Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Stylemaster

frussell

One Too Many
Thanks Fellas

Maybe I should re-phrase my question. I've seen the ad for the old Stylemasters, so I'm aware it's been around a while. Is there another old Stetson or other brand that it resembles, just for reference? Thanks, Frank

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Yessiree Spats!
I really got to get myself one of those moonstone stylemasters - as soon as I stop fishing the Bay for vintage lids.

I......can't......stop........! Must.....not.....look....at.....e....Bay......!

frussell

One Too Many
Thanks for the photos

Mr. Tutt - I share your pain about eBay, but I rarely find anything vintage in a 7 3/4 long oval. I'm looking forward to the Stylemaster a great deal, and love my Camp Draft. Hatsdirect has been really great, and I only waited about 7 or 8 days for the CD. I appreciate all the input. Thanks, Frank

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Ephraim Tutt said:
Yessiree Spats!
I really got to get myself one of those moonstone stylemasters - as soon as I stop fishing the Bay for vintage lids.

I would never settle for a Stylemaster. However I do desire one.....

... IN EVERY COLOR :D

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Ephraim Tutt said:
Yessiree Spats!

You just need to find some obscure holiday or reason to celebrate to use as your "excuse"...then create a wikipedia page to prove you truly had a legitimate reason...

C.M. Albrecht

New in Town
New Akubra

Recently I bought an Akubra Stylemaster hat from Everything Australian. Couldn't be happier. The box was solid, I received my hat very quickly...and best of all, the price was right. It looks good, feels good, and is reminiscent of the hats Philip Marlowe and Sam Spade wore in the good old days. :eusa_clap

C.M. Albrecht

New in Town
I received my hat in very short order. I think it has a lot to do with how long the thing sits in customs over which not even God has any control.
I had a worse experience. I ordered a panama from Ecuador and in customs they cut the box open to inspect it, and in doing so, slashed the top of the hat. No apologies, no nothing. I won't mention the hat company but they said to send it back and they'd replace it. I paid to send it back and they charged my credit card for postage back and the second hat was ridiculously large. They offered to replace it too, but I figured I already had too much money into the deal. I gave the hat to the Goodwill and good riddance. Despite my complaints, they continue to send me enticing offers as if I was a really good customer.

C.M. Albrecht

New in Town
I love the stylemaster I recently received. Looks like overall good quality and the service, etc. was very good from Everything Australian. I'd post a photo, but haven't had any luck doing that. I'm better at wearing hats than doing technical stuff. Hey, I can't even use my cell phone. I only carry it around so my wife can keep tabs on me.

DrRJE

New in Town
Stylemaster without the flip back?

I have a few akubra stylemasters, and I love them...but I really want one the stays flat in the back, or angles slightly down even.

Any suggestions?

thanks!!!

javadave61

Practically Family
I have a few akubra stylemasters, and I love them...but I really want one the stays flat in the back, or angles slightly down even.

Any suggestions?

thanks!!!

You're almost describing a safari hat. The Akubra Safari might be an option. Slightly wider brim though.
At Everything Austrailian

Akubra_Safari-700x700.jpg

DrRJE

New in Town
I dont think I want to go any bigger on the brim...and definitely no holes in the side...I do like that hat though ;)

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You can always flip the brim down in the back. My Fed IVs out of the box were fairly flat and they could be easily flipped down as well.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Funny coincidence. I was just browsing ebay and there is well worn, not too pretty tan coloured 1950's Akubra Stylemaster listed.[huh]

Yes, it's an old style but in name only. Today's Stylemaster is an inadequate hat by comparison. With its tapered crown and prestamped generic shape I personally don't think they have much character and they would benefit from going back to their origins. Up until 30 years ago they came unstamped with a squarer, nicer crown. I think the Campdraft is a nicer style today but I'm no fan of today's Akubra fedora styles.

DrRJE

New in Town
You can always flip the brim down in the back. My Fed IVs out of the box were fairly flat and they could be easily flipped down as well.

you really cant flip the stylemaster down in the back with the bound brim...looks awful. I've tried flattening it, but it just loves to flip up.

looks like the bogart might not flip up as much?

I like the Fed, but I'm afraid to bash it myself...I love the stylemaster bash and it looks like you need some tools to get it that perfect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ