Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

babs

A-List Customer
JerseyMutt said:
The hat is the only thing that is "authentically" vintage.

That mustache might be considered bonafide authentically vintage. hehehe :)
Cool! And if you say you use a safety razor, I'll fall out. .. Though I do kinda want one.

Yeah that "moonstone" colored Fed Deluxe IV looks like my next "pre-war" style fedora purchase. That gray with black band is SHARP! Although the stylemaster with ribbon-bound brim (sorry I don't know the proper slang term for it), is a good contender on a budget.

fed4del-moonstone-large.jpg

stylemaster-moonstone-large.jpg

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
Joining the Federation

Hey all,
I decided I needed a new fedora, but I wanted something modern that I could wear daily without worrying about getting it trashed or stolen. I was looking for something similar to my Royal Stetson, but I also wanted it to robust enough to handle daily wear and weather. I finally settled on a standard Federation IV. Since I wanted it in gray I ordered it from Hats Direct and about a week later it arrived.
Fed_Front.JPG

At first I was worried that the felt was too thick and it wouldn't take a crease. However, after a little steaming it fell right into a teardrop crown with very little effort. I tried to coax it into a diamond bash, but sometimes hats just want to be a certain shape. This one definitely wants to be a teardrop.
Fed_Bash.JPG

So far the hat is working well. It is very comfortable, and after taking the plastic lining out of the crown, is not to warm to wear in 70 degree F weather. You can count me in as a member of The Federation, although after seeing all of the great Squatter pics that were posted (after I ordered this one, of course) I might have been just as happy with that. Oh, well I'll have to put it on my wish list for next time ;)
Fed.JPG

Goose.

Practically Family
Tone said:
Another fine display of the Squatter. Looks great, Goose.
Can we get a direct, front view of both hats (center-dented equally) - the Fed IV and the Squatter while worn? :) Thanks!

Thanks Tone...
Maybe in a few days for the pics. This weekend is packed with family visiting. Would simply confirm to my in-law's their suspicsions that I'm nuts if I goofed with the hats and took pics of myself. But here are pics from the other day I took of the Fed Heritage Fawn and Squatter Willow Green. Not dead center from the front, but close enough I hope.

588125365_v3Nwi-S.jpg
588125642_YV4UG-S.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Mahagonny Bill said:
Hey all,

At first I was worried that the felt was too thick and it wouldn't take a crease. However, after a little steaming it fell right into a teardrop crown with very little effort. I tried to coax it into a diamond bash, but sometimes hats just want to be a certain shape. This one definitely wants to be a teardrop.

So far the hat is working well. It is very comfortable, and after taking the plastic lining out of the crown, is not to warm to wear in 70 degree F weather. You can count me in as a member of The Federation, although after seeing all of the great Squatter pics that were posted (after I ordered this one, of course) I might have been just as happy with that. Oh, well I'll have to put it on my wish list for next time ;)

Hey Bill - it must be a Seattle thing - I'm also trying to force felt to work in the Seattle Summer, but leaving my liners in for now. I've been wearing my Playboy during the day and the Fed IV at night. I also went for the diamond bash on the Fed IV and ended up letting it become the teardrop it wanted to be.

Just got back from veggie-gathering at Pike Market - what a day!

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
ScottF said:
Hey Bill - it must be a Seattle thing - I'm also trying to force felt to work in the Seattle Summer, but leaving my liners in for now. I've been wearing my Playboy during the day and the Fed IV at night. I also went for the diamond bash on the Fed IV and ended up letting it become the teardrop it wanted to be.

Just got back from veggie-gathering at Pike Market - what a day!

I would happily wear a straw hat all summer, but with the unpredictable rain we have been having a panama hat just won't do. The Fed seems to be doing alright, but I wouldn't mind something lighter. Taking the lining out made a big difference.

I would be curious if anybody HAS been able to get a Fed IV into anything but a C or teardrop crease. It just doesn't seem to want to go.

Tone

A-List Customer
Goose. said:

Thanks Tone...
Maybe in a few days for the pics. This weekend is packed with family visiting. Would simply confirm to my in-law's their suspicsions that I'm nuts if I goofed with the hats and took pics of myself. But here are pics from the other day I took of the Fed Heritage Fawn and Squatter Willow Green. Not dead center from the front, but close enough I hope.

588125365_v3Nwi-S.jpg
588125642_YV4UG-S.jpg

Thank you, Goose. That Willow Green is starting to grow on me - moreso because it doesn't seem to 'sheen' much green at all except in the description. I'm sure it's there in person but only in a slight hue. Great color! A good neutral that adapts well, it seems, to many situations.

I understand you didn't have time to put the Squatter into a taller pinch to balance out that brim but I can tell by the depth of your diamond pinch in this picture below that it will also look great with the crown worn taller. (Reducing the perception of the brim being so wide in comparison to the crown.)

*I referenced these from the Green Machine thread. Hope you don't mind.

Just lookin' so stylish here! The character shines through even at rest.
591000429_ipba3-S-1.jpg

Angles and character here! SHARP comes to mind again. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
591001224_W82xW-S-1.jpg

Yes, I'd love to see another Squatter from front in a tall, center-dent configuration (it'll most likely be mine at this point:)), but thank you very much for taking the time to post what you had time for. :) I'm convinced. The hat's just got a suave personality to it.

Now the only question is which color? Willow Green or Fawn?

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Tone said:

Angles and character here! SHARP comes to mind again. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
591001224_W82xW-S-1.jpg

Yes, I'd love to see another Squatter from front in a tall, center-dent configuration (it'll most likely be mine at this point:)), but thank you very much for taking the time to post what you had time for. :) I'm convinced. The hat's just got a suave personality to it.

Now the only question is which color? Willow Green or Fawn?

The Squatter is what it is and I think you've done a fine job of pulling out some cool style from that low down 5 1/4 crown ;). How do you like the big brim for sun protection, Goose?

Hey, Tone, I don't care what color you order - I like them all - but mine will be willow green. It's a race to see who posts the first head shot of a tall center dent ... hold on here, I'll call it simple center dent. I'ts hard for me to talk about tall and Squatter in the same sentence lol ;) .

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
CRH said:

It's a race to see who posts the first head shot of a tall center dent ... hold on here, I'll call it simple center dent. I'ts hard for me to talk about tall and Squatter in the same sentence lol ;) .

Did you say...tall...center dent...simple...center...dent???
What do I win??? :D lol

sq_rb_jr_f_3-1-2.jpg

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Chuck Bobuck said:
What do I win??? :D lol

You win a cover pic on Akubra Overload The Magazine :D.

Excellent job on the tall crease but I notice something in your pic that hasn't been discussed, the ribbons. It appears that Akubra is using some pretty good quality ribbons, if judged by the array of patterns relative to light angles and hues.

Tone

A-List Customer
You win CRH's love and affection, Chuck! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Yeah, so we're all on the same page: "Simple, center-dent" works for me. :D

akubracenterdent1.jpg

5 1/4" crown, yes. But less of the height being lost in a c-crown, basically. So yeah, "tall"-er.;) As tall as a 5 1/4" is going to get, of course.

Goose, this in no way is meant to imply anything less than a superior job on your hat! It reminds me of a sturdy Borsalino Allesandria (sp?) actually. Love those! I like it! Just speculating balance of crown to brim is all. :)

CRH, you go ahead and post away on that Willow Green. Never too many in my book. :) You'll most likely be the first as I'm still debating whether to order one of these a size up or not to anticipate a good fit in the long run.

*I may be teetering between Willow Green or not a bit, too.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Tone said:
...You'll most likely be the first as I'm still debating whether to order one of these a size up or not to anticipate a good fit in the long run.

*I may be teetering between Willow Green or not a bit, too.

Akubras run a little large. Order your size... a green one ;).

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
CRH said:

If you have any doubt, I would confer with Hats Direct on sizing for the Squatter. I have 2 Campdrafts, 1 Fed and 1 Squatter, all in size 59. The Squatter is more snug and I've had to stretch it out over my knee. Per Hats Direct, the Squatter's crown is round, while the CD and Fed have more oval. We all have different sized, shaped craniums...mine barely houses my gigantic brain...lol ...j/k! It's not big at all...plenty of room left in there. :D I would check with Hats Direct on sizing and see what they have to say. They might want you to measure a couple of different ways.

And..ribbon...? :D

Sq_bow2-1-1.jpg

Tone

A-List Customer
CRH said:

Heh heh. I'm doing some "eenie-meenie-minee-mo" between the two.

Fit:

That's the thing. "Some" of them run a bit large. The Adventurer and the old Fed III's fit comfortably in the actual size. The Bushman, though it fit and was the same size, fit a bit more snug at first. I've heard the Squatter's fit described similarly to that of the Bushman. My Bushman's traveled quite a bit and has most definitely snugged up over time.

I may have to do the loose, "doof-fit" at first with the Squatter. There's always a day in the car to accelerate the process. lol But hopefully it shrinks to the amount it's going to and will remain comfy for the long run.

The bigger issue is...

hard to resist...Willow...Green...:D

Why do I get the feeling yours is already on its way? :)

Tone

A-List Customer
Was just posting about that while you posted, Chuck. Thanks.

I think I'll bump it up on the Squatter.

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Tone said:
Was just posting about that while you posted, Chuck. Thanks.

I think I'll bump it up on the Squatter.

Tone, I'd check with Hats Direct and see if they think it's necessary. I got mine on e-bay, so I don't know if anything's different with Hat Directs Squatter.
Just to be safe, I don't want to give anyone the wrong info. :)

Tone

A-List Customer
Thanks, Chuck. I'm going off the difference I noticed between my own Akubras. (FDM had mentioned something similar with his a while back, as well.)

Granted, I'm aware and not expecting the size to fit correctly upon arrival by doing this. But I've seen the degree in which they can tighten up on a hot day over time, too.

Eh. Marginal gamble. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred