Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AL - Simmons Bilt!

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sad post really. Is that what passes for intelligent comment in your household?

51-auU1yAuL._SX311_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

hpalapdog

One of the Regulars
Ha! Okay, i'll bite. The Clayton is AL/SB's version of a jacket called The Oakland, as seen below. It was one of the designs, Alexander and co tried to copy when they attempted a re-launch under the new named after their co-founder/factory manager/whatever Will Lauder left/was jailed for thieving from Aero.

IMG_1848.jpg

IMG_1903.jpg

As you can see, it'a very different proposition from SB's Clayton.

clayton-01.jpg

#

To me the latter is just a half-belt with a Peter Pan collar tacked on top of it - it looks a bit too big and it's not connected to the body in the same way that the original is. I think it's a pretty shoddy attempt, tbh.

Can't help thinking SB's new wider neck design might have gone to far...

tod_browning_freaks-b1.jpg

phario

New in Town
First of all welcome to the forum since no one else has had the good manners to do so. You must feel you’ve wandered into a strange place with some of the replies to what must have seemed like an innocent question. It wasn't always like this but I’m afraid some of the inmates here have become a little overwrought and see enemies everywhere. It’s a bit sad really and I don’t think there’s a lot to be done for some of them.

I’ve never seen this jacket in the flesh but I have bought a couple of jackets from the company and they do excellent work. So don’t be put of too much by churlish comments. I would recommend the Clayton leather with this jacket. It would drape beautifully and has a lovely grain. It is the leather pictured I think. If you do a search you will find a lot of reviews of jackets made by the company with good pictures. Not so many lately unsurprisingly, and from the replies to your post you can guess why. Good luck with it if you go ahead and I’m sure you will be pleased with it.

First of all, I want to thank many of the people here who have welcomed me and are giving me some further context (not to mention some details about the jacket). As you anticipated, it was a bit weird for me to try and come into this thread and ask about AL only to have some very strange responses. I've read a little bit about the Aero/AL issue, but it's hard to figure out what is the current state of play.

If you don't mind, I might email you personally with more questions rather than trying to pursue a discussion here about the jacket I was interested in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider