Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Value is Soaring Right Now

citRon

A-List Customer
Darn y'all and your 'value' talkin'!

:mad: You just made me go and order a Stylemaster in Moonstone from HD!!! Oh, and I AM blaming everyone else when i catch 3 kinds of heck from my wife!

Swagman

New in Town
citRon said:
Anyone know if the proposed rate drop in Oz has/is going to happen? The rumor is if/when this happens us yanks will have more spending power for Akubras!

The RBA did lower the rate by a full percentage earlier this week. There has been a very slight drop against the dollar, but not significant. Probably all the talk about US government plans to put billions of USD out has done nothing to strengthen the USD against the AUD even with the drop in rates.

It has really settled into the .65 range. Since the poo started hitting the fan last year, the rate went from near parity, to .80 to the low of .60. So today's rate of .65 Generally makes for a great deal on the Akubra of your choice.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
I dropped into Top Hatters, here in town after work to buy a CEO in silver grey, but alas it was not in stock in my size (59/60) but she checked the order book and they do have some comming in for March which means she will have em in by the end of February, and she will hold em for me, as my penthouse office is on the nearby St Georges Terrace!!! I can dash right over when i get the call!!!
C.E.O.jpg

Guinness

New in Town
Thank you very much for the address. I sent an email here and hope to hear from them. Will let you know how it works. Thanks again.

citRon

A-List Customer
Hats Direct Shipped my new Stylemaster yesterday, $88 bucks and some change including shipping!!
Is it wrong for me to want Australia's economy to get worse so I can buy another hat? :eek:

Davidson

One of the Regulars
My ship(ment) came in! I just received a "tawny fawn" Campdraft, a "carbon grey" Federation IV, and a "dark brown" Federation Deluxe IV. :D

I got one of each since I wanted to compare all three hats.

From a once-over:

All of them are rounder than my long oval head. The Deluxe fits the largest of the three - I don't know if that is typical or just hat-to-hat variation.

The Fed Deluxe sweatband is not only better leather, it is wider. I definitely prefer it to the sweatbands in the other two.

The Fed Deluxe felt is softer and smoother than either of the others. All three have well-colored, nice, substantial felt.

The liners seem the same quality to me across the three hats.

The Campdraft and Fed shipped together in a cheaper box than the Fed Deluxe. Somewhere on the way, it got crushed, and so did the two crowns inside. Nothing permanent to the hats, but the box is trashed. I'm a little miffed about that - if they are going to ship two nice hats in one box across the world, the stiffer cardboard would be appreciated.

I really like the "tawny fawn" color. I prefer it over the "heritage fawn" (for me), which looks more like a straight light/mid brown from the pics I've seen. The tawny is warmer, with a more rust shade.

I also like the carbon gray - it's dark, but hard to mistake for black. I didn't want another hat that looked black. I got the Fed in that color, since I wanted a dark gray, and Hats Direct doesn't list a carbon gray Deluxe.

The "dark brown" is very nice too. It's not a bright brown, but it's definitely brown, not black. A rich color. Good stuff.

I'm just getting started on crown bash. I've only tried "dry" so far, and I think I will end up using a little water mist / steam once I have settled down on shapes.

My preference from what I've seen, given the same color availability, would be to always pick the Deluxe over the Fed, given the current difference in price.

I got them from hatsdirect. Other than the cheap box that got crushed, the service was outstanding.

JohnnyB53

One of the Regulars
Davidson said:
The Fed Deluxe sweatband is not only better leather, it is wider. I definitely prefer it to the sweatbands in the other two.

The Fed Deluxe felt is softer and smoother than either of the others. All three have well-colored, nice, substantial felt.
I really like the "tawny fawn" color. I prefer it over the "heritage fawn" (for me), which looks more like a straight light/mid brown from the pics I've seen. The tawny is warmer, with a more rust shade.
I have two Fed IVs, a tawny fawn std. and a moonstone Deluxe. I love both colors, and between the two, they go with just about everything. I lucked out on my tawny fawn std, however, as it came with a Deluxe sweatband (must have been a lucky mistake). With Deluxe sweatbands and softer, open crowns, the Fed IVs are really comfortable, like second skin comfortable.

Davidson

One of the Regulars
JohnnyB53 said:
I have two Fed IVs, a tawny fawn std. and a moonstone Deluxe. I love both colors, and between the two, they go with just about everything. I lucked out on my tawny fawn std, however, as it came with a Deluxe sweatband (must have been a lucky mistake). With Deluxe sweatbands and softer, open crowns, the Fed IVs are really comfortable, like second skin comfortable.
Yes, I like Moonstone a lot too. It was my first choice in the Deluxe, but there was a 6-8 week wait on my size in Moonstone. They had the 3 I picked in stock.

I am a little surprised, but the Campdraft is about tied with the Fed for my affections. The crowns are similar enough to be a "don't care" to me. I kinda wish they had a Moonstone Campdraft - it would be a tough choice. As it is, I may put the Moonstone Fed Deluxe on my "wish list" for Father's Day.

I forgot to mention - both Fed brims are noticeable flatter than the Campdraft. The front of neither Fed had enough curl to snap down in front - they just sorta droop in front. The backs of the brims seem to have a little more curl in them, they both stay curled up. I thought at first I would need to add some curl to the brim, but after a couple wearings, I think they may be OK as is.

Also, the widening of the crown near the top bothered me a bit in my initial bashes. But I found that by bringing the pinch back further on the sides, the mushroom effect disappears (from most viewing angles, if not entirely). Just a tip in case anyone else has a similar concern.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
waiting for my lids

MrBern said:
Swore I'd order an akubra once the holidays were done & OVER.
Pulled the trigger on 2 new Feds tonite.

I appreciate this thread for the heads up on the Australian dollar!
Good lookin' out, guys! ;)

Still waiting for my new Feds.
Im well past the 5 days wait that most of you have been averaging.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Well my Feds arrived today. Ordered on Jan29. I was starting to get concerned since so many of you seemed to receive your order in a week.

I'll have to iron the ribbon as one Fed is packed into the other, so its dented & wrinkled on the sides.
So theres a tradeoff to the shipping savings for a multiple order.

Im already regretting Carbon Grey. Its much darker than I had expected...Its only a shade lighter than the black. I shouldve gone with Moonstone.

Tram

New in Town
I ordered a Fev IV Moonstone from HD earlier this week and got an email saying its out of stock in my size and can be back ordered. They anticipate it to come it in March.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo