra and a Chinese knock off. I have looked at photos of Akubras online and the interior markings in the crown and the gold leaf look correct. Are there any other ways to tell a fake versus the real thing? I have no indication that it is fake, and don't believe that the vendor would intentionally sell a fake, but I wonder if there is some way to know for sure. Thanks.

Syn

Akubra Cattleman.jpeg

Synycyl

New in Town
Thanks for all your help. I didn't realize they charge by the forum thread here.

After searching that thread and not finding my answer, and searching the Important Links thread and not finding my answer, I thought maybe it would be ok to start a new thread to introduce myself and ask a question. At the time, it made more sense to me than replying to a thread that was started in 2009 and has over 12,000 other replies. It actually still makes more sense to me to be honest.

Again, thanks for the warm welcome.

It is a size 61. I measure size 60.5, but it fits ok now that I added some folded tissue paper under the hat band. I have some proper hat reducer on order.

The top of my head just barely touches the crown of the hat.

Welcome to the forum, Syn.

You didn't say how much the brim now sits off the top of your ears after you adjusted the size. It's all personal preference anyway but if the hat is still sitting low on you then it likely will be touching the top of your head. You can raise the point where it sits & gain clearance on the top by adding foam weatherstripping from a local hardware store, behind the sweat. Just add a small strip to wherever the hat might be loose, whether that is front to back or on the sides. It's not necessary to add the weatherstripping around the entire circumference of the hat.

I don't own a Cattleman but from your picture it looks like someone has lowered the back of the crown. You will gain more top clearance if you choose to raise & level the crown as in the picture below. It's all a matter of personal taste & preference, & is perfectly fine to make adjustments by hand with or without steam even though it was originally a factory creased hat. It might take a couple of times to get it to stay where you want it, or it might easily want to return to it's original crease if someone has lowered it. Once sized & leveled up there should be enough clearance under the dome so as not to touch the top of your head.

I have never heard of Chinese knockoffs of Akubras being on the market so I can't speak to that, but your question is probably unfounded.

10h2dck.jpg

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I've never heard anything about Akubra knock-offs either, and I've been participating in forums like this daily for 15 years.

I've got a Cattleman, and the rear of the crown is indeed a little lower than the front. Depending on the angle you're photographing it from, it doesn't always look that way. Anyway, that picture looks like it's got the usual factory shape. As far as why you're banging into the top of the crown - do you have an atypically narrow/tall head shape?

And regarding quality, these things are mega-tough and hold up great. Mine's been my summer hiking and yard work hat for a decade, and the only sign of wear on it AT ALL is that the little bronze Akubra badge on the band has turned a crusty green from sweat-rust!

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for all your help. I didn't realize they charge by the forum thread here.

After searching that thread and not finding my answer, and searching the Important Links thread and not finding my answer, I thought maybe it would be ok to start a new thread to introduce myself and ask a question. At the time, it made more sense to me than replying to a thread that was started in 2009 and has over 12,000 other replies. It actually still makes more sense to me to be honest.

Again, thanks for the warm welcome.
You did nothing wrong. Welcome to the Lounge. I support dialogue between us all and enjoy random posts that are relevant to each person.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sounds like you got a great find. I havent seen a Akubra go that cheap in a while. You used to be able to buy them for $50 shipped used. People would buy them on vacation, Wear them a few times, put them in the closet for a few years, Dig them out and sell them. Brims were usually mangled but a little steam would knock them out. Long story short.... great find, great price!
If it is just sitting on your head and touching your crown I would add some more stuffing to the sweat band. If it's new the sweat band will shrink a bit after a few wears.
The band has a end cap on it. If it is missing that could be why the end of the hat band it frayed.
Enjoy your hat and wear it in good health.
Johnny

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk