Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

Spats McGee

One Too Many
elvisroe said:
I've been thinking about going stingy for a while now and after stealing my little brothers Hampton for a day I'm sold!

This one's Thyme Green, which I can't find anymore so I'm thinking I'll go the cruiser grey.

DSCN3193-1.jpg

DSCN3192-1.jpg
That looks good on you, elvisroe! I guess what they say is really true: Thyme does heal all wounds.

(I never could pass up a bad joke.:eek: )

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Goose. said:

Have stated that I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer. But I'm not a spork. So, today I go out for the first time in awhile. Nice that it is a bit cooler so the felt feels less stifling. Been wearing my Barmah 'Roo hats or my Fuji Panama most of the summer.

So, after shopping, I go to load up the 4x4 with the goods. Reach for my sunglasses that I usually keep clipped onto my t-shirt or in the pocket of an Aloha shirt. No glasses. Retracing aisles in the store when it dawns on me that I had recently discovered the pencil curl brim of the Akubra Homburg makes a great place to keep my glasses. They don't slide off or fall out of my pocket when I bend over to pick up something a lady had dropped. Oh, those fair damsels in distress ;) Or really, when I bend over to get the Scrapple outta the store freezer.

So, guess where they were? DOH!!! :eusa_doh:

If I am a spork, I'd like to think I am at least the titanium version ;)

687595966_tqD3S-M.jpg

10-4 Roger That. :eusa_clap

Hey Goose, glad to see you back again. You have the knack, my friend, you have the knack! :eusa_clap

theinterchange

One Too Many
In the past, I owned a Federation IV Regular. I currently own a Fed IV Deluxe in Dark Brown. Also have a Squatter in Carbon Grey on its way from HatsDirect to me as I type this.

I'm currently rotating between what I want as my next Akubra... a Campdraft, Stylemaster, Sydney, or possibly a Stockman. Though, I'm hesitant to buy a stockman for fear of it looking too "cowboyish" on me.

I'm sure this didn't contribute much to the discussion, especially for a first post. :whistling

Randy

CRH

Call Me a Cab
theinterchange said:
In the past, I owned a Federation IV Regular. I currently own a Fed IV Deluxe in Dark Brown. Also have a Squatter in Carbon Grey on its way from HatsDirect to me as I type this.

I'm currently rotating between what I want as my next Akubra... a Campdraft, Stylemaster, Sydney, or possibly a Stockman. Though, I'm hesitant to buy a stockman for fear of it looking too "cowboyish" on me.
Randy

Welcome to the lounge, Randy. Looks like you are off too a good start. I'm one of the biggest Squatter fans around here. I'd love to see some pics when yours arrives!

Go for the Campdraft. You need a thin ribbon in there. :D

Randy,
That Stockman will look cowboyish on most anybody, except probably deep in the heart of Texas. The brim is narrower than my Kiandra but the shape is still pretty much Outback.
Of course my vote is Campdraft, got 4 currently in my corral & would have 5 if they'd offer 1 in Moonstone.
Welcome to the Lounge...:eusa_clap

theinterchange

One Too Many
Thanks for the welcome! Having long wanted an Open Road [vintage of course] but never quite willing to pay the price they usually command on eBay, the Campdraft is an obvious choice.

Randy

Hamletsghost

New in Town
GREETINGS All you Dapper Dudes and Dellicious Dolls. I discovered your forum about a week ago and have been happily lurking & going thru your archives. You have quite a nice community here. I find much that fits - Accessories - the 20's 30's 40's 50's ... Art Deco - Old Movies - old furniture - and much more -
BUT other than an extensive collection of caps with various logos from Ball teams to The Beatles to instruments even Bagpipe companies and back again - as well as many LARGE brim straws for yard work (most necessary as I am one of the whitest see - palest men on the planet) and a nice Perry Ellis driving cap in grey herringbone for cold weather worn at a jaunty rake - I have never concidered a really beautiful Chappeau.
Stylistically I'm an ol' Hippie (aging) who wears a huge collection of Hawaiian shirts 365 days a year. Longish hair and long white moustache (think a little younger David Crosby) and you've got me pegged. I just have not been a hat guy....
UNTIL:
In October I was in San Diego and picked up a beute of a San Diego Hat Co woven wide brim flat top hat in Old Town (kind of an offshoot of my straws)
THEN - I saw James Taylor wearing a magnificent mouse grey Fedora onstage at the Rock & Roll HOF Anniversary Concert. HMMM I said.
THEN - I saw Australia the movie AND WENT hmmmm AGAIN but I still wasn't sure...
THEN I found your Forum :D --- and you know where this is going.........
I started lurking & reading & drooling
I saw pictures of hats on guys in bowling shirts - Hawaiian shirts - suits - you name it and I thought "That could work for me".
My wife (she's a Saint [angel] ) told me to have fun..But -- Just like my Hawaiian shirts - she retains first right of refusal...(no complaints there I'm over a hundred shirts & counting)
TAH DAH
I have always loved the style of dress hats but never thought they were for me with the extremely casual dress style I have.
Have always liked Australian hats but didn't want to be seen as a Mick Dundee wannabe.(who knew there was SO much more & looks better for "the outdoorsman")
Or the venerable Fedora but just didn't know what to do.
I went to Akubra's site after finding they were the ones who supplied the film and MY-OH-MY what a collection.
The Aussie Drover styles are great (Yank cowboy just not me - good looking on many folks - but just can't pull that off)
The Fedora's are amazing.
BUT - When I saw The Akubra Territory -- THAT WAS THE HAT FOR ME.
My order for a Khaki Teritory (should go with just about EVERY Hawaiian I own) went to Everything Australian (great price) and I am eagerly awaiting my new beauty to arrive..
Because I have an "in-between" head (see large mellon lol ) I followed the guidelines I found on many post's here and ordered the next size up - a 60 (7 1/2). in hopes it will mold itself to my noggin.
Friends lemme tell you the wealth of knowledege I found here is amazing and made my decision of Maker - style - and the appropriateness of a fine hat - a very easy choice for sure.
IT'S AKUBRA FOR ME and that's a fact. I AM DEFINATELY ON AKUBRA OVERLOAD...
Banjo's and Stylemasters and Bogarts and Campdrafts and and and -
I'M HOOKED :eek: :eek: :D
I will now take a little lie down to recover - Thanks for this wonderful repository of knowledge - style and memories...
Looking forward to many happy hat days to come.

Hamletsghost :cool2:

I've got quite a few vintage ORs in my hard to find hat size, paid as little as $45 for some on ebay. Deals are there to be found if you look hard & have a tad of luck in the mix. Best of luck!
theinterchange said:
Thanks for the welcome! Having long wanted an Open Road [vintage of course] but never quite willing to pay the price they usually command on eBay, the Campdraft is an obvious choice.

Randy

Duper

Practically Family
Welcome Hamletsghost, yes this is a marvelous place with a wealth of knowledge, funny quips, and soon to be famliar faces if you drop by often enough. Post some pics of your new Akubra when it comes in.

Be sure to check out the classifieds section. There are often some well cared for beauties floating around looking for a new home.

Tone

A-List Customer
CRH said:
Welcome to the lounge, Randy. Looks like you are off too a good start. I'm one of the biggest Squatter fans around here. I'd love to see some pics when yours arrives!

Go for the Campdraft. You need a thin ribbon in there. :D

Out of curiosity, CRH. Since you bought the Bluegrass Green not too long ago, which Squatter do you find yourself wearing more on a day to day basis? The Bluegrass Green or the death-defying (fence stopper) Black? :)

Has that Bluegrass Green seen as much wear time?

theinterchange

One Too Many
Duper said:
Welcome Hamletsghost, yes this is a marvelous place with a wealth of knowledge, funny quips, and soon to be famliar faces if you drop by often enough. Post some pics of your new Akubra when it comes in.

Be sure to check out the classifieds section. There are often some well cared for beauties floating around looking for a new home.

Yes, welcome Hamletsghost, from another fairly new person! Looking forward to seeing your hat!

And I will post photos of the Squatter when it arrives, which COULD be any day now, except today, the mail has ran already.

Randy

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Tone said:
Out of curiosity, CRH. Since you bought the Bluegrass Green not too long ago, which Squatter do you find yourself wearing more on a day to day basis? The Bluegrass Green or the death-defying (fence stopper) Black? :)

Has that Bluegrass Green seen as much wear time?

The green one, the willow green one ;), definitely gets more wear time. I can wear it in fair to warmer weather but the black one is reserved for cool to cold cloudy days.

I'd love to see the willow green and the bluegrass green side by side.

Tone

A-List Customer
CRH said:
The green one, the willow green one ;), definitely gets more wear time. I can wear it in fair to warmer weather but the black one is reserved for cool to cold cloudy days.

I'd love to see the willow green and the bluegrass green side by side.

"Willow" Green. Yes, Willow green. lol Come on. I got the "green" part right.
That is good to hear about the color. I wasn't sure if it was one of those occasion type colors. Yours confirms that it is most definitely not. ;)

theinterchange

One Too Many
Merry Christmas From Australia

This afternoon I went out to chat with the mailman, and noticed a box from The Hattery in his van!

DSC_3842.jpg

Gotta love the personal touch they add to their packaging!
DSC_3847.jpg

What awaits inside the box!
DSC_3844.jpg

I'm nothing but PLEASED with the color on this hat! Carbon Grey. I'd say it was a dusty grey-blue, which will match my wardrobe nicely. I expected it to be a bit darker, but am happy it's lighter.
DSC_3845.jpg

AND, a nice looking bow.
DSC_3846.jpg

It was a bit loose out of the box, but as I've let it sit, and had it on my head a bit, it's fitting nicely. I may need to add some tape for a few days, or maybe not.

The felt is VERY nice, and it seems like things will go quite smooth when I get it bashed. I'll take photos once I finish, still deciding what I want to do with 'er... choices choices!

Randy

babs

A-List Customer
Randy that looks awesome!! Now smoosh it up into a little ball, then throw a bash into it. :) hehehehe (kidding!)

But didn't I see someone do that.. Oh yeah, Penmann did that somewhere on one of his vids. I guess that'd definitely get the new-hat stiffies out of it.

That carbon gray is a beaut! :)

theinterchange said:
...It was a bit loose out of the box, but as I've let it sit, and had it on my head a bit, it's fitting nicely. I may need to add some tape for a few days, or maybe not.
NICE one Randy! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
All my Campdrafts started out just like that, one much loser than the others. I mainly needed the spacers on the sides for my Long Oval shape but all have since been removed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart