Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AL - Simmons Bilt!

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm sorry for reviving an old thread, but I was looking into purchasing an AL jacket, and am interested about the Clayton. This was the only thread I could find discussing the jacket, but I didn't understand what Sloan1874 was saying. Is there something wrong with the styling on AL's Clayton jacket?

Perhaps I am paranoid and reading too much into the timing (recent BK thread exchange) and newness of the poster, but . . .

shark-bait-224x300.jpg

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Ha! Okay, i'll bite. The Clayton is AL/SB's version of a jacket called The Oakland, as seen below. It was one of the designs, Alexander and co tried to copy when they attempted a re-launch under the new named after their co-founder/factory manager/whatever Will Lauder left/was jailed for thieving from Aero.

IMG_1848.jpg

IMG_1903.jpg

As you can see, it'a very different proposition from SB's Clayton.

clayton-01.jpg

clayton-back.jpg
#

To me the latter is just a half-belt with a Peter Pan collar tacked on top of it - it looks a bit too big and it's not connected to the body in the same way that the original is. I think it's a pretty shoddy attempt, tbh.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I'm not too keen on that collar. Otherwise the Clayton looks to me like a 1930's HB with an action back.

Last edited:

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
Hi,

I'm sorry for reviving an old thread, but I was looking into purchasing an AL jacket, and am interested about the Clayton. This was the only thread I could find discussing the jacket, but I didn't understand what Sloan1874 was saying. Is there something wrong with the styling on AL's Clayton jacket?

I'm somewhat torn on the mandarin collar as well, and don't know whether to go with this or a more traditional collar. And also apart from some small differences (front breast pocket), I'm not sure how the Clayton compares with the Half Belt.

Finally, where did you get the 'original' picture from? Is that a well known style from a certain maker?

First of all welcome to the forum since no one else has had the good manners to do so. You must feel you’ve wandered into a strange place with some of the replies to what must have seemed like an innocent question. It wasn't always like this but I’m afraid some of the inmates here have become a little overwrought and see enemies everywhere. It’s a bit sad really and I don’t think there’s a lot to be done for some of them.

I’ve never seen this jacket in the flesh but I have bought a couple of jackets from the company and they do excellent work. So don’t be put of too much by churlish comments. I would recommend the Clayton leather with this jacket. It would drape beautifully and has a lovely grain. It is the leather pictured I think. If you do a search you will find a lot of reviews of jackets made by the company with good pictures. Not so many lately unsurprisingly, and from the replies to your post you can guess why. Good luck with it if you go ahead and I’m sure you will be pleased with it.

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
First of all welcome to the forum since no one else has had the good manners to do so. You must feel you’ve wandered into a strange place with some of the replies to what must have seemed like an innocent question. It wasn't always like this but I’m afraid some of the inmates here have become a little overwrought and see enemies everywhere. It’s a bit sad really and I don’t think there’s a lot to be done for some of them

e50a034bc5ea178ba770d2529705e4e27e072e9550cdba712e5e2d51335929ac.jpg

Welcome to the Lounge Phario!
If you read other threads, you'll find great people and a whole lot of fantastic info. There are so many Phenominal jackets posted on TFL.
This Clayton, however isn't one of them IMHO.
Looking forward to seeing you around :)
Cheers!

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I meant no disrespect toward the OP, but I really do hate that collar on the Clayton. :p

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
The original has quite a large opening at the neck, the Clayton looks as if it could be quite constricting. The original collar seam is a feature in itself while the copy looks, imo, 'unfinished', as if they've not been able to work out what was going on there and just made a rough approximation of it.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
The original has quite a large opening at the neck, the Clayton looks as if it could be quite constricting. The original collar seam is a feature in itself while the copy looks, imo, 'unfinished', as if they've not been able to work out what was going on there and just made a rough approximation of it.
It looks like the business end of a hangman's noose.:eek:

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
I meant no disrespect toward the OP, but I really do hate that collar on the Clayton. :p

Actually I think it’s mainly the way the two jackets are photographed. In one the zip is not done up so the collar opening seems bigger, and in the other it is done up so it doesn’t. I bet if you had both jackets side by side there would be little difference. I don’t like that collar much in ether jacket but SB says on its website that it can be supplied with a normal collar. Which IMO would be better. But frankly if SB made the best jackets in the solar system it would make no difference to some of the claque here. I don’t include you with them BTW since though an aficionado of Aero, unlike them you are not intolerant and abusive.

Last edited:

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
Actually Mom, I think @Sloan1874 did pen a fine reply. But jeepers, thanks for representing us all - that's swell.

What are you talking about? I certainly don’t represent you thank God. I always thought you were a bully and told you so on one of the BK threads a couple of years ago when you were laying into the BK man. That was before you took a holiday from this forum.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
If it comes with a normal collar that would make it a half-belt with an action back. The original is a different confection in of itself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner