Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

BlackSmp

New in Town
As far as setting the depth use plenty of steam & I use a big stainless steel salad spoon to press it in & hold until the steam cools

I get better results by spraying them with cold distilled water to shape them than I do using steam

Seems like good tips! Thank you, I'll try later tonight. The day just started here in Sweden. And winter is coming, -10 centrigrade this morning.

BlackSmp

New in Town
3C453D4C-4A3F-411E-BA9D-034D10706352.jpeg

@Hurricane Jack Thanks. The tips about salad spoon sent me in right direction even if I still need some more experiments to learn more.

This is really fun!

The hat band is reflective. Good to have during dark winter days.

Campdraft with a touch of western (my preferred style)

wsmontana

A-List Customer
Received this Squatter today. It is a bit greener than shown. The seller claims it is 30+ years, unused, and size “9”. No size tag and no liner. I did get some rough measurements from the seller and took the risk that it would work for me. Happily it turns out to be about a 60. It is a touch large for me but that is an easy problem to solve. The fur is much finer and lighter weight than my other Akubras. Looking forward to putting it into rotation.

Bill

43C8C552-12D0-4681-B9CD-74CB15CB03C3.jpeg

StoryPNW

Practically Family
Received this Squatter today. It is a bit greener than shown. The seller claims it is 30+ years, unused, and size “9”. No size tag and no liner. I did get some rough measurements from the seller and took the risk that it would work for me. Happily it turns out to be about a 60. It is a touch large for me but that is an easy problem to solve. The fur is much finer and lighter weight than my other Akubras. Looking forward to putting it into rotation.

Bill

View attachment 467643
I think I saw this one come up, nice get! I was curious about the Squatter.

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
Akubra Squatter Featherweight:
View attachment 244020 View attachment 244021 View attachment 244022
Specs:
3" x 2-7/8" Dimensional Brim​
5-1/2" Crown (open)​
1-1/8" Ribbon​
1/4" Binding (symmetric)​
122g Weight​
A somewhat less common model being the unlined, Superfine Quality Australian version. I think the color may be bluegrass green, though some other threads mention it being offered in willow green at one time. I haven't been able to find a good picture to compare as many of the old links are broken. Should make for a good foul weather hat.

Thanks StoryPNW! I haven’t been able to find much about it. I found a seller in Australia who offers a modern Squatter with a 6 month wait. The Squatter seems similar to the Camp Draft.

You can find specs from my Squatter Featherweight posted earlier in this thread.

G MAN

One of the Regulars
I'm not surprised as it's not a big hat and that is why I like it, I have both colours of the Banjo Paterson and the Leisure Time is basically the same hat in Imperial felt quality and a more casual band.
I also like that I can drive with it on as the brim is not too wide, I hate when I have to remove my hat to drive.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ