Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
Akubra "The Boss"

This one came in the mail yesterday...
0473b32f.jpg

More pictures are on the e-bay thread.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=29169&page=575

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I hope that hat has a chinstrap, because you'll be leaving that monster behind every time you pass through a doorway ;).

All jokes aside, though, it looks really cool! Nice score :arated:!

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
Neophyte said:
I hope that hat has a chinstrap, because you'll be leaving that monster behind every time you pass through a doorway lol lol lol.

All jokes aside, though, it looks really cool! Nice score :arated:!
That's funny but true. I haven't worn a brim like this since high school, so I need to get used to it again. I also have to pick up some new black boots. I have a nice pair to go with the cattleman but no black ones for this hat.

Theodor Adorno

New in Town
Akubra Gymkhana

Hi All! (my first posting)

I've recently acquired quite a good range of akubras

3 x stylemaster (the acorn fawn is a particularly appealing colour)

1 x Whippet
1 x Hampton

1 x Leisure Time
1 x Down Under
1 x Stockman

1 x CEO
1 x Deluxe Fed IV

today, I received a black Gymkhana I won off Ebay. To be honest, I bought it as a bit of a whim -at most to act as one of my dog-walking hats down by the local river, but I like it so much it may well be reserved for more "official appearances".

Forgive me if there are detailed discussions of this hat elsewhere (I couldn't find them) but it really is a great/unusual blend of outback/fedora styles. It has a pork pie crown but a snap brim at the front and turned up brim at the back and a casually tied-off leather band to add some contrast. (Apologies for the lack of a photo - but most of the major akubra vendors have a picture of it).

Rather than just dog-walking, I can see this working great with a leather jacket or even a rain coat when out and about in the city. Its broad brim really doesn't seem so broad because the hat's so well-proportioned.

Just goes to show you the role of expectations/surprises in hat buying - I was expecting so little from this hat, and now it's turned out to be one of my favourites ...

so please do bear it in mind when considering which akubra you're going to buy next - it seems to get relatively little attention compared to all the other akubras and it does seem to bridge the city/country divide like few other styles.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else agrees that this is a possibly under-rated akubra?

very best,

Paul.

EggHead

Practically Family
Hi Paul,
I am considering Leisure Time, I see you listed it.
Just curious, how comfortable is it to wear? I have a Fedora (Sydney), it's open crown and relatively soft in the sweatband area, so fits/adjusts very well with the contours of my head. I am thinking of getting a stiffer hat and was wondering if I need to break it in?

Thanks,
EH

go for the poly straw

Neophyte said:
Hey everyone!

Alright, I need the opinions and experiences of Akubra aficionados on this problem.

It's finally gotten too hot to wear my felt hats (and right after I just ordered a Bluegrass Green Campdraft. The iron is palpable).

So I'm looking for a straw. I'm interested in these two hats:

1.) DavidMorgan's Panama Fedora: http://www.davidmorgan.com/product_info.php?products_id=1319
and

2.) Akubra's Balmoral straw: http://hatsdirect.com/cgi-bin/products.cgi?view=70&returncat=Straw+Hats&returnpage=0

Anyone have any experience with either of these hats?

Akubra makes a few traditional straw hats and a few that are "polystraw" These in include the country club, rink, capricorn, and hamlet. I have 3 of these and couldn't ask for a better summer hat, light weight, breathable, and so durable you can spray them off with a hose and they come out looking great!
img291.jpg

EggHead

Practically Family
Hi Nick,
I have the same charcoal hat, bought it in USA (it's called Sydney). What is your impression of the "darkness" of the hat? I am thinking of replacing the ribbon to a lighter gray color to create some contrast and lighten up the color of the hat. I have dark gray or black coats and jackets that I wear it with and maybe it makes my attire too dark. What is your impression?

Thanks,
EH

Theodor Adorno

New in Town
EggHead said:
Hi Paul,
I am considering Leisure Time, I see you listed it.
Just curious, how comfortable is it to wear? I have a Fedora (Sydney), it's open crown and relatively soft in the sweatband area, so fits/adjusts very well with the contours of my head. I am thinking of getting a stiffer hat and was wondering if I need to break it in?

Thanks,
EH

Hi EH,

I have the Leisure Time in Regency Fawn - it is comfortable enough to wear, although it does come quite stiff. Personally, however, I can only see myself wearing the LT dog walking or out trekking - not really for more day-to-day use. It does make a great hat for rain, but the way it is proportioned the crown appears to be quite a high one and I don't think it goes really well with normal town clothes.

What I really like about the Gymkhana is that it's a softer immediate fit than the LT, the crown - although the same height as the LT (approx 4.5") - looks lower, and as I said in the previous message, I would happily wear the G in both the city and countryside, whereas, the LT strikes me as much more of a countryside hat and I am much more self-conscious when I wear it. So the G wins for me because it really is dual-purpose.

The other thing I forgot to mention is that there's a feather cleverly sewn in horizontally into the front of the thin leather band which looks great (I'm not normally a massive feather-fan)- there's also a feather inserted vertically in the side band - I've taken this out, but others might like it.

all the best,

Paul.

Nik Taylor

One of the Regulars
EggHead said:
Hi Nick,
I have the same charcoal hat, bought it in USA (it's called Sydney). What is your impression of the "darkness" of the hat? I am thinking of replacing the ribbon to a lighter gray color to create some contrast and lighten up the color of the hat. I have dark gray or black coats and jackets that I wear it with and maybe it makes my attire too dark. What is your impression?

Thanks,
EH

Hi Egg

The color is Burnt Oak. It is darker and richer than my Federation Deluxe IV brown.

The "Fedora" (Sydney) darkness is complimentary to my Mediterranean olive skin tone and the clothing I wear with it. The hat has got a spunky attitude.

I also have a Moonstone Federation Deluxe IV and that goes well with much of my attire.

While the Feds are great and accentuate my physique, crisp lines and appearance, the "Fedora" creates a more streamlined and "smarter" image.

Methuselah

One of the Regulars
Theodor Adorno said:

I've recently acquired quite a good range of akubras.

A fellow Mancunian! Welcome to the Lounge.
That's quite a list of Akubra's - don't suppose you bought them locally? I'd like an Akubra fedora, but don't like shopping for such things on the internet.

Theodor Adorno

New in Town
Methuselah said:
A fellow Mancunian! Welcome to the Lounge.
That's quite a list of Akubra's - don't suppose you bought them locally? I'd like an Akubra fedora, but don't like shopping for such things on the internet.

Hi Methuselah,

I'm originally from the People's Republic of Merseyside, I fear I find myself in Manchester because of something bad I did in a past life :eusa_doh:

apart from a few off Ebay, most were bought online from Hats Direct in Oz.

members here all spoke very highly of their service so I was confident I'd get what I wanted (and I knew my accurate head size). To back up the good opinion people have of Hats Direct - I ordered some Christys' hats from the UK the same day as some akubras from Oz - the akubras arrived first!

very best,

Paul.

Theodor Adorno

New in Town
Theodor Adorno said:

I've recently acquired quite a good range of akubras

3 x stylemaster (the acorn fawn is a particularly appealing colour)

1 x Whippet
1 x Hampton

1 x Leisure Time
1 x Down Under
1 x Stockman

1 x CEO
1 x Deluxe Fed IV

1 x Gymkhana

I now have to edit the above list - I was waiting for my Deluxe Fed IV and it arrived today in Regency Fawn. Wow!!!!!:eusa_clap

I thought all the hoopla on this Site about them was a bit cultish - but I can now totally see why people rave about them so much!

Because a) I'd read a lot of your accounts about how to bash the open crown and b) because I have an industrial size espresso machine with an almost endless supply of steam (it's plumbed into the water mains) - I managed to get a really nice bash in about 3 mins! I was expecting much more trouble, but lots of targeted steam really does seem to do the trick.

I'm so impressed that, if it's not too late, I've cancelled the C.E.O I had on order and am hoping to get two more Deluxes - one in dark brown and one in Moonstone.

I don't have a regular Fed to compare the pelt, but the Deluxe really is top notch, it "felt" miles too big at first, but once bashed and worn for about 5 mins - the leather sweatband almost melts into your forehead ...

better stop myself wittering on, but just to say I am now a fully paid-up "Fed-head"!!;)

best,

Paul.

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
Akubra "Sundowner"

I recently picked up this Akubra on the auction site. It is very comfortable and fits me better than any hat I own. I can't find any information on it on the Akubra site or the web. It's called a "Sundowner"
9bbfcd97.jpg

Maybe it was a larger brim model that was modified? I don't know. It says size 59 - 7 1/4 (which typically would be a 7 3/8) so I'm guessing maybe that is a UK size? It fits me perfectly and I'm just a tad under a 7 3/8 LO.
613b627f.jpg

0dc759ca.jpg

I would like to replace the ribbon but I really like this hat. The crown is almost too soft but the brim is stiff enough. I think it has been bashed every which way in the past.
bca575bb.jpg

Mr E Train

One Too Many
Rodkins said:
I recently picked up this Akubra on the auction site. It is very comfortable and fits me better than any hat I own. I can't find any information on it on the Akubra site or the web. It's called a "Sundowner"
9bbfcd97.jpg

Does that say "Pur Fur Felt" on the sweatband? For that reason, I'm wondering if it's possible that it's one of those Chinese counterfeit Akubras that I've heard about. Not to rain on your parade or anything because it's a nice looking hat, and a nice hat is a nice hat; it's just kind of suspicious. I've also never heard of an Akubra model called the Sundowner. Veddy eenterestingk.

CircuitRider

One of the Regulars
Rodkins said:
9bbfcd97.jpg

Maybe it was a larger brim model that was modified? I don't know. It says size 59 - 7 1/4 (which typically would be a 7 3/8) so I'm guessing maybe that is a UK size? It fits me perfectly and I'm just a tad under a 7 3/8 LO.
613b627f.jpg

0dc759ca.jpg

I would like to replace the ribbon but I really like this hat. The crown is almost too soft but the brim is stiff enough. I think it has been bashed every which way in the past.
bca575bb.jpg

A little Hydrolac would make that crown just like new!:)

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
Mr E Train said:
Does that say "Pur Fur Felt" on the sweatband? For that reason, I'm wondering if it's possible that it's one of those Chinese counterfeit Akubras that I've heard about. Not to rain on your parade or anything because it's a nice looking hat, and a nice hat is a nice hat; it's just kind of suspicious. I've also never heard of an Akubra model called the Sundowner. Veddy eenterestingk.
It does! I think you may be onto something.

W4ASZ

Practically Family
Mr E Train said:

Barmah has a leather hat called the Sundowner Roo, which this isn't, either.

I don't see any color in the liner. All my Akubra felt hats have some red in the Akubra seal.

But maybe "Pur Fur Felt" is a sad way of alluding to a type of Kitten Finish.

Something else to worry about on the famous site.

Mr E Train

One Too Many
W4ASZ said:
Barmah has a leather hat called the Sundowner Roo, which this isn't, either.

I don't see any color in the liner. All my Akubra felt hats have some red in the Akubra seal.

But maybe "Pur Fur Felt" is a sad way of alluding to a type of Kitten Finish.

Something else to worry about on the famous site.

You're right. I didn't even pay much attention liner, which also looks like it says "Pur Fur Felt."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou