Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AKUBRA SOMBRERO PICTURES PLEASE

One Drop

One of the Regulars
I found a shop in Zurich that is cutting down the brim, I was surprised when they told me that the brim is the same width all around, in spite of contrary information on the Akubra site and appearances.

He's only taking a centimetre off all around, and reshaping a uniform pencil curl, perhaps I should have had a bit more taken off, we'll see.

I've attached the pictures he sent me, I'll post some photos of the final result when I get it back.

Attachments

• 20230105_175209.jpeg
    20230105_175209.jpeg
    58.9 KB · Views: 87
  • 20230105_175230.jpeg
    20230105_175230.jpeg
    57.8 KB · Views: 95

One Drop

One of the Regulars
Job done, waiting for the return of the hat in the mail ! The shop sent me a couple of pictures, it looks great if a bit out of proportion with this brim shape, but I think it'll look great in person. I might steam a tiny bit more side curl to the brim if I have trouble walking through doorways, LOL.

These pictures show off very well the vintage ribbon with which I replaced the stock cowhide one, and the hat is far more brownish in colour than it appears here.

Attachments

• 20230118_181836.jpeg
    20230118_181836.jpeg
    107.1 KB · Views: 79
  • 20230118_182437.jpeg
    20230118_182437.jpeg
    89.5 KB · Views: 81

One Drop

One of the Regulars
Just back from a long walk with the dog, I'm very happy with the sun protection I'm still getting since the slight brim trim and reworking. I'm much more comfortable with this look, it no longer feels like I've got a canoe perched on my noggin.

I might steam and roll the pencil curl a bit more, it's quite shallow, but the brim shape will stay as is for maximum protection, the sun here at 1500m + is very strong. All in all I can strongly recommend modding this hat to fit your purpose, the felt is lightweight but sturdy and the hat is very comfortable given its size.

In case anyone is interested the wool shirt I'm wearing is a wonderful piece from an old friend's US based company called Beringia, woven in Japan using reclaimed wool, with some interesting technical features and a really nice cut, roomy for layering but still slim looking. Not cheap but well worth the investment, it'll certainly outlive me.

IMG_3716.JPG
IMG_3718.JPG
IMG_3719.JPG

In case anyone is interested the wool shirt I'm wearing is a wonderful piece from an old friend's US based company called Beringia, woven in Japan using reclaimed wool, with some interesting technical features and a really nice cut, roomy for layering but still slim looking. Not cheap but well worth the investment, it'll certainly outlive me.
I do like the shirt. I’ll see what I can find on the brand.

One Drop

One of the Regulars
It looks good.

Looks like a hat that Emer Keith would wear.

Thanks !

I had to look him up, well spotted! I was going for that 1920s Western look, I even sent the hatter a few pictures of Stetsons and Alexanders from the era.

Last edited:

The Shooman

Practically Family
In the 1933 film `Riders of destiny', the bloke to the far left of screen is wearing a hat similar to the Akubra Sombrero. Same rounded high crown, same turned up brim at the sides.
Akubra sombrero - similar hat - Riders of Destiny 1933  1.jpg
Akubra sombrero - similar hat - Riders of Destiny 1933  2.jpg

image_2023-11-21_204959139.png

Last edited:

GabGarde

New in Town
Bit the bullet and got myself an Akubra Sombrero after reading through this thread! Always loved a tall crown because it suits my large, roundish head. I asked to see all the size 59s so I could choose a cowhide band that had a bit of colour contrast.

Attempted to do a Gus crease, and was surprised by how thick and stiff this felt is, compared to my other open crown Akubras (Fed IV and Campdraft). I had assumed that the Superfine quality meant it would be softer. No complaints though; feels like it will last a very long time. Is this the only hat that Akubra currently makes with the Superfine quality (as opposed to Imperial and Heritage)?

Wore it out to the local markets and one guy asked to take my picture. I guess it's pretty unusual to see a short Asian man in a very tall cowboy hat, let alone in Australia!

376429067_878416430659927_8748946859231217986_n.jpg

dmsantam

New in Town
Bit the bullet and got myself an Akubra Sombrero after reading through this thread! Always loved a tall crown because it suits my large, roundish head. I asked to see all the size 59s so I could choose a cowhide band that had a bit of colour contrast.

Attempted to do a Gus crease, and was surprised by how thick and stiff this felt is, compared to my other open crown Akubras (Fed IV and Campdraft). I had assumed that the Superfine quality meant it would be softer. No complaints though; feels like it will last a very long time. Is this the only hat that Akubra currently makes with the Superfine quality (as opposed to Imperial and Heritage)?

Wore it out to the local markets and one guy asked to take my picture. I guess it's pretty unusual to see a short Asian man in a very tall cowboy hat, let alone in Australia!

View attachment 572219

Great job on the crease, it looks terrific.

The Akubra military slouch, and the squatter are also superfine felt. There may be others.

View attachment 572219

You did a great job shaping it. It looks good on you and pairs well with the rest of your outfit.

One Drop

One of the Regulars

View attachment 572219

Welcome to the club! Nice threads, you look great. The crease is really nice and suits the hat and the shape of your face.

GabGarde

New in Town
+1. Yes, it really looks great.
Welcome to the club! Nice threads, you look great. The crease is really nice and suits the hat and the shape of your face.
You did a great job shaping it. It looks good on you and pairs well with the rest of your outfit.
Great job on the crease, it looks terrific.

Thanks for the support, folks!

The Akubra military slouch, and the squatter are also superfine felt. There may be others.

Completely forgot about the slouch, and didn’t know the squatter was a Superfine. I’ve got a vintage “featherweight” Bushman that’s marked as Sueprfine, but I guess that’s a discussion for another thread.

jweaks

New in Town
I spotted this thread way back. Glad to see it isn't dormant. I got a 'brero several months back and have failed to settle in on a bash. I'm a pretty big dude (60 long oval) but the ol'sombrero just looks huge on me.

If I could decide, I would put it in rotation. I may end up going Les Hiddens on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff