Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

wedgetail

New in Town
Ok sort of finished, pleased with the band but not 100% on the bash. I think I want to define the dents more and maybe bring the sides together a bit. A few more steaming sessions maybe. Also the brim could be a bit flatter. Got a good response from the others at work this morning - they're more into pro rodeo style but appreciated this one...

image_zpsaatwaqfm.jpg

image_zps5lzwifhl.jpg

image_zpsqw8crqfc.jpg

image_zpsh9wt0zaa.jpg

image_zpsgf5ncuqb.jpg

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Nice Job Wedgetail ! That band looks Great ! Looks like Oak Dye , Darker is called Walnut , then there's Black . Boy you brought the Woomera crown down , still looks Great . Yeah , around here and other places its hard to find anything other than PRCA (low Cattleman AKA Alpine) Crease , then the Cutter , and the Quarter Horse (taller Cattlemen) , Rancher is kind of in between , or the old RCA (or some version of the Canadian Brick) Crease , but then the Gus is popular , used to be called the Tom Horn , or Old Mule Skinner/Packer . You get up in Montana , and out there it gets into more options , Peak , Six Gun , Two Dot , Three Dot , SageBrush , Oreana , and variations . One Peak is like a Military Four Dent (Two each side) , the other has a Dent in Front , each Side , and Back . Buckaroo stuff depending on where they're from . Then the Brims , Tacoed (up tight) , Roper (more flat with a little curl) squared off in the front about as wide as your eyes . Kettle Curl , Pencil Curl and slightly Rolled . Then the Wild Stuff . I was thinking about a Peak in The Woomera I get , or just a Center Crease , maybe Dents , bring the Brim sides down some . I like the Curl on the Sombrero edge . I play with them until I figure out what I like Best . Pro Rodeo and Horse Shows have the Official Creases , I guess approved . Here's a Chart , but different places call one crease something different ...
hat_creases-3.jpg

Looks Great !
Ok sort of finished, pleased with the band but not 100% on the bash. I think I want to define the dents more and maybe bring the sides together a bit. A few more steaming sessions maybe. Also the brim could be a bit flatter. Got a good response from the others at work this morning - they're more into pro rodeo style but appreciated this one...

image_zpsaatwaqfm.jpg

image_zps5lzwifhl.jpg

image_zpsqw8crqfc.jpg

image_zpsh9wt0zaa.jpg

image_zpsgf5ncuqb.jpg

wedgetail

New in Town
Thanks guys, love it but will keep tweeking for a while probably! Thanks for the chart Michael, mine sort of looked a bit like a Canadian. As I'm shooting for something more like an akubra border (bash-wise) it made me realise what was wrong.

I've raised the sides in the middle a little and brought them in so its a fair bit more narrow at the top. Also made the dents more pronounced. Will get a photo up shortly

Eliesti

A-List Customer
Hatsdirect.com just raised their prices on the Fed IV Deluxe. I'm not sure if they raised anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
It would certainly be helpful if Hats Direct would give the crown heights and brim measurements and tell us whether or not there are hooks for attaching chin straps. Their new site looks cooler but has significantly less info.

Obsessed

One of the Regulars
Speaking of prices, how is it that they can vary so much from retailer to retailer for the same hat? I'm referring to ubiquitous styles like the Cattleman, for example, which is US$20 cheaper at Everything Australian than it is at Hats Direct.

I hasten to add that Hats Direct is a great outfit that I've bought a couple of hats from. But it's difficult to justify paying so much more for the same product when the less expensive retailer is equally reputable.

Eliesti

A-List Customer
Speaking of prices, how is it that they can vary so much from retailer to retailer for the same hat? I'm referring to ubiquitous styles like the Cattleman, for example, which is US$20 cheaper at Everything Australian than it is at Hats Direct.

I hasten to add that Hats Direct is a great outfit that I've bought a couple of hats from. But it's difficult to justify paying so much more for the same product when the less expensive retailer is equally reputable.
Well said.

Eliesti

A-List Customer
I'm in the market for a summer straw. Anyone have both the Zephyr and the Balmoral? They appear to be the same exact hat except for color, type of straw (synthetic v. hemp), and venting. Would anyone recommend one over the other and comment on why?

There does not seem to be much commentary on here regarding either hat and especially with regard to one v. the other.
I wanted to bump this post. I would like to know as well if anyone recommends the Zephyr or Balmoral as I would like to order only one of these two hats.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
I know Chamuco has the Capricorn . You just about need to keep up with What Hat Are You Wearing Today Thread , or Post Your New Hat Here Thread to see , I'm sure somebody has them .

He may have one of these , too . And I world check Hats By The Hundred channel on youtube , and put in what you're looking for , they do the product review vids . You can get a better idea what they really look like .

Last edited:

Eliesti

A-List Customer
Thanks. I was really looking to see if someone thought there was a significant difference in comfort and/or quality between the hemp and synthetic straw or the vented and unvented structure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
A lot of guys have been buying the Hemp , especially this year , Stetson OR and Strats , I'm not big on synthetic , love the Hemp . Plus I noticed the custom Hemps and others from Peters Bros Hats in Fort Worth , custom $90 , I think , for most . Nice Hats . But these are Nice , too . Meyer has a few genuine Panama Stetson OR's left , not my size , but they're nice , and more expensive , too . But I don't think they're making them anymore , but Peters Bros might do a Shady Oak in Panama , or Hemp , Custom , pretty sure they do , but you'll have to call Shane and ask probably , but they'll build it exactly like you want . Nice Hats !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner