Akubra Overload

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Colby Jack, Oct 10, 2008.

1. johnnycanuck

johnnycanuck Call Me a Cab

Akubra Squatter in Carbon Grey. Like my other bound brim Akubra, The Cattleman, this has a nice thin soft felt.
    7F787494-43FB-42FC-B568-523ACF7D0E18.jpeg
    F3CDCD48-775E-467B-A5E6-9D4387D9CCB2.jpeg
    stay safe everyone
    Johnny

Duper, 1967Cougar390, G MAN and 12 others like this.
  2. Chris"speedy"

Chris"speedy" New in Town

3. Chris"speedy"

What color stylemaster and Sydney? I've been hooked on fedoras for a couple of months now and already have 2 akubra with a 3rd on the way.

johnnycanuck likes this.
  4. Chris"speedy"

Ha ha, im so new here i can't even reply correctly. I'll try to get a few pics posted tomorrow of my Green stylemaster

BobHufford likes this.
  5. Chris"speedy"

As promised, pictures of my bluegrass green stylemaster.

Attached Files:

6. TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead Practically Family

no worries. I think I'm up to 10 Akubras in like 8 months. You got the bug, but it's cool, a lot worse things you could be addicted to. I sent you the info. 2 really nice ones, acorn and regency fawn. And I'm throwing in 2 other hats for free basically just to clear out the closet.

7. johnnycanuck

johnnycanuck Call Me a Cab

My Akubra Cattleman in Fawn. Bound brim and a nice thin felt on it.
    4B54F4F1-D0EC-4BFD-BE5C-06BFE311EC56.jpeg
    6623A720-58F6-40D6-A26A-78DCB8018612.jpeg
    Stay safe everyone
    Johnny

8. Chris"speedy"

I most definitely have the bug, I'm at 10 hats in 6 months.

9. Chris"speedy"

Here's my carbon grey bogart.

Attached Files:

10. new2hats

new2hats One of the Regulars

Then stay away from Ebay!!

Chris"speedy" likes this.
  11. MagicMan

MagicMan New in Town

Have you ever tried reshaping it to LO?
    I'm a very LO and would definitely need have one shaped, but I've avoided ordering an Akubra because I don't know what size to order knowing that it will need shaping. And there are no Akubra dealers within a 6 hr drive from me.

Rumad likes this.
  12. Rumad

Rumad One Too Many

My head is extra long oval and my SBCD fits perfectly. The crease took immediately, with a little steam. The long oval process took a bit of time but she’s holding firm now. I just touched it up with some steam every now and then and wore it until it cooled at least. I’m a 7 1/2 and I got a 60. It was gigantic on me when I got it and it shrunk down nicely.

1967Cougar390 and MagicMan like this.
  13. MagicMan

MagicMan New in Town

Thanks for the info.
    What is an SBCD?

Rumad likes this.
  14. Silver Belly Camp Draft

MagicMan and Rumad like this.
  15. Dotneck

Dotneck Familiar Face

Ha. My new Squatter was too big for my noggin and wobbled on top of my head a lot. It was uncomfortable even blew off my head in a light wind. I tried some cork sizing spacers was was not pleased with the result.

Yesterday I sprayed the underside of the sweatband with distilled water and let it sit overnight. This morning it fits much better. I'm considering one more treatment but I don't want it too tight. I may just leave it be and see how it fits after I get my haircut.

I'm pleased. I thought this hat was going to become a closet queen and now it will get some head time...

1967Cougar390, Boomerang and Rumad like this.
  16. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

The best thing you can do to make a new Akubra hat fit more snug is to wear it and sweat in it. The moisture and sodium in our perspiration dehydrate the leather Akubra uses for their sweatbands, which causes it to shrink slightly, which usually results in a better fit.

17. GP Henry

GP Henry New in Town

Do you buy an Akubra true to size or upsize to get the shrinking process correct? I have only held off buying an Akubra because it will be my first and the thought of a potential return process though the mail bothers me.

1967Cougar390 likes this.
  18. Dotneck

Dotneck Familiar Face

I ordered what I thought would fit. I bought a 57.

I've have a vintage Dobbs 20 in 7 1/8 that is tight on my noggin. Recent Stetsons and Dobbs fit nicely at 7 1/8. I have a couple vintage Italian hats (a Panizza and Barbisio) that fit nicely at 57. I also have a Super Panizza in a 58 that fits nicely. I've got a couple older Dobbs that fit nicely at 7 1/4.

My Akubra is the first 57 that was too big.

19. GP Henry

GP Henry New in Town

Thank you

20. The Shoe

The Shoe A-List Customer

I have four Akubras, all size 60. My 1960s Stylemaster fits beautifully. My Cattleman (not sure how old it is) is a little big but not so much. It works ok with a little felt strip behind the sweatband. My 1980s Snowy River was too small. It required quite a bit of work with the hat stretcher, but it’s a nice size now. The only one I bought new was a summer hemp Range. It’s big. It’s in a box for the dry winter. We’ll see in a few months how it has handled its time in storage.
    Hope that’s of some help, but I’m sure there are others with more experience that can help you.