Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Value is Soaring Right Now

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
carter said:
So the old Australian Stetson Open Road is identical to the Campdraft.

With exceptions, right? As far as I know (which ain't much), all Akubras are rabbit (or hare, I don't remember), but hasn't the OR always been available in the US in varying felt compositions that (all?) include beaver?

warbird

One Too Many
I think yes you are right about that. At least many of the oldest vintage OR's including mine are at least partly beaver, maybe some even had nutria. I don't know their comp today it most likely is a composite, though it certainly is not as high a quality a fur as it used to be.

To me wild hare is as solid a fur as just about anything except solid beaver, it is certainly better quality than many other forms of rabbit in the rugged department and IMO better than modern rabbit/beaver combos with small amounts of beaver. In the feel department the campdraft feels much nicer, and becomes wonderfully soft with age, than the modern Stetson. However, it does not feel as plush as my old Stetson or Adam OR hats. Is this fur? Is it age? Is it time put into finish years ago? I don't really have an answer to that. Maybe a combo of several factors. Art has some theories on aging and dead fur, which intrigue me.

I think Carter's point was simply that Akubra made the Stetson OR to a certain quality back in the day and they continue to use that same quality of fur as when it had the OR name on it. So it is essentially the old hat. The same cannot be said of today's Stetson. But, are they the same as the oldest and finest OR's made. Likely not, but that is my guess.

My hope is that a good selling Nostalgia if it indeed turns out to be as nice as predicted it will be, perhaps Stetson could be persuaded to make a softer high quality felt, open crown OR again. One can always hope.

jec

One of the Regulars
Currency exchange rate still great for US buyers

Just ordered my Stylemaster from EverythingAustrailian. With shipping, the total cost was to less than $70 US. Amazing. It took a lot of restraint to order just one hat!

carter

I'll Lock Up
Lefty said:
With exceptions, right? As far as I know (which ain't much), all Akubras are rabbit (or hare, I don't remember), but hasn't the OR always been available in the US in varying felt compositions that (all?) include beaver?

I have US-made Open Roads in 3X, 4X, the Twenty-Five, and Clear Beaver Quality. Those are just the ones I can lay my hands on readily. Stetson probably made the Open Road in more felt compositions than these.

warbird said:
I think Carter's point was simply that Akubra made the Stetson OR to a certain quality back in the day and they continue to use that same quality of fur as when it had the OR name on it. So it is essentially the old hat. The same cannot be said of today's Stetson. But, are they the same as the oldest and finest OR's made. Likely not, but that is my guess.

Exactly. Thanks for clearing that up.

RedPop4

One Too Many
I checked Everything Australian last night and this morning. Prices on some of their benchmark country hats are UNREAL. I think I've talked MrsRedPop4 into not complaining when I buy TWO. The Cattleman, and a few others are down to $60.14 US, the Squatter is $58.80.

I think a Squatter in either the Fawn, or the "Nigeria Brown" whatever that is, will be one of the choices. As for the "country" hat, I'm just not sure yet. I like the Cattleman, Territory, Mexican, Coolabah, Banjo Patterson is down to $83 (too much to get two) and the Lawson is only $93 (see Banjo Patterson) but they're both great.

Boss of the Plains and Campdraft are both $60.14 right now as well.

I can't make up my mind. Anyway, thanks for letting me prattle on.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
RedPop4 said:
Boss of the Plains and Campdraft are both $60.14 right now as well.

I can't make up my mind. Anyway, thanks for letting me prattle on.
I have both of those on order, and your not prattling (whatever that is) your mass communicattin!:D

RedPop4

One Too Many
I did a cursory search.
I know that Heritage is a better quality felt than Imperial,right?
What's Superfine?
The Mexican is an intriguing hat, but it's in Superfine felt.

Thanks.

Hoss & da Posse

One of the Regulars
Has anyone ordered and received (or seen in person) the Tablelands in Brown Olive? I placed my order today for a Black Stylemaster after I decided not to wait any longer for a reply from Everything Australian answering my question as to whether they carried it or not. The way the $ fluctuate, I ended up paying $6 or $7 more while waiting for a reply... x 2 hats, it could of covered shipping [huh] If you have, how dark of a brown is it and how green is it? In other words, in real light (as compared to monitor light), is it brown w/some green or would you say it's a green hat with some brown tones? Thanks, Hoss

Spats McGee

One Too Many
RedPop4 said:
I did a cursory search.
I know that Heritage is a better quality felt than Imperial,right?
What's Superfine?
The Mexican is an intriguing hat, but it's in Superfine felt.

Thanks.

It's my understanding that the Superfine is a higher grade of felt than the Imperial. I do not know where the Heritage fits into the hierarchy, though.

TopGumby

One of the Regulars
Can anyone on the West coast of the USA let me know what shipping times from Everything Australian have been...not that I'm impatient....:rolleyes:

Michael Bonner

New in Town
Akubras in long oval

I just learned in correspondence with everythingautralian, that campdraft and squatter models may be ordered and supplied in long ovals. As a long suffering long oval, this is great news to me, and I've ordered three. Thought some of the other long oval unfortunates would like to know this information.

HatMagnet

Familiar Face
You guys are killin' me! I had promised myself no more hats for a while and I just had to read this thread about what a great bargain the Akubra's are right now and I'm weak so I ordered a Campdraft. :eek:

oh well, my birthday's this month so maybe I can justify it to myself that way. :eusa_doh:

YARVTON

New in Town
Silverbelly Campdraft

Hatsdirect has Campdraft available in Silverbelly, though not listed on website. They had me order the Fawn and note that I wanted Silverbelly instead. No Wait.

kaosharper1

One Too Many
TopGumby said:
Can anyone on the West coast of the USA let me know what shipping times from Everything Australian have been...not that I'm impatient....:rolleyes:

Hatsdirect took about 5 days. I assume that its similar.

TopGumby

One of the Regulars
I was hoping it might be less than the ten to fifteen business days they advise, but I know that it's always wise for a seller to err on the side of caution.

Thanks for the reply.

YARVTON

New in Town
Hatsdirect shipping time

Just got second order -- faster than first order. Paid on Saturday, arrived a week later on Monday. Think that's only 5 Business Days.

Lucky Luke

New in Town
Mexican superfine or imperial

so after looking at the Akubra site it looks like the Mexican is only Imperial Quality. I like the looks of it, but, my what a large brim. Standing tall at 5'2" the larger brim makes me wonder if I'll look like a thumbtack. Nice binding, and colors.

Belegnole

One of the Regulars
Finaly ordered

One Federation Dlx Moonstone on the way as of today if I am correct. Let's see how long it takes to get to Wisconsin.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR