Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alexander Leathers opinion needed.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Carlos840, Great outcome, Glad to see AL is looking after you and standing behind their product. Just curious if you have asked for any tweaks on the remake? I really liked you first jacket, just wondering if you have taken this opportunity to change anything?

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Carlos840, Great outcome, Glad to see AL is looking after you and standing behind their product. Just curious if you have asked for any tweaks on the remake? I really liked you first jacket, just wondering if you have taken this opportunity to change anything?

No, nothing at all, the fit was i think as good as i could get it, so it's just an exact remake...

Also, considering this is the third remake, and i am starting to feel like a pain, i didn't want to add complications by changing things around...

Last edited:

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
3 weeks later, still nothing!

They promised me a new jacket in a week, now they are giving me some "we are busy doing other things"

This is really giving me a Lawless Denim deja vu...

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I wouldn't sweat it, its Easter. I know its frustrating but a week or two now won't have much impact on a great jacket that will last you the next 40 years....

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Well, i am currently wearing my new jacket, and it is PERFECT!

The fit is the same as the previous one, the new lining is awesome, it's a very silky cotton fabric, not sure if it's a twill, a drill, but it feels thin and airy, with a super soft satin feel.
The Riri zipper is great,m it looks good, and feels a lot smoother than the Talon one. The Talon one felt grabby and notchy, the Riri just glides up and down with very little resistance.
Considering they have never had a Riri failure, i can say i am a convert.

All in all, i am a very happy customer. I did have a very unlucky run, but i think that Steven at AL was really amazing at dealing with it, and made sure to get things sorted as best as he could.
I will definitely get beck to them when i decide to buy a brown jacket!

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Ask and you shall receive!

It's pretty much the same as the previous one, apart from the Riri zipper and the new lining.
There is one small difference, this one has red lining all the way, the old one had red in the body and black in the sleeves.
Although i prefer this fabric, i liked the black lining in the sleeves, if only because the wrist area is probably going to get dirty at some point and look a bit rough.

Also, they have enlarged the neck a little, on the original one i could not zip the jacket all the way up as it was choking me a little...
Not really a problem as i never zip it all the way up, but this one doesn't choke me when zipped up.
I didn't ask for it, or even mentioned it, not sure if it's a global change, or random luck.

Actually, looking at the pictures, it seems the lining in the body finished at the edge on the original one, which created some rubbing between the lining and my jeans and some fraying, the new one has a band of leather at the bottom.

DSC_4152_zpsumthxvhi.jpg

DSC_4156_zps4yekwysq.jpg

DSC_4153_zps0kjutpod.jpg

DSC_4155_zpsuognhbtk.jpg

Fit pics in the original thread:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?80054-Alexander-Leathers-Cafe-Racer/page6&highlight=

Completely unrelated, but i have been making belts recently, and i really like the contrast between black leather jacket and boots and natural leather belts!

DSC_4150_zps7p8ex1sk.jpg

DSC_4151_zpsdqepvstt.jpg

Last edited:

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Love those belts. Are you doing it commercially?

Thanks!

Nothing commercial yet, just a bit of fun. These were the first time i ever did any kind of leather work, as you can see the top one isn't stitched to well, i was still figuring out the proper technique.
The second one is as good as it can get, nice and straight, with a nice slant in the stitching...

I would be happy to put a belt together if you have a buckle you like, the leather is £13, and i would probably charge around £25 for the work ( it takes roughly 2 hours to burnish, pierce and stitch a belt, burnishing is the longest as i do it all by hand)
The buckle is the most expensive, I ordered these from the US, and once you factor in shipping and customs it's not cheap, but if you can find a nice buckle in the UK it should be cheaper.

Last edited:

pawineguy

One Too Many
Glad they sorted it all out, all companies have issues from time to time, it's how they deal with those issues that ends up defining them. Jacket looks great, glad you're happy with it.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
That leather looks oddly like the overdye steer Johnson uses. Yours looks great! (Sorry, I uploaded the wrong pic and the one I was going for isn't there. But in certain lighting it looks identical. You can sort of see the greyish overtones like yours has but again, wrong pic. Fail.)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    801.6 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo