Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Happy Birthday Spitfire

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
It was great to be at Eastleigh in Hampshire yesterday to commemorate the 70th anniversary of the first flight of Supermarine 'Spitfire' (called 'Shrew' at that time) Prototype K5054 at the same field (now Southampton International Airport) from which the first 8 minute flight took place with 'Mutt' Summers at the controls.

A display and flypast (flyby) of five Spitfires of various marks showed the development of the 'plane from 1936 to 1946, and it was great to see them sweeping down Southampton Water as many Spitfire patrols did to protect the Supermarine factories from daylight bombing in the early years of the war.

Taking the lead was Carolyn Grace's T9 trainer with 93 year old Supermarine test pilot Alex Henshaw in the rear seat. He took the controls of the 'Spit' for a time - almost 70 years after first doing so! Back at the airfield he gave a fascinating interview for local radio in which he described his experiences as a test pilot on the Spitfire development programme. Interestingly, a he was wearing what appeared to be an original Irvin jacket - possibly his WW2 issue?

There was also a moving tribute to Reginald 'RJ' Mitchell, who led the Supermarine development team but who died of canser before the outbreak of war in 1939. I grew up in the same town as RJ, went to the same school etc. and worked for his nephew. There are many interesting stories about RJ. He hated the name Spitfire and used it reluctantly at first, and while his attention to detail was meticulous, his approach to historical records and archives tended to be of the Henry Ford school. Until recent research uncovered a missing file there was some doubt as to when the Spitfire first flew!

Jake

One of the Regulars
Wish I could of been there as well. I am glad that the 93 year old test pilot got a chance to relive old memories. Jolly good show....Jake.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
How could this be...?

Alan Eardley said:
It was great to be at Eastleigh in Hampshire yesterday to commemorate the 70th anniversary of the first flight of Supermarine 'Spitfire'...
How is it possible that time is slipping away so quickly? Over the next decade, all of the remaining WWII lights will go out. Will we lose touch with this time in our history? With the selfless sacrifice of ordinary lads, turned into extraordinary blokes by the enormity of the conflict? Let those of us here pledge again to each other that we will keep these memories alive! -- ZF

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Here's the 93-year old (Alex Henshaw)!

_41405724_henshawpaok.jpg

nightandthecity

Practically Family
wow! My idea of a grand day out! I am green with envy.

In the airshow season we occassionally get Spits and other WW2 planes flying over us. Best of all was a low level P-51! Not far above the tree tops. I couldn't believe my eyes. I never did find out where he came from or where he was going!

GHT

I'll Lock Up
The Spitfire's maiden flight anniversary has been on the radio for much of the day. It's 78 years now, I don't know if there is an event planned. Much of the air time at the moment has been given over to the start of WW1's hostilities.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925