Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

DaveProc

I'll Lock Up
FB_IMG_1598722863435.jpg FB_IMG_1598722866997.jpg received_3215389465243375.jpeg RM Williams Campdraft today.

Nice looking Down Under.
I've found that if I buy em big enough, then steam the long oval shape into them, then wear them loose until they shrink up, you dont have to fight that long oval fight. I I the struggle well, I'm an long egg oval. Probably extra long.

I’m a long to extra-long oval too. A custom made band block is a godsend. Once you have one you can make your own duplicates cheaply and quickly. I keep the band blocks in some hats and others I slip them in and steam them a few times. I’ve found that a large pot of boiling water works better than my hat steamer. I can steam the entire outside of the crown at once. I let it rest 20 minutes and then repeat. After 3-4 streaming’s most hats hold the shape fairly well. Those that don’t get their own permanent band block.

Gobi

One of the Regulars
I’m a long to extra-long oval too. A custom made band block is a godsend. Once you have one you can make your own duplicates cheaply and quickly. I keep the band blocks in some hats and others I slip them in and steam them a few times. I’ve found that a large pot of boiling water works better than my hat steamer. I can steam the entire outside of the crown at once. I let it rest 20 minutes and then repeat. After 3-4 streaming’s most hats hold the shape fairly well. Those that don’t get their own permanent band block.

Years ago I took an angle grinder to a hat stretcher to accommodate the egg part of my egg oval, similar idea but your band block is a much better choice since the stretcher has no side support and a band block looks nice too. I always thought about trying to make one but didn't quite no how. I havent used my stretcher in a few years though, all my hats have held their shape and new hats shape easily with steam and squizing the base of the crown a bit to form to my head shape.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
When you ordered custom hats from Art Fawcett a band block was an option. As all my hats shrunk to one extent or another I always chose this option. So I now have four. I think this is my first one. The later ones are a lighter wood with a better hand grip rather then a thumb hole.
54BDD192-AD66-49E7-A96F-5EB794078FDF.jpeg

690608FF-1544-4261-9352-D5414C4AEBCE.jpeg

I have been tempted to make more but never got around to it. Four has always been plenty.
Johnny

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Last day of the garage sale. 9 degrees Celsius with 30-60km/hour winds. Not fun. Didn’t realize summer was over already. But let’s hear it for tight hats that can stay on in the wind. Akubra Coolabah
6014260A-FF1A-44BC-A3BD-D51807862CC6.jpeg

Stay warm everyone
Johnny

Attachments

• D3E4D1AD-1A7D-41AE-A0B3-E6C0FA4C9FF8.jpeg
    D3E4D1AD-1A7D-41AE-A0B3-E6C0FA4C9FF8.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 405
Last day of the garage sale. 9 degrees Celsius with 30-60km/hour winds. Not fun. Didn’t realize summer was over already. But let’s hear it for tight hats that can stay on in the wind. Akubra Coolabah
View attachment 257384

Stay warm everyone
Johnny

Wait, winter is over?

8A1A2FD3-CFF1-49BF-B1D2-FC52E8740171.jpeg

I don’t think I’ll have any trouble “staying warm.” Love the Coolabah

Gobi

One of the Regulars
Can anyone comment on sizes from Strand Hatters? Do they run large/small?
Thanks.

Gobi

One of the Regulars
I wish I would've gotten a bushman sooner, the crown height kept me away from one for years. It ended up being fine. Hope it works out!
I love mine.
My only complaint is the sweatband is sewn in flat against the inside of the crown so there isnt the proper bell shape which keeps the stitches off your forehead. Other than that, it's perfect.

I wish I would've gotten a bushman sooner, the crown height kept me away from one for years. It ended up being fine. Hope it works out!
I love mine.
My only complaint is the sweatband is sewn in flat against the inside of the crown so there isnt the proper bell shape which keeps the stitches off your forehead. Other than that, it's perfect.

Thanks. I’ve sold off most of my Akubras, but I think this will fill a niche. I do wish the crown was 1/2” taller, but I think I can make it work.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran