Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Sydney: A Review

NonEntity

Suspended
Though I'm brand new here at the lounge, I have been wearing hats, caps, and all kinds of headgear since I was a little kid. So, in my 49 years in combination with, God rest their souls, my dad and grandad's hat knowledge, I 've learned a good bit about the subject at hand. But I'm here as much to learn from you as I am to share what I already know.

So, for my first post, I thought I'd do a review of the Akubra Sydney. If you're looking for a moderately dressy fedora, I highly recommend it. I got one as my Christmas gift to myself and could not be more pleased.

Otherwise similar to the Akubra Imperial Quality (like the Snowy River, Bushman, Squatter, Angler, Coober Pedy), the felt is made from a special selection of finer fur unique to this fedora that makes for an especially soft, lighter weight hat and is extremely comfortable from the first time you put it on. It's fully lined, with a 1-inch grosgrain band, a reeded roan leather sweatband, and comes in charcoal (black) and regency fawn (close to brown).

A true fedora, the Sydney has a 5 1/2-inch open crown, and a 2 1/2-inch brim which snaps smartly down in front, curled up in back. Everyone has their own bash preference, but I put a basic center crease in the crown, only angled it slightly down towards the front, then made intermediate-size side dents below so that there's a relatively narrow but nothing close to a creased mast down the front middle.

It's always difficult to assess what a hat will look like on until you try it and bash according to your preferences and the possibilities inherent in the hat itself, but, for me, many fedoras--particularly the "Indiana Jones" type--have a crown that is much too high and voluminous, giving me, as Dad use to say, a "Heighty MacDeighty" appearance, awkwardy topheavy on my small (7 1/8) head atop a slender, 6'2" frame. Don't be misled by the 5 1/2-inch, when punched open, crown, for after bashed, it's relatively low.

The way I stabilize the bash/dents is to simply wear the hat in a light rain, reshape if needed, then hang it on a broad, blunt, angled-up wooden hangar in the bathroom--where it will dry slowly--careful to let nothing but the blunt end of the hanger touch only the back of the headband so that the hat dangles free and the brim does not touch the wall. The weather cooperated perfectly when I braved the crowds to venture out for exchanges the day after Christmas. Since there was no one else home to use the toilet, you could say the bathroom cooperated, too. Wet felt, you know, takes up surrounding odors, and that's a bunch of crap.

However, the felt in the Sydney is so soft that it does not hold the bash/dents like most other modern fedoras. That is just fine with me, for my dad's and grandad's traditional fedoras from the good ol' days are similarly very pliable. Like them, however, the brim of the Sydney remains quite rigid and snappy, even after I got caught in a driving rain storm on a long walk a couple days later.

It would be easy to chalk up my evaluation as being in that still-in-the-golly-gee-whizz-I-got-me-a-new-hat phase, but I can honestly say that, of all the many hats I have and have had, it is already one of my all-time favorites.

I am a very selective purchaser and closely looked for several months at fedoras in the same general price range as this Akubra--most Stetsons, Dobbs, the "Dressed-up Indy"--to name a few, and there is absolutley no comparison at this price point of $100 - $175 . Stepping up the price rung to the $175 - $250 step, I found a top-of-its-line Biltmore Rosellini Luauro and the Chrysty's Trilby to approach, but not equal, the quality of the Akubra Sydney.

Climbing into nosebleed prices, I even cross-shopped Milanos and Borsalinos, and found only their best, most expensive fedoras--$300 and up, way up--to be truly fine hats. Even then, after I closely inspected several of the same model, I would find an occasional small defect. Quality? Sure, if you get a good one, which is a crap shoot if you buy catalogue or online.

I've yet to find an Akubra with even the tiniest defect, and they fit my head true to size, though they run large on some people, so watch out for return policies and the cost of shipping it back. I got my Sydney from David Morgan for $116 plus $7.00 UPS ground shipping. No matter how much or little you buy in one shipment from them, it's always $7.00 S & H. I really like that because the "handling" portion for so many vendors is just another form of markup. Their customer service is outstanding, as well.

I got the gray, six pleet puggaree, just $5.00, shown on the Sydney on DM's website, but when I wrapped it around the ribbon for a trial look-see, it dressed the hat down a couple notches, so, so far, I have not affixed it, but I'd like to put it on to make it more versatile for the occasional casual look, yet still remove it for the dressier look with the black 1-inch grosgrain ribbon intact. Does anyone know how to put the puggaree hooks through the felt somehow underneath the ribbon so that it need not be punctured and the hook holes are hidden when the pug is removed?

I got a five-pack of feathers from DM, too, only $4.00. You don't have a choice of style or color, but there was one in the mix with a combination of cobalt blue, crimson, and jet black that is an ideal contrast against a charcoal Sydney.

Akubra has always been known as a rugged, outdoors kind of hat, with the Bushman and Squatter, maybe the Lightning Ridge and Banjo Patterson acceptable as town hats. But the Sydney is a true city fedora, with a style ranging from, on the dressy side, en route to a board meeting in your midnight blue suit with white point collar French cuff shirt, burgundy foulard tie, and captoe shoes, to, on the less dressy end, a classy pub, cigar in one hand, cognac in the other, wearing your Harris tweed jacket, black turtleneck sweater, gray flannel trousers, and cordovan loafers.

Don't forget to slip the Browning Hi-Power in the small of your back; you never know what a jealous fool might try when you walk out with the most beautiful gal in there.

Glad to take a seat in the Fedora Lounge. Think I'm going to like this place.

Mustang

One of the Regulars
Wow! That's a heck of an introduction...and timely too! I'm planning on getting a Sydney soon. Thanks...and welcome!

K

Kaosharper1

What color?

What color did you buy? If its the charcoal, how black was it?

I65Stang

New in Town
Kaosharper1 said:
What color did you buy? If its the charcoal, how black was it?

I have the charcoal and it is very dark. Most people would probably call it black but it is definitely not a "true" black.

Here is a pic although colors change depending on monitor:
http://home.comcast.net/~tcstang/hat4.jpg

This was from my first try at shaping it done dry (comes open crown) and you can see how soft the felt is.

Tim

NonEntity

Suspended
Sydney Color

It's definitely black, but not what I call jet-black, the darkest, ultra-black shade.

There's just a splash of very dark gray in it that makes the contours of the bash, dents, and brim show up quite nicely. And the color matches up well with a gray scarf, gray flannel trousers, and Harris tweed, but looks just as good with a dark navy blazer or suit.

I think Akubra's characterization, charcoal, is spot-on in describing the color.

Spellflower

Practically Family
Akubra Sydney = Akubra Fedora

Just thought I'd point this out for any newbies interested in this hat. David Morgan, a U.S. retailer sells this hat under the name "Sydney," and Hats Direct, an Australian company sells it under the name "Fedora". They are the same hat, and priced similarly (depending on the exchange rate), but color options may vary.

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
I couldn't agree more, NonEntity. I didn't shop around as much as you, but the Sydney/Fedora is a great hat. Nice dimensions for most people and very soft. It actually comes out of the box feeling like a "broken-in" hat.

Roadrunner

One of the Regulars
Akubra Sydney with pics!

A few days ago I posted asking for help finding a fedora and ended up deciding on the Sydney after carldelo pointed out a great deal (thanks again man!). I wanted a brown one, but charcoal was all that was available and at that price I took a chance. It got here already and it's perfect! Seriously, this hat has just about the perfect proportions for my head. I've never thought I could pull of a fedora before but this one looks right. It doesn't want to take a bash dry, which doesn't seem to be unusual for this model, so I spritzed it with a squirt bottle and went to work. It's sort of a C-crown/Indy bash with a tight pinch up front. The C-crown is by necessity because my massive cranium pops the center up. Enough gabbing, here are the pics.

Sydney pics

Tell me if the link doesn't work, this is my first attempt with flickr.

NonEntity

Suspended
I've had my charcoal Akubra Sydney for a couple months now, and it's still my favorite hat.

The felt in the crown is extraordinarily soft, which makes the hat extremely comfortable, but the down side is that it does not hold the bash. That's not really a problem for me, since I put a basic center bash in the top with a pair of moderate dents at the front. I've worn it in the rain several times, carefully re-shaped, and let it slowly dry, but it's still as soft as ever and barely holds the bash.

You've done a great job shaping yours with the telescope crown and a tight front pinch. I'm amazed that it's holding so well. Perhaps it's that the top of your head hits virtually all of the crown and keeps it in place, but still, maintaining such a tight front pinch puzzles me.

Maybe your Sydney is a bit stiffer than mine. Tell us, where did you get it and how much did you pay, including S & H?

Roadrunner

One of the Regulars
Nonentity, I got it at noggintops for about $86 shipped with the $20 discount. It's not very stiff, but even though it's dry now the pinch seems to be holding. [huh] Hopefully it sticks, I like it.

Spellflower

Practically Family
:eusa_clap Looks great! It took me a few more attempts to get my Fedora the way I wanted it, but you seem to have nailed it right off the bat.

K

Kaosharper1

Noggintops Discount?

Roadrunner said:
Nonentity, I got it at noggintops for about $86 shipped with the $20 discount. It's not very stiff, but even though it's dry now the pinch seems to be holding. [huh] Hopefully it sticks, I like it.

How'd you get the $20 discount?

K

Kaosharper1

Thanks!

Roadrunner said:
Type in "SWEET20" in the discounts box at checkout. It expires today though.

Picked one up for myself. At that price, I couldn't resist. I needed a soft hat anyway. I think the Fed and Adventurer won't work as well once the Spring arrives. Again, thanks for the price tip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo