Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alexander Leathers opinion needed.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Hi everyone,

So, close to 6 months ago i ordered an AL cafe racer.

When it was delivered it showed signs of damage and had the wrong windflap, details can be found in this thread:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?79568-Zipper-damaging-leather&highlight=

I received a replacement, and still the windflap was not what i had asked. I sent the jacket back and they replaced the windflap.
Although you could see it had been change (they had to unstitch, and restitch through the same holes, and it shows a little bit) i was ok with it.

All the info is in this thread:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?80054-Alexander-Leathers-Cafe-Racer&highlight=

I wore the jacket for a couple months, and realised quickly that the lining was fraying and really didn't look very resistant, the jacket was also losing color at rubbing spots very fast.
I sent AL an email and they said to keep an eye on it and see how it aged.

In february, things got worst, the main zipper had a complete failure and was basically dead, i contacted AL, and they said they had issues with their last batch of Talon zipper, that i should send it back and they would inspect it and find a solution.

As you can imagine, this is really starting to annoy me, 6 months down the line and i still don't have a wearable jacket!

Now, i have gotten a response, and they are offering me to reline the jacket and change the zipper, but say that the fast color loss is normal.
On one hand i feel like this is a crappy deal, i paid for a new jacket, and i am getting back a frankestein jacket, that will have been altered, relined, re zipped, etc...
On the other hand, i just want to have a freaking jacket that doesn't fall apart.

What do you guys think?

Should i ask for a remake, or is it ok for them to just patch it together and send me on my way!

ykurtz

One of the Regulars
This sounds like a piece of buggy code that gets fixed only as specific bugs manifest: after each fix you hope that's the end of it, but new bugs keep getting discovered. I think you got a lemon. Request the remake. Worst case they say no and you have Frankenstein's monster to keep. Best case you get a better jacket sans bugs. Net expected outcome is higher if you ask. So worth asking for in my opinion.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The fraying shouldn't have happened, espeicially on a new jacket. It sounds like they're trying to fix it and the zipper problem, but it's hard to comment on the leather fading without pictures. My Aero LHB in brown FQHH started to show signs of breaking in almost immediately with some fading at points of wear, but I believe that's perfectly normal for certain leathers.

Mark Ricketts

One of the Regulars
The colour loss may actually be normal. I have a jacket from Horween heavy steer CXL, and it changed colour FAST. I am still happy with it.
The other problems sound like you got a bit of a donkey, politely request a remake and see what happens.

bbq

Familiar Face
This sounds like a piece of buggy code that gets fixed only as specific bugs manifest: after each fix you hope that's the end of it, but new bugs keep getting discovered. I think you got a lemon. Request the remake. Worst case they say no and you have Frankenstein's monster to keep. Best case you get a better jacket sans bugs. Net expected outcome is higher if you ask. So worth asking for in my opinion.

+1

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Yep, colour loss is standard, but your zip going and the liner fraying does not bode well for any ongoing relationship with that jacket.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Yep, colour loss is standard, but your zip going and the liner fraying does not bode well for any ongoing relationship with that jacket.

+1. If I were you I would have that jacket on its way back to AL post haste. Negotiate for a new jacket after it has been sent back.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
The jacket has been back at AL for 2 weeks already, and all they offered was to reline and re zipp it.

My main question is how would you feel about getting a "new" jacket which has had the wind flap replaced, the zipper replaced, and the lining replaced?
Knowing none of this is ever completely invisible, yes they stitch through the same holes, but you can see the difference...

Is it still a new jacket? or some sort of frankenstein monster...

Had i paid sales price for it i would be fine, but i paid full retail price for it...

walterwhyte

New in Town
I would say you definitely need a remake and if they are not prepared to remake for you I would be asking for a refund.
If you can already see where they changed the windflap you are certainly gonna have extra stitch holes from a zip and lining change, certainly not what you want from a 6 month old jacket. You want a jacket to look worn through natural breaking in not through multiple unnessesary repairs.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Do you have a warranty through your credit card company? You might see if you can open a dispute and obtain a refund.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Do you have a warranty through your credit card company? You might see if you can open a dispute and obtain a refund.

I don't think it works that way in the UK, and also it's not like we are not in talking terms, i am sure that if i asked for a refund i would get one!
Right now i want a jacket, not my money... I am just trying to figure out if i should accept the relined re zipped jacket or ask for a third remake...

zebedee

One Too Many
In view of the time and expense that you've already put in, ask for a remake. You paid for a new jacket, not one that's been refurbished, re-lined and unpicked.

If you do decide on the 'original', Robocop, version ('Now lose the arm, ok?'), ask for AL to refund you 30% of the original price.

Stand By

One Too Many
Man, that's a beautiful jacket, Carlos. Really nice - and it fits you perfectly! Great choice on the colour of the lining too!

So it's a real shame to hear about the construction woes … and personally, if it was me, I'd let AL do the repairs; but I'd be sure in letting them know in no uncertain way that I'm skeptical and feeling underwhelmed so far, and so this is an opportunity for them to remedy both the jacket and my unhappiness thus far, so the job had better be amazing, so that I didn't feel that I was in any way settling for anything second best.
But I would give them the benefit of the doubt at this point and allow them the chance to fix it the way THEY want.
And let them know that if the alterations don't work to your satisfaction (and it may not come to that as they do have skilled people working there), then I would demand that they remedy the situation the way YOU want it - and that would be a remake.
But I'd let them try first.
Best of luck and I hope this has a happy ending.

jpk_NJ

One Too Many
The main zipper failing sucks, but occasionally happens with new talons from what Ive heard. Color loss is normal and some lining wear is expected. Now if the lining was completely sagging, tearing etc, that would be an issue. In my experience with Alexander Leathers, they will sort it out for you as long as both parties are being reasonable. I have three of their jackets, and one more on the way. Great customer service in my experience. ymmv

Stand By

One Too Many
I agree - the alteration work they've done for me in the past has been beyond exemplary and I'd let them have a fair crack at resolving it first.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Its a tough one, and I'm not sure which side of the fence I sit on with this one. Is anyone EVER going to notice the slight misalignment of the wind flap stitch holes, or the new liner or the new zipper?

As for the fading, people pay for distressing work or buy vintage just so it looks lived in already, yours is just looking that way a little quicker than you expected.

I know its disappointing to have a "new" jacket have so many repairs but lets be honest here, its a jacket, it looks great on you, better than 99% of jackets are going to look on 99% of the population and none of the repairs will ever be seen by anyone, its just you that knows they were done.

I know we have come to expect an extremely high level of customer service from the main manufacturers talked about here, but again, lets be honest, with 6 months wear, I think you'd be hard pressed to find many clothing manufacturers offering to happily fix these issues free of charge. Not saying that that is right, just the way it is these days.

I'm not saying you should be happy about the situation but take a step back and look at whats good about the jacket. Does it really need a complete remake?

I am sorry to hear you have had trouble, most of us here have had disappointments with a jacket one way or another, I will be interested to hear what happens.

Goodluck

Remake, remake, remake! Or a refund!

There's no excuse for a failing zipper on a leather jacket after only 6 months of wear. That shouldn't have happened. Otherwise, eBay would have a lot less vintage leather jackets, most with still perfectly working zippers.

From your posts I get the impression you simply wanted a top quality leather jacket, one you'd stick with and wouldn't have to worry about. That's what you paid for and that's what you deserve.
While right now you're obviously not too enthusiastic with the idea of having your jacket repaired, believe me that you will be even less happy with the repaired jacket, being aware at all times that they were ripping it apart, replacing crap, then stitching it back together - and all that on a brand new jacket! It will bother you to the point where you might end up not wanting to wear it anymore. It sounds weird, perhaps, but I've been down that path and it sucked.

So yeah, ask for a remake. If Aero can do it even if there's NOTHING wrong with the jacket, so should AL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo