Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Stylemaster

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Atticus Finch said:
Don't Campdrafts come with an open crown? I've been thinking of buying one to bash as a fedora. Trouble is, I've never bashed a hat and I'm not sure how difficult the task would be. Is it something a novice should even attempt?

AF

Yes, they do and I just bashed my own. Not hard at all and, as you can see, I'm new in town. In fact I just recently fell off the turnip truck. A great place to start is the Diamond Authority thread, or the thin ribbon thread. Maybe there is an open road thread also, I don't remember for sure. These threads have lots of pictures of hats and you can find a crease you like and go for it. I dry bashed first, but ended up spritzing with a little water in a spray bottle. Bash to your preference and allow to dry naturally. Re-bash if you want to change it. :)

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
AF, diamonds are very easy to bash. Just find yourself something square around the house to start with, bash your hat then add finishing touches to your liking by hand. My wife has a cracker tin that was passed to her from her grandmother that is perfect for the job. You may even have one of the same kind at your house.

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Will Morgan said:
Lame??!!

http://www.davidmorgan.com/bashinghat.html

When y'all go through that hat in hand please let me know how we could improve it.

I suspect you really might appreciate a video better... hrm...

:)
Hey Will...a video would probably help...just to show how easy it really is to bash a hat....and while I'm at it...maybe a gallery of happy DM hat owners...I know I'm one...my Bushman was my everyday hat...until I got a Camp Draft to switch back and forth with.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Chuck Bobuck said:
Yes, they do and I just bashed my own. Not hard at all and, as you can see, I'm new in town. In fact I just recently fell off the turnip truck. Bash to your preference and allow to dry naturally. Re-bash if you want to change it. :)

I love honesty in a Lounger. If you were a Queenslander you would be coming in on a banana boat!

Spats McGee

One Too Many
Spats McGee said:
. . . . On a slightly different note, & just in case anyone's interested, I just realized that there are apparently two different qualities of Stylemaster: Imperial and Superfine. The Imperial comes in more colors and is very slightly more expensive. I'm not sure about any other differences.

I have emailed a store that carries both qualities and will report back when I found out exactly what the differences are.
I got a response from Yates Menswear, which carries the Stylemaster in both Imperial and Superfine. As promised, here it is:
Yates Menswear said:
The difference between Imperial & Superfine is the feel of the felt. The Superfine has a much softer feel to it. In regards to purchasing, The Imperial is in stock at the warehouse in most sizes in the Grey & Fawn. The Superfine is a 'made to order' hat and would be available for delivery in December if ordered this week.

panama jack

One of the Regulars
Spats McGee said:
I got a response from Yates Menswear, which carries the Stylemaster in both Imperial and Superfine. As promised, here it is:

This seems to contradict what I have read on other sites that sell this hat. Also, wondering why Yates sells the superfine for less than the Imperial if the superfine is a better quality.

Just wondering.

Spats McGee

One Too Many
I wonderered the same thing. My first thought was that she just must have the two mixed up. I'll send her an email and report back.

panama jack

One of the Regulars
This will be my first felt hat and want to make sure I buy the better of the two. What is upsetting to me is the three month wait.

Will Morgan

Vendor
Thanks Indycop for the diamond bash suggestion, we'll see about adding that to the bash page, hopefully without needing to steal Bob's Wife's cracker tin.

Colby Jack we'll get some bashing videos snippets out on the web. We have a community page on our todo list to better show hats in situ.

Thanks very much. -w

Spats McGee

One Too Many
Spats McGee said:
I wonderered the same thing. My first thought was that she just must have the two mixed up. I'll send her an email and report back.
Well, I got a response from Yates Menswear. The person sending the email simply doesn't know why the Superfine is cheaper than the Imperial. Maybe you just have to pay for the convenience of avoiding the Akubra Wait?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo