Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Value is Soaring Right Now

Rhabryn

Familiar Face
Custom Brim Binding & Ribbon

I recently ordered a 63 Akubra Stylemaster in Moonstone Grey. Because of my head size and the color ordered (each would have forced it into special order), Sam Menche of everythingaustralian.com.au had to special order the hat.

Having looked at pictures of the moonstone grey stylemasters, I began wondering if, since the factory was making it during the time they do special orders, if it would be possible to have the hat done with a darker ribbon and brim binding.

Figuring that it would not be practicable, I went ahead and asked Mr. Menche if it could be done with a Black brim binding and ribbon (on the Moonstone Grey hat).

I recieved his response today, that having the had done with black ribbon and binding was "No problem at all." (It might become a problem of lots of people start asking, but I'm just reporting the news. While Mr. Menche didn't increase the price I would have to pay, it might be a curteousy - and he might have to charge if the demand for the custom ribbon/brim gets high).

I also asked him whether they could get an Akubra Bogart in 63 Carbon Grey (he said they could).

I want to tell you guys that Mr. Menche has been extremely helpful and attentive to my correspondence over the past 2 weeks, and their store appears to be able to get ahold of most akubra products (They can't get the the Fed, but they can get the Adventurer up to size 61).

Though I've yet to recieve the hat, I am extremely pleased with their customer service! Can't wait for the hat!

Cheers,
Rhab

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've dealt with Everything Australian on three occasions now, ordering Stylemasters and a Campdraft, and Sam has always been very helpful. I'm currently awaiting the arrival of a mid-brown Stylemaster with a custom black ribbon. I previously ordered a mid-grey Stylemaster with a black ribbon, and it looks great and is worn at least twice a week, if not more.

Their prices, from what I can determine, are a good AU$10-$20 cheaper than elsewhere, and I can't speak highly enough of their service.

MattJH

One Too Many
Rhabryn said:
I recently ordered a 63 Akubra Stylemaster in Moonstone Grey.

Solid choice. If any of you wear a 61cm / 7 5/8 hat and would like one that was never worn and you want it immediately, I have one listed in the Classifieds.

airspirit

New in Town
Bah, I was content with my one wooley and one fur ... then saw this thread. After watching the AUD/USD slide to .64 I pulled the trigger on a stylemaster and a fed deluxe. My wife is going to have kittens, I'm sure. I'm absolutely terrified of the thought of creasing an open crown hat, so this should be an interesting experience, to say the least.

Other than the price, the descriptions given by you guys that these are really sturdy in the rain helped sell me too ... the Washington winter is finally upon us with rain every other day, and hardiness is a virtue.

One question, though: I absolutely LOVE the feather that came with my Stetson, and I think a similar feather would probably look smashing in the new (featherless) Akubras.

hatfeather.jpg

Does anyone know where you could find/order replacement feathers for Stetson hats or find a feather bunch that is similar to the above?

MattJH

One Too Many
airspirit said:
I'm absolutely terrified of the thought of creasing an open crown hat

Oh, don't be, especially if you're referring to the Federation. You can crease, re-crease, and re-re-crease all day and all night and you won't hurt the hat. You can't hurt Federations. I've read accounts of people softening their Federations by basically mashing and mangling the crown for a while before setting in an actual crease. Creases aren't permanent in felt like that. You have nothing to be terrified about.

univibe88

One Too Many
Dumbjaw said:
Oh, don't be, especially if you're referring to the Federation. You can crease, re-crease, and re-re-crease all day and all night and you won't hurt the hat. You can't hurt Federations. I've read accounts of people softening their Federations by basically mashing and mangling the crown for a while before setting in an actual crease. Creases aren't permanent in felt like that. You have nothing to be terrified about.

Exactly. I was nervous too when I first got my Campdraft. But I figured it out in no time flat.

warbird

One Too Many
univibe88 said:
Exactly. I was nervous too when I first got my Campdraft. But I figured it out in no time flat.

I just posted on another thread about softening up a fed. I take my fist and smash them over and over watching tv. Smash it straight down and then bash in the sides of the hat. In no time that hat is super soft. Just pop the crease out and smash away, the when done, put the crease back in it, it goes right back. If you do this a while before ever creasing, even better.

You cant kill a fed.

Daoud

One of the Regulars
airspirit said:
Bah, I was content with my one wooley and one fur ... then saw this thread. After watching the AUD/USD slide to .64 I pulled the trigger on a stylemaster and a fed deluxe. My wife is going to have kittens, I'm sure. I'm absolutely terrified of the thought of creasing an open crown hat, so this should be an interesting experience, to say the least.

Other than the price, the descriptions given by you guys that these are really sturdy in the rain helped sell me too ... the Washington winter is finally upon us with rain every other day, and hardiness is a virtue.

One question, though: I absolutely LOVE the feather that came with my Stetson, and I think a similar feather would probably look smashing in the new (featherless) Akubras.

hatfeather.jpg

Does anyone know where you could find/order replacement feathers for Stetson hats or find a feather bunch that is similar to the above?
Saw something about this in another thread recently- apparently craft stores such as Michael's carry assortments of small feathers in assorted colors, perfect for adding new ones to featherless hats or restoring old ones.

Feraud

Bartender
Hat shops should also carry an assortment of feathers ready to be tucked in your hatband. Arnold Hatters in NYC carries them for a quarter a piece.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
warbird said:
I just posted on another thread about softening up a fed. I take my fist and smash them over and over watching tv. Smash it straight down and then bash in the sides of the hat. In no time that hat is super soft. Just pop the crease out and smash away, the when done, put the crease back in it, it goes right back. If you do this a while before ever creasing, even better.

You cant kill a fed.

I backed up Warbird's statement on that other thread - I've done that too. Hasten to add it's been more successful on the Heritage felt than the Imperial, and the Heritage weighs in lighter by an ounce or a bit more for a comparable hat, but doesn't seem to be noticeably thinner - also the Heritage seems considerably more resistant to shrinkage per my (deliberate shrinking to fit) experience!

Akubra makes very tough hats that start out stiff, but you can make them soft. I don't want to wear them for a year or two before that happens.

- Bill

airspirit

New in Town
The ozbuck is down to $.63 today and is only slowly creeping up now ... I'm personally not anticipating it going down below $.62. I kind of wish I waited two days before placing my order, because it was at around $.655 when I charged in. Oh well ... in the end it's less than a couple fat pills at the local burger joint.

Daoud

One of the Regulars
Yates Menswear

Has anyone dealt with these folks before-http://www.yatesmenswear.com.au/ ? Their website offers the Bushman and I emailed them last night to ask if they had any in stock- haven't heard back from them yet. They seem to be set up for Internet business- they accept credit cards and PayPal, and have a good selection of Akubras- but I've never heard them mentioned here......?

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I haven't seen that one before, Daoud. but I tagged them for future reference. Thanks for the link. Will you let us know how their service is?

Daoud

One of the Regulars
BobC said:
I haven't seen that one before, Daoud. but I tagged them for future reference. Thanks for the link. Will you let us know how their service is?
So far, it's non-existent. Still haven't heard back from them. Lights are on but no-one's home apparently. Too bad- they've got some good stuff.

airspirit

New in Town
I wouldn't be too horribly hasty about getting emails back from them, since they are so far offset in time from us. I've been working with a New Zealand company on some military surplus and I tend to be able to get one email a day in response back since they are only around when I'm sleeping.

If it goes a couple of days, then that's something different, I guess. That said, it took two days for a response from both everythingaustralian.com.au and hatsdirect.com for me, so ....

Daoud

One of the Regulars
Well, I'm not being hasty, horribly or otherwise:) - and I am aware of the time difference. The thing is, when I emailed them it was- or should have been-business hours in Oz. Whatever the case, I don't think it's unrealistic to expect a timely response ( i.e. next business day) to one's communication from any reputable company. Hatsdirect have always been prompt returning my emails.....If someone has a lackadaisical attitude towards returning an email, I have to wonder how they'll respond to the task of filling an order and shipping it.

MCrider

A-List Customer
After watching and trying to decide on whether I needed another hat (stupid question I know :) ) and watching the currency battle with the Aussie dollar, I finally got off my butt and purchased a moonstone Federation IV. Figured my Fed III needed a traveling companion. Anyhoo, I'll post back with shipping times and final cost when it arrives... if I can stand the wait!:eek:

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Well, after watching this thread for a while, a little over a week ago I ordered my first Akubra: the Stylemaster, from Hats Direct. I just got the hat yesterday, and I'm impressed. Using just a bit of the foam strips, I've got it fitting perfectly, and the felt feels real nice for a hat of this price. I'll post pics later when I get to a camera...;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW