Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALEX HENSHAW DIES

silhouette53

One of the Regulars
Alex Henshaw the WW2 daredevil test pilot has died aged 94. He test flew practically every Spitfire built at the castle Bromwich factory here in Birmingham. Here are some pics and report from our newspaper , the Birmingham Mail.

Stila001.jpg

Stila003.jpg

Stila002.jpg

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I got an email about this from a friend.

Very sad but he had a good innings and didn't he do a lot with it!

silhouette53

One of the Regulars
Sorry the pics I scanned aren't reproduced too well. Tried resizing the images so the newspaper text can be read but without success so here it is laboriously typed out for y'all !!

Dare-devil flying ace Alex Henshaw, one of Birmingham's finest war heroes , has died at the age of 94
During the 2nd world war, Mr Henshaw was chief test pilot for Britain's Spitfire fighter planes, made at the Castle Bromwich factory.
He was renowned for his daredevil low flying exploits over the factory during test runs and his stunts, including loop the loops.
Mr Henshaws dashing good looks and daredevil nature made him a heart throb to scores of women in E Block at the factory in Tyburn Road. His love affair with the Spitfire, which played such a vital role in the Battle of Britain, continued throughout his life.
Last March, aged 93, he took to the skies in one again at an RAF celebration at Duxford. He also had a role in the 60th anniversary celebrations of the Battle of Britain in Southampton.
Mr Henshaw died in his armchair at his home in Newmarket yesterday.
The widower, who lost his beloved wife Barbara eight years ago, leaves a son Alex.
Although born in Skegness, he always considered Birmingham his second home.
He wrote three books, the most famous of which, Sigh of the Merlin, was based on his days at Castle Bromwich.
He received an MBE from the Queen, but his fans were always dismayed that he was never given a Knighthood.
To this day, he holds a world record for flying a racing plane from Gravesend in Kent, to to Capetown, South Africa and back in just three days and eleven hours.
He did not have the advantage of radio or GPS navigation systems and made the daring journey with just a stop watch, a ruler and a map for guidance, stopping to fill up the plane himself from oildrums placed at strategic points.
He also once flew a Spitfire upside down along the entire length of Broad Street in Birmingham, just 50 feet above the ground !!!
But he was also the centre of many myths, including claims that he would fly low over his home to let his wife know he was ready for tea and that he always chose to fly in carpet slippers.
Close friend Andrew Brooks, aged 40, said today "He was a gentleman of honour, integrity and justice. Our country and our city has lost one of its amazing heroes."

God Bless you Alex Henshaw - and THANK YOU. R.I.P

Hondo

One Too Many
silhouette53: No problem, no need for 'sorry' it got posted, a good man, rich in history, truely sorry for his passing, I should be so lucky to live that long, great story, God Bless Alex Henshaw R.I.P :(

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Alex Henshaw

I had the pleasure of seeing him (from a distance) and hearing him being interviewed at a Spitfire event last year. A fine pilot and a great man.

Rest in peace.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner