Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

David Morgan now has the Campdraft on their list of hats. Presently they only have one color (Silverbelly) in one size (62). I guess that's a start. I realize that they may have absorbed some stock from another retailer that is closing-out or some such thing, but it is nice to see the hat on their site.

Well, they got the size right anyway. :)

I hope they are wrong when they listed the crown at only 5 1/2 inches.

The Shoe

One Too Many
I finally found the time to give my new Campdraft a Diamond bash. This was my first time shaping an open crowned hat. I’m pretty happy with the results, but no offense will be taken to constructive criticism…especially as I’ll be doing my new Fed IV before too long.
8F26B224-5CBF-4A8F-90D7-1360B99B7875.jpeg
114B311D-2089-4768-BADD-516527C36B0E.jpeg

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
I finally found the time to give my new Campdraft a Diamond bash. This was my first time shaping an open crowned hat. I’m pretty happy with the results, but no offense will be taken to constructive criticism…especially as I’ll be doing my new Fed IV before too long. View attachment 343541 View attachment 343539

How superb! I never got around to getting a CD, but did try a few other Akubras - Fedora Open, Stylemaster and believe it or not, my first ever hat was a Cooper Pedy! All long gone in my hat journey though. My only comment for a sharp Diamond is to get those two back spots the same as your front - just stick your fingers in the crease and steam over them - but that might give it a sharper look than you want. The front looks great - i always imagined the CD was much taller. Did you go for a 60cm or 59? I had mine in 60cm, but they were always a bit too large, and I didn't steam them to reduce - looking back a regret.

The Shoe

One Too Many
How superb! I never got around to getting a CD, but did try a few other Akubras - Fedora Open, Stylemaster and believe it or not, my first ever hat was a Cooper Pedy! All long gone in my hat journey though. My only comment for a sharp Diamond is to get those two back spots the same as your front - just stick your fingers in the crease and steam over them - but that might give it a sharper look than you want. The front looks great - i always imagined the CD was much taller. Did you go for a 60cm or 59? I had mine in 60cm, but they were always a bit too large, and I didn't steam them to reduce - looking back a regret.
Thanks, Peter.
You’re very observant as usual.
I emailed The Hattery Katoomba with details of my head measurements, other Akubras I own (all size 60), some other hats I own and Stetsons I’ve tried on in hat shops. On their advice, I got size 59. I’m very happy with the fit, but will need to do my best to avoid shrinkage.
I may try to sharpen up those sides a bit. Looking at it again now, I see the left side (when on my head) is less sharp than the right. I’ll try to get it a little more even at some stage.

Mm25

One Too Many
Thanks, Peter.
You’re very observant as usual.
I emailed The Hattery Katoomba with details of my head measurements, other Akubras I own (all size 60), some other hats I own and Stetsons I’ve tried on in hat shops. On their advice, I got size 59. I’m very happy with the fit, but will need to do my best to avoid shrinkage.
I may try to sharpen up those sides a bit. Looking at it again now, I see the left side (when on my head) is less sharp than the right. I’ll try to get it a little more even at some stage.
Don’t make it too perfect, people will think it machine creased. It looks great.

1967Cougar390

Practically Family
I finally found the time to give my new Campdraft a Diamond bash. This was my first time shaping an open crowned hat. I’m pretty happy with the results, but no offense will be taken to constructive criticism…especially as I’ll be doing my new Fed IV before too long. View attachment 343541 View attachment 343539

You crease looks fantastic! Well done.

Steven

...I may try to sharpen up those sides a bit. Looking at it again now, I see the left side (when on my head) is less sharp than the right. I’ll try to get it a little more even at some stage.
My experience with Akubras has been that the brim flange takes a while to present itself. On every one of my hats the flange got deeper on it's own during the first couple of weeks of my wearing them. Not a huge amount, mind you, but noticeable if you're paying attention. So you might wait a week or two to see what develops. Or not, it's your hat.

Great crease, by the way! The height and shape really suit you!

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
I’m very happy with the fit, but will need to do my best to avoid shrinkage.

The penman Hat company Hat Jack is one of the best investments I have ever made - its a full oval jack and stand at the same time - it works wonders compared to the other hat jacks - I cant see it on their site, but maybe worth to contact them. Their hats stands are also superb - now that you have a fine collection - its a small price for the quality and utility of their products.

BJC88

New in Town
The penman Hat company Hat Jack is one of the best investments I have ever made - its a full oval jack and stand at the same time - it works wonders compared to the other hat jacks - I cant see it on their site, but maybe worth to contact them. Their hats stands are also superb - now that you have a fine collection - its a small price for the quality and utility of their products.
John has been sick as of late, so he is out of commission until he is feeling better.

Also, iirc, I think he stopped selling the hat jacks years ago.

The Shoe

One Too Many
I’d love to see pictures.

GuitarGuy99

One of the Regulars
I posted this on another thread. I'm just trying to find the right place for it. Hello. What a great group! I have a question concerning the Fed IV. I recently bought a Federation IV Deluxe in moonstone from Hats Direct and the felt is thick. It's a heavy hat, and I really like it. A couple of weeks ago I bought a brown Fed IV Deluxe on ebay and the felt is much thinner. The difference between the two is significant. Is it common for two Deluxe Feds to be so different? Thanks.

I posted this on another thread. I'm just trying to find the right place for it. Hello. What a great group! I have a question concerning the Fed IV. I recently bought a Federation IV Deluxe in moonstone from Hats Direct and the felt is thick. It's a heavy hat, and I really like it. A couple of weeks ago I bought a brown Fed IV Deluxe on ebay and the felt is much thinner. The difference between the two is significant. Is it common for two Deluxe Feds to be so different? Thanks.

I can’t speak to your exact question, but it’s common for Akubra felt to vary quite a bit within the same felt grade.

1967Cougar390

Practically Family

I have two Fed IV’s and as well as other Akubra’s. The felt density seems to be very close to the same in my experience. My Akubra’s were purchased over a period of two years; so maybe my experience has something to do with the felting process during that period. Great hats for the money in my opinion.

Steven

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff