Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

lbgradwell

Familiar Face
A December, 1950 photo of the hat shop in question, taken after a robbery!

Akubra Dapper 1c Vic Cooper 1950.jpg

Akubra Dapper 1d Vic Cooper 1950.png

PHIL1959

One of the Regulars
Why don't the AU sites have the Bushman? Was it replaced by the Campdraft? I'm looking to buy one and I'd prefer the bigger brim on the Bushman. Only place I see to order is David Morgan.

Also, are Akubras sized fairly true? I've been wearing my hair shorter and fitting 7 3/8 or 59 better in Stetson, Biltmore, Beaver, and my straw hats. I'm just double checking since it'd be impractical to return an order from EverythingAustralian.
just ordered a Fed from the Hattery, this is from an email response querying the sizing, The Fed IV's tend to measure a little small - eg. a Size 57cm generally measures 56.5cm. Best regards,
Naomi & Trudi. Last hat I bought from Everything Australian came so small i had to return it. The after sale service I received from Everything Australian was dreadful.

just ordered a Fed from the Hattery, this is from an email response querying the sizing, The Fed IV's tend to measure a little small - eg. a Size 57cm generally measures 56.5cm. Best regards,
Naomi & Trudi. Last hat I bought from Everything Australian came so small i had to return it. The after sale service I received from Everything Australian was dreadful.

My Fed IV ran small. I think the Campdrafts are closer to being true to size.

PHIL1959

One of the Regulars
it was a campdraft from Everything Australian that i ordered 57 that was so small it must have been a sizing error when made. The non aftercare i received from Everything Australian has put me off buying from them again.(received email saying i should buy a hat stretcher with a link stating " item out of stock")

boze

One of the Regulars
it was a campdraft from Everything Australian that i ordered 57 that was so small it must have been a sizing error when made. The non aftercare i received from Everything Australian has put me off buying from them again.(received email saying i should buy a hat stretcher with a link stating " item out of stock")
Yeah, my 59 Campdraft was a bit too small so I sold it in the classifieds and ordered the 60 in BG and SB. Sadly the 60 is a three month wait.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

Jason West

New in Town
Have you tried "Hats by the Hundred"?I've used them and found them really good.I am quite sure Akubra's sizing is pretty good.I take size 59cm in Akubra's & have bought hats and caps from USA,Poland & Asian Hatters and they have all been 59cm and all fitted perfectly which to be honest amazes me!I am a bit upset this Aussie company is not looking after you Guys.You have been good enough to offer your business to an Aussie Company and they have dropped the ball badly.I think I will touch base with them and ask,What Gives?

Desert dog

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Have you tried "Hats by the Hundred"?I've used them and found them really good.I am quite sure Akubra's sizing is pretty good.I take size 59cm in Akubra's & have bought hats and caps from USA,Poland & Asian Hatters and they have all been 59cm and all fitted perfectly which to be honest amazes me!I am a bit upset this Aussie company is not looking after you Guys.You have been good enough to offer your business to an Aussie Company and they have dropped the ball badly.I think I will touch base with them and ask,What Gives?
I have two camp drafts that I ordered from the hattery. I have been very pleased with them. Both fit perfectly. Both arrived within 11-12 days after ordering. I will definitely be ordering from them again.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I've ordered Akubra hats from The Hattery (Hats Direct), Everything Australian, and Hats by the Hundred. I have received good service from them all. More often than not, Everything Australian has the best pricing a long with the longest wait time.

As far as sizing, I'm a 7 5/8 long oval and I can usually make a 7 5/8 standard oval work with just a little shaping in a hat jack. In Akubra I'm a 62 or 7 3/4 every time and there is no way I can make an 61 or 7 5/8 work for me. In the Federation IV and the Balmoral, the size 62 fits snugly on me, but my Campdrafts fit slightly more generously. Just my experience.

just ordered a Fed from the Hattery, this is from an email response querying the sizing, The Fed IV's tend to measure a little small - eg. a Size 57cm generally measures 56.5cm...
I've mentioned this here before but I was told the same thing, i.e. that the Fed IV tends to run approximately 1/2 size small. And several Lounge members agree. But in my experience as an owner of three Fed IVs and three Campdrafts, my Campdrafts are all about 1/2 size smaller than my Feds (this is after the expected "shrink to fit" period). All six hats fit comfortably, but my Campdrafts are just a little more snug than my Feds. *shrug* If there's a situation in which things will run contrary to popular opinion, I'll be the guy to experience it. o_O

My brother in law left his Snowy River for some brim work. Thought I would add my wife's Pastoralist to my two Camp drafts and two Stockman, for a group photo.
b4867b5ecf6da22511f671df6ff06017.jpg
d113e07f25a3b442dc2b5b8f885686c4.jpg

Your CD's look great, DD!

I still can't do much after surgery & I'm getting cabin fever, so I took my dog for a walk in the woods this morning wearing my Fawn Coober Pedy, before stopping for coffee.

IMG_0388.jpg

IMG_0387.jpg

IMG_0386.jpg

Desert dog

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Your CD's look great, DD!

I still can't do much after surgery & I'm getting cabin fever, so I took my dog for a walk in the woods this morning wearing my Fawn Coober Pedy, before stopping for coffee.

View attachment 98179

View attachment 98180

View attachment 98181
Thanks Hurricane, your Coober looks nice. I like that model a lot. Sorry to hear about your lengthy recuperation, but as my Dad used to say "there's a better day a comin".

I want to order an Akubra Kentucky Rancher but I can't find one in size 62. Anyone know if Akubra will custom make them in larger sizes?
I can't remember if this was done with the kind assistance of the good folks at Everything Australian or Hats Direct/The Hattery, but in the past Akubra has done at least two special orders for members of The Lounge; Campdrafts with a narrower-than-usual brim, for example. But they required a minimum order of "X" amount of hats, and the last time members made such a request Akubra declined because the total order was not large enough. As such, I don't think they would be willing to make a single special order hat, but it couldn't hurt to make some inquiries; the worst that can happen is that they'll say "No".

Richard Morgan

One Too Many
I can't remember if this was done with the kind assistance of the good folks at Everything Australian or Hats Direct/The Hattery, but in the past Akubra has done at least two special orders for members of The Lounge; Campdrafts with a narrower-than-usual brim, for example. But they required a minimum order of "X" amount of hats, and the last time members made such a request Akubra declined because the total order was not large enough. As such, I don't think they would be willing to make a single special order hat, but it couldn't hurt to make some inquiries; the worst that can happen is that they'll say "No".

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112