Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

The Good

Call Me a Cab
It definitely looks nice! Whatever the case, I'm sure it's better quality than my faux-Panama hat, by UltrafinoPanamaHat.com, or something. I still wear this one from time to time, if I'm not wearing my Akubra, however.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Akubra Sombrero

Hi

I have a few Akubra Sombrero questions:

1. How much taper does an Akubra Sombrero have? Can I put a 1.5 inch ribbon on it without leaving a gap at the top of the ribbon?

2. How stiff is the Akubra Sombrero? The Stratton I have is stiff as a board seems to be very thick felt. The Beaver Brand fedora I have is a lot thinner, and while stiff isn't as heavy.

3. Where can I get the Sombrero for the best price? It appears that shipping is a huge cost drive in hats. $26 minimum from Australia to the US.

Thanks

Sand Stockman

New in Town
Hi All,
First post here, from Hong Kong..
After 1.8 years in Malaysia, 8 months in Nigeria, 2 years in Indonesia, and 2 years in Hong Kong, my Stockman finally gave up on me...Just ordered a new one, exactly the same, sand color..and I couldn't resist to a Flinders in sand color too for more formal outings, so I have something nice to wear once the Stockman looks like..humnn..what it's supposed to look like :) Special orders, so delivery in 10 weeks.
Since I can't be seen naked like that much longer, I should receive a Leisure Time, Regency fawn soon :)..Never had one before but it looks really nice from some of the pictures I've seen on the forum here.
Lots of hats on their way...a tribute to my loved dying Stockman. Never let me down (and lucky this thing can't speak too lol ).
Anyways, just a litle "Hello" from Hong Kong.
Cheers
ED

Duper

Practically Family
The Leisuretime looks just like the Banjo Paterson to me. There is of course a difference in the felt quality, but the BP is a very nice hat. Brim wide enough without going to an extreme. Moderate crown height and size. I have been sporting my fawn BP a lot the last week with all the rain we have had. It stood up to an absolute torrential downpour a few weekends back and is none the worse for the wear. I think I would also seriously consider purchasing a Leisuretime because I like the style and it has many more colour options than the BP.

jbucklin

Practically Family
I decided to post this here instead of a thread where it didn't necessarily belong. I am trying a narrower Indy-pinch on my Fed IV. I think it looks better since I shaved my Colonel Sanders beard off. ;) What do you guys think?

Photo146.jpg

theinterchange

One Too Many
jbucklin said:
I decided to post this here instead of a thread where it didn't necessarily belong. I am trying a narrower Indy-pinch on my Fed IV. I think it looks better since I shaved my Colonel Sanders beard off. ;) What do you guys think?

I like it! The tighter pinch suits you well, I think.

Randy

danofarlington

jbucklin said:

Photo146.jpg
I don't select front pinch for myself. But you look good in the hat that has it. So, I vote that it works well.

Neophyte

Thank you.

I like the pinch I've made, but I don't like the "pinhead" effect it gives me from close up. I was trying to think of a way to be able to bring the tilt forward on my head without having the brim covering my eyes, and suddenly it hit me: flip!

I really like the effect. It didn't work so well on my trimmed Squatter, but with the wide brim and bound edge, it was very easy to accomplish on the CD. This has the added benefit of allowing me greater variety of hat shape when I get around to ordering that BG Campdraft. I think I'm going to keep it like this :) .

James71

A-List Customer
Re the leisuretime

Ive got one here that I bought for my wife that she never wears so can take pics or answer any questions if required. Personally I dont like it much. Unbound brim and a little too narrow in the brim for me. Nice flame red silk lining though.

Neophyte

James71 said:
Ive got one here that I bought for my wife that she never wears so can take pics or answer any questions if required. Personally I dont like it much. Unbound brim and a little too narrow in the brim for me. Nice flame red silk lining though.

If you like it, you should pull the ol' "switcharoo" and trade liners lol, with the wife's permission, of course :rolleyes:!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sirteen