Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alexander Leathers Roadster fit advice (with pics)

StichInTime

New in Town
Thought I would update this thread with a pic of the final jacket. I'm very pleased with the results - but I have to be careful not to gain too much weight now, haha. I know AL have had some bad coverage on here but I have to say I found them great, only issue is the collar/neck feels a bit tight at the back but I hope this will break in over time (anything I can do to speed this up..?)

dyG9yA0.jpg

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Nice! Great fit!

Regarding helping the break in, the best way really is to wear it loads. When i got my AL cafe racer a few months ago, i literally wore the jacket all the time, i would keep it indoors, wear it while driving, just took it off to sleep.
That really speeds up the process. If you want, you can wet yourself using a spray bottle and sit with your arms bent, it helps...

The best way is to ride a bike in summer when it's boiling hot, that will mould the jacket to your body in no time!

StichInTime

New in Town
I ordered a Roadster in a standard size 40, took pics wearing that jacket (as seen in this thread, see page 1) and used those along with stock pics of people wearing jackets with the kind of fit I wanted to more accurately explain the size / fit I wanted to them.

I understand they had to make custom changes to the pattern for this jacket - the arms were slimmed, body lengthened, shoulders/back narrowed, chest taken in very slightly and waist/body taken in quite a lot (relatively). The differences to these were quite slight (1" - 2" here & there), but it was a matter of changing the fit, not just sizing down.

I went with the upgraded RiRi zips and an internal napoleon pocket, but switched to the other side so the chest doesn't bulk out as the breast pocket is lined.

The side adjusters are pretty redundant now as it fits nice and slim, but I liked the look they give so kept them.

Only thing I would do different is get rayon/silk sleeve lining so it's easier to take it on/off, but the stock black twill will last longer.

Last edited:

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
only issue is the collar/neck feels a bit tight at the back but I hope this will break in over time (anything I can do to speed this up..?)

I tried to wear my jacket while sleeping, it gave me nightmare, in the morning my jacket was on the floor, I didn't even remember how lol.
I would just expose them to elements, wear it to ride a bike or bicycle, let the heat from sun, rain, your own body heat work on the leather, soon it will mold the shape of the leather much like how your wallet taking shape without much help other than carrying it around.

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Almost all of my jackets live on my bedroom floor. I currently step over two A-2s and a Board Racer to get to the door.

pawineguy

One Too Many
Almost all of my jackets live on my bedroom floor. I currently step over two A-2s and a Board Racer to get to the door.

The couch and recliner in my bedroom are both covered in jackets and denim. Saves money on hangars. As to the neck, you can treat it with some hot water, or just work it a bit with your hands. The back of the neck is a tough part to break in as it doesn't normally flex much even with frequent wear. (in my experience)

dan_t

Practically Family
Looks great! The length in the body and arms is spot on.
As for breaking it in, I think you're getting the same message from everyone - just wear it!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats