Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Sydney: A Review

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
One thing that's not been mentioned here is the Sydney/Fedora's sweat band.

Although the hat is Imperial Quality, the sweat is the same as those in Akubra's Heritage Collection, the premium quality sweatband that is a thicker, wider, softer, and so even better than the superb standard Akubra reeded roan leather sweat.

I never noticed this until I got my new Federation IV Deluxe recently and discovered that the sweats are virtually identical.

I have never seen this feature mentioned in any Akubra or any of its vendors' marketing material, and I cannot imagine why not. It is definitely a favorable attribute consumers would want to know and would probably increase sales.

Perhaps the reason the Sydney has this softer sweat is to make it compatible with its softer special felt. Does anyone here have a Hampton or any other Akubra constructed of this softer and thinner variant of its Imperial Quality, and do those hats also have the premium sweat?

The presence of this sweat may account for the slightly higher price point the Syndey occupies over other Imperial Quality Akubras, or maybe it's the felt itself, or a combination of both.

Also, while waiting for the Fed to arrive, I started practicing the intended bash on my Sydney and made a very sharp vertical crease at the front mast. I pinched it so hard that the felt in that spot is now a bit crushed and somewhat shiny. Oops! (Let that be a warning: Do not press in hard on this soft type of Akubra felt.)

I tried brushing it out and then a couple of wet-dry-brush cycles, but it has still not gone completely away. Any ideas on how to lift the loft back up to normal?

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Good info on the Sydney/Fedora AlterEgo. The only suggestion that comes to mind is to make sure you're brushing counter-clockwise.
Welcome to the Lounge.

Picker

One of the Regulars
Akubra Sydney/Fedora

I got mine from hatsdirect.com about a year ago. It has become my favorite hat, and I've had them all: Federations, a Campdraft, Banjo Paterson, and two modern Borsalinos. I think every person has to find what suits him the best regarding head structure and facial features.... I especially like the softness of the Fedora's felt and the premium sweatband. The hat is soft and pliable, yet it retains its integrity well. Mine is charcoal gray, and I just ordered the burnt acorn from The Hattery.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Does Anyone own the Akubra Sydney/Fedora???

Before my Akubra Federation IV, I'd never worn a hat before...
...after three-and-a-half weeks of wearing it, I can safely say that I'm hooked. I'd like to buy another hat, something different than the Fed IV, and I'd like it in a grey/dark grey color. I'm not sure how I look in a tapered crown, but this is me in the fed:

awesomealex.jpg

I was looking at the Campdraft, but I decided that for now, while I'm still in college/urban territory/city environment, I'd like to stick with something a slight bit more conservative (although a fedora these days isn't exactly low profile :D :eek: ).

There are several threads on the Sydney already, but they range from anywhere to one-and-a-half to three years ago, and I'm not exactly hopeful about getting answers to such a necropost.

Anyway, I'm curious about several hats, namely the Stylemast, Bogart, and Fedora. As the Fedora is open crown, it's naturally on the top of that short list. So I'd like to ask current or former owners of any of these hats, but especially the Fedora, about their thoughts and opinions of the hat. Pros and Cons? Opinions? Issues arising from long term usage? Does it look good?

Any and all contributions to this thread will be met with the utmost gratitude, and I'd like to give thanks beforehand to all, if any, that give a little time and effort to help guide this "Neophyte of Hats". :D

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Fedora & Stylemaster owner here.

My Fedora is dark brown. Nice hat, medium weight felt, soft, almost floppy. Conservative in look, but not too conservative. Crown is average height, and tapered, but not excessively so (it even looks good on my big full face - most tapers only accentuate it). Brim is about 2 1/2-2 5/8". Mine's got a trolley cord. Great with semidress, sportcoats, leather jackets (it is not at all "Indy"), or a "semi" vintage look.

My Stylemaster is moonstone grey with matching brim binding and a black band. This is a stiffer and, I think, a little coarser grade of fur felt. The C crown has a molded look and won't really bash (altho I've never wet it down). The dimensions are a little more "circa 1950" than the Fedora, the crown perhaps a fraction of an inch higher, but there is still taper (not an overwhelming amount). At its best with a coat/tie look, but could work with casual clothes in the black/grey family, jeans, cycle boots, etc.

Spats McGee

One Too Many
There are two threads you should seek out: (1) Akubra Overload; and (2) Nogginshots of Stylemasters (or something like that). There are a few Stylemaster owners around here. I'm not sure about the Fedora, but I seem to recall that someone owns a Bogart. Unfortunately, I can't remember who. I have owned 2 Stylemasters, but have sold one. It's not nearly as large a hat as the CD, has moderate taper to the crown, and a much smaller, bound brim. It's a nice dress hat. I'm very fond of mine and wear it to (but never in) court, with a suit just about every time I go. It is also suitable for more casual wear, such as with jeans, maybe out clubbing.

Edit: Pics of Stylemasters on noggins: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=44017&highlight=noggins

Neophyte

Thanks Spats. You've been a great help on nearly every thread I've either started or participated in.......I appreciate it.

I don't know about the Stylemaster...it looks kinda round on peoples' hats. With my angular, squarish face, I seem to look good in sharper, more pointed pinches, like the ones you find on diamond bashes. Of course, I've only been wearing hats for 3-1/2 weeks and my only hat is the Fed IV, so I may not know what I'm talking about.

...anyway, I plan to wear these hats casually: jeans, cargo shorts and pants, and a majority of polos or button up shirts (most by Eddie Bauer). If I've to dress up, then I'll use the Fed (I've already a green/brown jacket, khaki slacks, brown belt, brown shoes........well, you get the picture. Let's just say that my Fed IV works with my dress clothes, and for the casual college campus attire........well, that's what this thread is for. If I ever get a different combo for my dress attire, than I'll look into the Stylemaster...

Thank you guys. These threads are like a school (well...you know, at least they're like that one class that REALLY interests you). I'll look into that NogginTops thread right away. :)

elvisroe

A-List Customer
Fletch said:
Fedora & Stylemaster owner here.

the crown perhaps a fraction of an inch higher, but there is still taper (not an overwhelming amount).

That's interesting. I own an old stylemaster and find the crown a tad low and was hoping to get a bit more height out of the Fedora I've added to my xmas list. I think I'l have to make a trip to the Hattery to take a look!

I agree that the fedora's I've seen are very soft. Nice lid

Neophyte

I have read that it is imperial quality fur, but that, for the Fedora model specifically, Akubra is more choosey with the fur it uses. Not sure why...but that seems to be the general consensus.

Of the Bogart, Fedora, and Stylemaster, the Fedora seems to meet my needs...namely, an open crown....

I've heard that the softness and floppiness of the Fedora seems to make it more difficult to hold a bash. Is this true? Does this occur even after wetting or steaming?

James71

A-List Customer
I have a bogart in Black. Its my most comfortable hat and I often just wear it around the house to keep my head warm. (no vents so its a very warm hat.

It has worn in to be much softer and more comfortable than the CEO I wear most days.

Im a musician and the bogart is my gigging hat. It makes me feel musical. Its a bit more dressy and formal than the CEO.

Im seriously considering one in grey....

Neophyte

I'm much liking the Bogart, just not sure how that hat shape would look on me (I'm accustomed to a diamond/teardrop thing, somewhat tight front pinch). That's why I'm attracted by the Fedora's open crown. Also, due to my tall freakin' head, Most hats don't fit comfortably unless they have a dome...but I really like the Bogart's looks nonetheless...especially in the carbon grey color.

Tone

A-List Customer
The Stylemaster is a good, safe hat. The crown is at least in proportion with a fairly narrow brim. Good hat that isn't a ballcap. Crown isn't ginormous on a brim that small. Doesn't say much, doesn't call much attention. But looks good as a generally safe fedora just this side of a stingy. For modern college environment, it's similar to the modern stingy types out there. At least you're not trying to smash down a tall crown to fit the brim specs in this case. Won't be much room after a rain, but overall it has a generic blend that doesn't call much attention to itself. It's a good, safe, generalized hat for breaking into wearing in public. Low on flare and stare. Enjoy!

Neophyte

I somehow think that it's called a Stylemaster for a reason (just joking, your assessment seems accurate).

Do you really consider it a small brim? 2.5 inches all around seems awfully similar to the Fed IV (you know......forgetting the dimensional brim part). Most stingy's I've seen around college, mostly staw, were of the 1.5'' variety.

So I guess what your trying to say is that it's dressy, but can work with a casual outfit......and it has a low profile, both horizontally and vertically? Maybe I'll put it back on my list.

ValEag

One of the Regulars
Neophyte said:
Anyway, I'm curious about several hats, namely the Stylemast, Bogart, and Fedora. As the Fedora is open crown, it's naturally on the top of that short list. So I'd like to ask current or former owners of any of these hats, but especially the Fedora, about their thoughts and opinions of the hat. Pros and Cons? Opinions? Issues arising from long term usage? Does it look good?

I have a black Bogart. It's stiffer than my Fedoras, and I wear it mainly with a black suit or sport coat. It seems more formal to me, but that may be just the way it looks on my noggin. Not an everyday hat for me.

I have two Fedoras - one grey and one brown. The grey is no doubt my favorite and gets worn a lot. It was easy to get the bash in that I like, just a plain center dent, and has held it well. Also holds up well in rain and snow. The brown one - same hat alright but seems like it isn't. I've never really got it to look the way I want, and if the crease is right the brim doesn't want to cooperate. I think part of this is the dark color - it is harder to see the highlights on the hat in the crease and dents, and I've never really been satisfied with it. I've taken the liner out of this one, and it gets more use as an all around outdoor hat now. I've had the grey one for about a year and a half now, it has held up well.

Stylemaster - have one in Acorn. While my grey Fedora is my favorite and seems to go with just about anything from suits to jeans, I like the way the Stylemaster fits and looks most of all. I'll no doubt end up with a grey one in the future.

If the open crown is what you are after, you'll be pleased with the Fedora. I get more nice comments on the Fedora than any other hat, but still get plenty on the Stylemaster too.

Neophyte

I've seen this pic somewhere before......and that hat looks just as good on you as it did then...

Thank you...that is some great information, especially on the Fedoras...thanks for the contribution.

Tone

A-List Customer
Neophyte said:
I somehow think that it's called a Stylemaster for a reason (just joking, your assessment seems accurate).

Do you really consider it a small brim? 2.5 inches all around seems awfully similar to the Fed IV (you know......forgetting the dimensional brim part). Most stingy's I've seen around college, mostly staw, were of the 1.5'' variety.

So I guess what your trying to say is that it's dressy, but can work with a casual outfit......and it has a low profile, both horizontally and vertically? Maybe I'll put it back on my list.

I'm saying that brim works with the Stylemaster whereas the FED IV, well, you've seen how you chose to style it. The Stylemaster's crown actually works with those brim specs; it's just a very plain jane hat is all. But at least it isn't cartooney in that sense and I think that's what you're kind of wanting for the current scene.

There, Blackthorn's got a shot of the hat tilted backward and underneath the brim - just like most FED IV shots.)

I'm saying you'll most likely be happy with the Stylemaster's specs. They're general enough, but at least that brim works with the Stylemaster's crown. You'll probably be able to look at the hat straight-on without trying to hide some aspect of it to convince yourself it looks good. ;) And it definitely goes with more stuff to wear. :)

Mario, a member here, has some great "city cool" fedoras that include both brim and style. Check those out, too. GREAT BALANCE and they're hip enough to be anywhere. Ultimately, that's probably what you're looking for.

Neophyte

I'm less concerned with hip. I tend to be very independent, regardless of whether the decisions I make because of that fact are detrimental to me or not. I don't look good in stingy brims (1.5" or less), and I don't think I look good witout extra clothing in wider brims (~3").

I see what you mean, now. The Stylemaster seems to be an old style, "plain jane" as you say.

I think the way to solve this issue is to buy the Akubra Capricorn alongside whatever other hat I buy. Supposedly, it's very close to the Stylemaster in dimensions and shape...and it costs less. Then, if I like it, I'll buy the Stylemaster.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo