Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

Inusuit

A-List Customer
Wikipedia: Squatting, the act of occupying an abandoned or unoccupied space or building that the squatter does not own, rent or otherwise have permission to use.

As I come from a family of ranchers that owned our land, I say the two terms are not synonymous. Certainly, early cattlemen in the West often occupied land they did not own. In those times, the term squatter was derogatorily applied to small farmers who took up residence, sometimes lawfully, on land the cattlemen considered to be their domain.

Inusuit said:
... In those times, the term squatter was derogatorily applied to small farmers who took up residence, sometimes lawfully, on land the cattlemen considered to be their domain.
Right, squatters were known for setting up homesteading on what cattlemen considered open range. Squatters were not & are not now looked upon with high esteem.

Kreissaege

One of the Regulars
Banjo Paterson and Leisure Time

My two new hats.
They arrived a bit battered and since I had to shape the crown for my high and long oval head anyway, here are the results.
In case you wonder, how different the colour of the BP in the first three pictures appears, the first and the last of these were made in the shadow and with the sun hiding behind a cloud, the second one in the sun. The two last pictures of the LS were made at the same location, but very late in the afternoon and under an overcast sky.
1572009003.jpg

1572009005.jpg

1572009001.jpg

3172009009.jpg

3172009012.jpg

CRH

Call Me a Cab
jazzncocktails said:

CRH, that Squatter looks fantastic. How wide is the brim on it? It occurs to me that I should have ordered one of those, instead of ordering a Campdraft and adding the wide ribbon. But then, it isn't available in Silverbelly yet, at least not through Hats Direct. I'll be curious to hear about those color issues...good luck!

Thanks, jazz!

This particular brim measures 3 1/16 x 3! It'll work decently into some nice upturn on the sides if desired. Just look at this cool rendition by Fatdutchman:

Tie4.jpg

This off color shot of willow green makes me want one in carbon grey! That would give me a good start on a gang of squatters ;) .

I'm not going to do it but this big brim would look great turned down both front and back with the sides cranked up. Kind of a dressy outback look :cool2:

elvisroe

A-List Customer
Inusuit said:
As I come from a family of ranchers that owned our land, I say the two terms are not synonymous. Certainly, early cattlemen in the West often occupied land they did not own.

No offence intended - the term squatter (when used in the bush) has not had illegal connotations down here for generations. It's simply what we call wealthy landholders. Call it a quirk of language, We tend to have very ironic senses of humour. [huh]

We obviously esteem our squatters highly enough to name a classy hat after them ;)

The only other synonyms we use for rancher that I've heard are "Boss" (akubra has one of those too) or "Cocky", as in cockatoo. You generally add another noun to describe what they farm - ie cow-cocky, sheep-cocky, rice-cocky etc.

Not seen an Akubra "cocky" yet...and I don't imagine we will either!!!
:eek:

elvisroe said:
...We obviously esteem our squatters highly enough to name a classy hat after them ;)...
That does clear things up for me cause I thought it was more of a farmer/country hat more that a rancher's. I thought that was covered by Akubra's Cattleman, Stockman, Campdaft, Boss, Overseer, & Cowboy.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
elvisroe said:
As the saying goes...
"the bigger the hat, the smaller the property"
guess that's why they wear 'em with a such a low pork-pie
lol

then I should be wearing a Sombrero :eek:.

Funny thing how we talk about ownership of land, how the land is passed down through generations.....

..... 'cause it was stolen fair and square!

CRH

Call Me a Cab
gtdean48 said:
That does clear things up for me cause I thought it was more of a farmer/country hat more that a rancher's. I thought that was covered by Akubra's Cattleman, Stockman, Campdaft, Boss, Overseer, & Cowboy.

C'mon now Mr. Deputy. You're pounding on the head of one of the most dramatic nails in North American history.

All those wars, all these movies...

All the sheep farmers ever wanted is for folks to call them ranchers ;).....

.... well that and the water rights ;).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80