Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Sydney: A Review

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
christys

the akubras get a high grade for durability. if you are leaning towards the christys and don't want too much taper, just go with the adventurer model and have it cut to your dimensions, it seems to have the least taper of the other fedora models they offer.

I am looking over akubra models currently...but at the same time, I feel like it's a better investment to just go custom and call it a day.

EggHead

Practically Family
Hi Carl, a 2" brim is available in Christy's hats, that is why it caught my attention. 2.25" is fine with me too. I would use this hat commuting to work on a bus/train and walking around downtown and I think it would look unassuming at 2.0 - 2.25". While I do like Banjo P. it may "crowd" the bus a little :)

I looked at Stylemaster and other shorter brim hats in Akubra (I like the quality of Akubra), but I find the shapes of crowns a little "strange". I want the classical style shape, like in my avatar.

-egg

Duper

Practically Family
Does anyone have a Fern Green Akubra Fedora picture they can post? Is it the same colour as the Bluegrass green CD? Any other thoughts on the Akubra version of the Sydney? Recent purchases?

elvisroe

A-List Customer
I've seen one of those green fedoras and I felt it was more of an "army green" that the bluegrass CD. Nice hat. If it hadn't been made for a pinhead (56) I might have bought it ;)

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Does anyone have a Fern Green Akubra Fedora picture they can post? Is it the same colour as the Bluegrass green CD? Any other thoughts on the Akubra version of the Sydney? Recent purchases?

First, the "Sydney" is the name DM gives the "Fedora" model that is sold thru OZ retailers. He only offers it in two colors, Regency Fawn ( a nice mid-brown) and Charcoal ( a dark grey/black color). The Fedora as listed by the factory does come in the Fern Green, but from what I have seen on the OZ retailers sites, none list this color as stocked so you might have to have them order it for you which then gets into the "OZ wait" when you order. Hats Direct shows the Fern Green in the CEO model though they don't list the color in the Fedora. It is a lighter Khaki/Tan Green than the Bluegrass Green or the Willow Green that the Stylemaster comes in ( which is the same hat as the Sydney/Fedora only it comes precreased in a Teardrop crease and has a bound brim.) which is a nice even Green. ( John Helmer in Portland stocks it, though not at OZ prices) .

Duper

Practically Family
Thanks elvisroe and mb. I had a look at the Hats Direct site for the CEO in the fern shade. I have popped an email off to Sam at EA to enquire about the turn around time. I am partial to the open crown but the Stylemaster was a great second choice. I read somewhere in another thread about how the felt is very soft on this hat. That I also find tempting. I do drop into John Helmer's site to browse from time to time as well.

If anyone had a noggin shot with a fern green I would still love to see it.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Thanks elvisroe and mb. I had a look at the Hats Direct site for the CEO in the fern shade. I have popped an email off to Sam at EA to enquire about the turn around time. I am partial to the open crown but the Stylemaster was a great second choice. I read somewhere in another thread about how the felt is very soft on this hat. That I also find tempting. I do drop into John Helmer's site to browse from time to time as well.

If anyone had a noggin shot with a fern green I would still love to see it.

I have the Sydney in Charcoal Grey ( it is a true charcoal color, very dark) from DM, as well as a Willow Green Stylemaster coming from John Helmer and have to say that the felt in the Stylemaster is EXACTLY the same as in the Sydney as well as the blocking and flanging and brim size . In fact I'm wearing my Mid-Brown Stylemaster today and as comfortable as this one is, the Sydney is basically the same. HatsDirect sells the Squatter in the Willow Green and shows it on their site if you want to see this green. It's a truer, darker Green I feel and I like it better. If you call John Helmer, ask for Luoise, she is a GREAT person to deal with :)

Last edited:

Duper

Practically Family
Hi ya MB, I have the Campdraft in bluegrass green and I get more compliments on that hat then any other I own. Come to think of it, I think that is the only hat I own that gets compliments. My idea was to go for another shade of green so if the Fedora is lighter shade that would be a good thing. I would hope folks would note I was wearing something different as well. Having the narrower brim would also contrast my 2 7/8s CDs I wear frequently. Again the open crown attracts my attention. Most of my hats including the CDs and Feds which arrived open crown got formed into a teardrop and I was thinking of going more of a center dent with the Fedora.

When you say your Stylemaster and your Sydney are the same felt quality, I am wondering if the OZ Fedora might be different from the the DM Sydney. I recall reading that the DM Squatter and the OZ Squatter used different felts. Not saying one is better than the other, just different.

Appreciate youir input!

,,,Mike

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I've seen and handled my Aussie friends Squatter and I did not notice any difference in the felt between the two, just difference in crown hght. and brim and his was not lined. Felt wise, I'd have to say they were the same. His Squatter was about 10 years old and really looked better with the age than mine :)

elvisroe

A-List Customer
The green Fedora that I handled at the "The Rocks Hatters" in Sydney (terrible store aimed at tourists looking for something of a Crocodile Dundee nature) was the softest rabbit felt hat I have ever handled. I suspect it had been in the store for quite some time and this may have contributed to it's supple nature but man, was it nice! As it was too small I took my quest up the road to "Strand Hatters" and found that the black fedora they had in stock was not nearly as soft. Not sure why?!

I recently handled the latest incarnation of the squatter at "the Hattery" in Katoomba and found it to be quite stiff by comparison. I have a very old squatter featherweight that is nice and floppy so I imagine they will loosen up quite quickly.

The closest comparison in felt to the mystical green Fedora that still haunts me is the Akubra Casual that I am wearing in my avatar. It's extremely comfortable and the cloth sweatband is much better in the heat than the leather. I hate the tan version they produce of the Casual but would love to see a green one!

DUPER I'd say from what I've seen of your tastes over the years that the Green Fedora would be a worthwhile purchase - who knows, you might get one made from a super-soft bunny!

cr

Duper

Practically Family
I own a grey Casual as well and I would also take a green one or even a very light tan with a contrasting ribbon if it was offered. It is a nice soft thin felt. We will see what Sam at EA says. He usually responds very promptly. Thanks for the info and by the way elvisroe I am very envious that you have been able to walk into a proper hat shop that carries many Akubra models and look around and try things on.

mb, if I could get a Squatter with a narrower brim I would be very happy.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I own a grey Casual as well and I would also take a green one or even a very light tan with a contrasting ribbon if it was offered. It is a nice soft thin felt. We will see what Sam at EA says. He usually responds very promptly. Thanks for the info and by the way elvisroe I am very envious that you have been able to walk into a proper hat shop that carries many Akubra models and look around and try things on.

mb, if I could get a Squatter with a narrower brim I would be very happy.

You can. Just order a custom made one from one of the many custom hatters here in the US, that way you don't have to just get what the factory produces :)

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Akubra Sydney

Good afternoon Gents! Hope everyone's enjoying their day so far...Wonder if some of you guys can help me out here...I'm giving some serious consideration to buying an Akubra Sydney...I was also thinking along the lines of buying a Campdraft but I already have a few Open Road style hats...anyway, I've already seen pictures of the Sydney on some other sites like David Morgan and Wrangler Outpost...I need to see the hat on someone's head to get a better idea of how it actually looks being worn...Does anyone here have pics of themselves wearing the Sydney, and what are your thoughts on the hat? I know the Sydney is more of a city hat which sports a 5 1/2 inch crown and a brim width of 2 1/2 inches. Thanks guys

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It looks a nice hat - pretty much identical to the Australian market 'Fedora' I think (although does it have the wind cord?). Are you not tempted by the Fed IV?

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
It looks a nice hat - pretty much identical to the Australian market 'Fedora' I think (although does it have the wind cord?). Are you not tempted by the Fed IV?
Oh yeah, the Fed IV seems to be an awesome hat. I'd love to have one! But the shipping cost from Australia to the U.S. drives up the price a bit higher. For nearly the same money (just a little more which includes shipping), I can get a custom made Indy hat from Garrison Hatters....Dave Garrison, like John Penman, did some training under Steve Delk of Adventurebilt...Garrison's probably one of the best deals out there for a custom made Indy. http://garrisonhatters.com/garrison_hatters_update_002.htm

The Sydney is also sold here in the U.S. as well, so the shipping cost won't be so high to drive up the cost...Those Aussies always keep the good stuff to themselves!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo