Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

StrawBunyan

New in Town
I posted this on another thread. I'm just trying to find the right place for it. Hello. What a great group! I have a question concerning the Fed IV. I recently bought a Federation IV Deluxe in moonstone from Hats Direct and the felt is thick. It's a heavy hat, and I really like it. A couple of weeks ago I bought a brown Fed IV Deluxe on ebay and the felt is much thinner. The difference between the two is significant. Is it common for two Deluxe Feds to be so different? Thanks.
How old is the one you purchased on Ebay? Is it possible the felt isn't thinner, just broken in, compared to your brand new one.
My Akubra new was like a rock. The more I beat on it and get it wet etc the softer it feels.

GuitarGuy99

One of the Regulars
I don't know how old it is. The new one has a measurably thicker brim and is much stiffer. I didn't shape the brim because I like it the way it came. But the older one does feel softer and more broken in. I like them both.

StrawBunyan

New in Town
Flattened the brim. Lowered the back of the crown about half an inch. Added head bubble. Removed the lining.
IMG_20210724_163701.jpg
IMG_20210724_163910.jpg

StrawBunyan

New in Town
Nice job. I have found Akubra hats not easy to reform. The original crease is there like a shadow. Are you happier with it? I am amazed at how flat the brim is. Good job. Wear it in good health.
Johnny
It was definitely a pain.
I can still kind of see the pinches so I am going to keep at them and the brim is just a small touch low on one side so I need to rectify that but I am definitely happy with the fit and general look. It tightened the hat up some on my head and I needed that. I feel like it sits higher now and I like that.
Not sure what is in store for the crown really. Might repinch. My try something new all together.

Duper

Practically Family
Almost a dozen years later my BGG CD was getting pretty tired. Faded and sweat stained. So a new one has arrived from Sam at EA. It has been many years since I have worked on an open crown hat. I hope I am as pleased with the new one as the old one. The old one is so soft and comfortable. Sort of like the old family dog. The older they get the sweeter they get.
88E4A802-8769-4AC7-AE4D-6D9ACD5A04B4.jpeg

,,,Mike in Canada

Old Gus

New in Town
Greetings All,
Misc. Ramblings:
I finally pulled the trigger on 2 more CDs--Black and Bluegrass Green. Don't tell my wife.
I'm considering how to crease them. Here's a question; If I were to put a soft crease w/o steam or water and each time after wearing I returned it to open crown, either immediately or over time would the crease lines show?
I'm thinking of creasing one (black) as a Gus/Montana like the picture I will post (but w/o the " fru fru" of the bandana, etc. Any comments/suggestions on doing that?
rs=w_1280 (2).jpg

Old Gus

New in Town
Yes Sir--got mine a month ago from the Hattery....last one in my size. Imperial grade, very nice. Now they have only 58 and 59 unfortunately. In Bluegrass Green they have 56 through 61 inclusive.
I think I read somewhere on the Forum that the Hattery special orders color runs from Akubra, like black.

Greetings All,
Misc. Ramblings:
I finally pulled the trigger on 2 more CDs--Black and Bluegrass Green. Don't tell my wife.
I'm considering how to crease them. Here's a question; If I were to put a soft crease w/o steam or water and each time after wearing I returned it to open crown, either immediately or over time would the crease lines show?
I'm thinking of creasing one (black) as a Gus/Montana like the picture I will post (but w/o the " fru fru" of the bandana, etc. Any comments/suggestions on doing that? View attachment 356113

The current Campdraft is listed at having a 5 1/2 inch open crown (I think they used to be taller). I’m not sure you have enough crown for a Gus, but why not give it a try?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ