Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Neophyte said:
Got caught in a rainstorm this morning with my new favorite hat. The brim width has really grown on me, and the fur felt is soft but stiff, so it keeps it shape really well.

FedoraCaughtInRain.jpg
Hey, a classic shot. Now I've gotta get me one this Fall and find a rainstorm to stand in. No, seriously. It looks like a great weather hat, a specific purpose on my list of reasons to wear hats.

danofarlington

Myth Busters

Seeing all these Squatter models in photos, now I'm wondering--is Squatter the hat used by Adam on Myth Busters? I pondered what hat that is, but Squatter is my best guess.

Neophyte

There's a thread about this called "Adam Savage of MythBusters". In it, one of the Loungers emailed Adam about his hat and he replied that over the years he has had around 4 Akubra hats. I'm not sure which hat you're talking about, but the khaki/tan one seems to be either an Akubra Drover or Bushman, sans ribbon.

And Danofarlington, thank you for the compliment. The hat is becoming my favorite, even over the Fed IV, and the dark green color seems to work/not clash with whatever I wear.

danofarlington

Squatter sizing

What is the conventional Akubra wisdom about buying a particular size of hat? Take your own size. Do Akubra buyers say you should go down one size, or up one size, or what; and then are we expecting the hat to shrink up after exposure to heavy rain? I am confused about the instruction. Or do I just buy my usual size?

I have purchased 3 Campdrafts, 1 Kiandra & 2 Squatters, all my usual size. All fit just fine. HTH
danofarlington said:
What is the conventional Akubra wisdom about buying a particular size of hat? Take your own size. Do Akubra buyers say you should go down one size, or up one size, or what; and then are we expecting the hat to shrink up after exposure to heavy rain? I am confused about the instruction. Or do I just buy my usual size?

jbucklin

Practically Family
Danofarlington, I was told by someone at the Hattery (Hats Direct) that the Federation IVs all run a half size smaller. I think the problem is more about the shape of your head. If you're a long-oval then a Fed may feel too tight in the front and back if you order one in your size.

Neophyte

Danofarlington

It seems safest with any of the hats to order one size up to account for shrinkage, and then fill in the extra space with foam. I wouldn't do this for the Heritage class felt hats, since it supposedly takes FOREVER for them to shrink. My Fed IV was size 60, my Fedora 60, and my Squatter 60, and I'm a 59. The only one that fits almost snug around my head without foam is the Fedora, but that's because my head (looking down from above) is egg shaped, and the Fedora's block is quite circular. Even so, it is still the softest, most comfortable hat I own.

If you're looking to buy the Squatter, I'd say you're probably safe ordering your own size. The block of the Squatter is a wide oval, and it took two strips of foam on either side for it to fit for me (then again, my head shape naturally creates a large gap in those areas with every hat I own.

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
jbucklin said:
Danofarlington, I was told by someone at the Hattery (Hats Direct) that the Federation IVs all run a half size smaller. I think the problem is more about the shape of your head. If you're a long-oval then a Fed may feel too tight in the front and back if you order one in your size.

I was told the same, but the Fed IV ordered in my size (59) was a tad large. The Campdraft was a little larger. Both the Fed and CD conformed to my head size after a few wears, I never bothered with the tape in the lining.

My Squatter (59) came off of e-bay and I can't account for it's origin. It's Imperial felt with a salmon colored liner and no vent eyelets on the side. I was in the process of ordering my first Campdraft from the Hattery and asked Ron about the Squatter as it was snug. He said the Squatter was rounder and not as oval as the CD or Fed. I don't know about the current Squatter as this was before it was made.

My best advice is to measure and ask your vendors recommendation. I've purchased all of my Akubras through Hats Direct and their service and communication has been excellent. They've answered any style and sizing question I've had accurately.

jbucklin

Practically Family
Measure loosely! I think I pulled the tape measure way too tight and it came out at 58.5. I told Jenny at the Hattery my measurement and she said to go ahead and order a 59. It's a little snug in front and back due to my long-oval head shape. I bought a Hat Jack and am starting to stretch it a little.

Neophyte

Solid advice Jbucklin.
As for chuck, you mentioned a more circular block. If this was true, then the Squatter has changed. I bought mine about two weeks ago from HatsDirect, and it has an oval block.
Pretty amazing the changes a hat can go through.:)

Anyway, good luck Dano

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
So, I may be able to join this illustrious thread properly soon (well, not so soon). I was just talking to my mother, who is thinking of having my sister (who is in Australia), pick me up an Akubra for either my birthday and she wanted to know what I would like, and what my size was, and the like.
I said that I would prefer a Campdraft in silverbelly, followed by a Squatter (encouraged by that great picture of Neophyte in the rain), then by a Federation. However, I am pretty sure that the Federation is only from Hats Direct, so that basically throws it out of the window, which is fine, because I like bound brims.

Anyway, hopefully there is an Akubra in my future.

(I wouldn't recommend holding you breath, my birthday is in November.)

Neophyte

Thank you

The Campdraft is a great hat, and I no doubt would have bought it. Alas, with my dark hair and pale skin, the available "lighter" colors of the Campdraft seem to wash me out. In addition, I'm not sure I would like the extremely narrow ribbon. However, if you like the Campdraft, go for it. The only other difference I can think of is that the Squatter has a somewhat shorter crown than the Campdraft, resulting is less felt to work with. I don't find this a bad thing at all, just a difference. One day I may work up the nerve to buy a Mid-Brown or Bluegrass green Campdraft, but I've yet to develop the kind of patience needed to survive that 3-month wait period.

After the Federation, I got a Fedora and Squatter. The Fedora is the softest, most comfortable hat I own, but the narrow brim and taper relegates it to "casual" wear. The Squatter has quickly become my favorite hat, and is good for both casual and dress wear (as soon as I find some kind of dark green jacket, blazer, or suit).

Neophyte

JBucklin, you asked earlier if the Squatter was precreased or came open crown. I'm going to take that as a compliment, because it came open-crowned, and this was actually my first attempt at a center crease EVER.

Tone

A-List Customer
Don't know if the Squatter's changed so much as the perception of what makes a good-looking hat. :D

BTW, good job on the hat, Neophyte. You look at home with the Squatter.

Neophyte

Thank you very much for your kind words, Tone. I have to agree with you, though it took me a solid week or more to get used to the nearly 3-inch brim.

Oh, and Tone, you said I looked at home in the Squatter...I couldn't agree with you more, as I took this shot right outside of my basement door (if you go back to the original post, I may or may not have mentioned accidentally locking myself out of my own house.).

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Tone

A-List Customer
Neophyte said:
Thank you very much for your kind words, Tone. I have to agree with you, though it took me a solid week or more to get used to the nearly 3-inch brim.

Oh, and Tone, you said I looked at home in the Squatter...I couldn't agree with you more, as I took this shot right outside of my basement door (if you go back to the original post, I may or may not have mentioned accidentally locking myself out of my own house.).
You're welcome.

No, no. Didn't mean looked at home because you were feet away from your house. lol Just a great looking hat and a nice job on it. The brim works at 3" and there's plenty of play left if you ever get tired of those specs. The hat's looking sharp as it is.

Neophyte

Don't worry Tone, I knew what you meant. I simply saw the chance for some (somewhat) clever/(obnoxious) wordplay, and I simply couldn't pass it up.
Again, thank you. Honestly, I wasn't that comfortable in the Squatter until two things happened:

1.)TFLoungers started complimenting my hat (and me as well)

2.) I started working outside with it, in rain and bright sunshine, and was impressed with the protection and comfort it provides.

Eventually, I'll either move on to a Campdraft, or ask Art to create something with similar specs to the Squatter, but with a higher crown (probably in that beautiful "Oxblood" color that was displayed recently in another thread).

Tone

A-List Customer
Exactly why the Bushman continues to be my all time favorite Akubra. ;) The Squatter really is fun, though. Keep up the search! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn