Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alexander Leathers Spiegel

nabottle

A-List Customer
OK, here are some pictures taken in the wonderful Florida Sunshine......... THAT WAS SARCASM! The Spiegel is a stock 42. I am 5'9", weigh 175 lbs., and my chest measures exactly 42". I do want to add that this leather is purposely meant to take on marks so as to add to the character of the leather. I happen to like that. If you own any Saddleback Leather products, then this leather is similar in that respect. Also, the sleeves are slightly long for my taste and I do plan on having them shortened a little.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
The sleeves are perfect - don't touch, you'll get used to them. Nice jacket. How often can you wear something like that in Florida?

wdw

One Too Many
Absolutely nothing wrong with the sleeves. Looks a great fit on you, but my brain can't compute Florida and heavy leather. Just compared it with treated, but I think untreated looks much better.

nabottle

A-List Customer
Thanks a lot, guys. With all of your suggestions, I guess I'll leave the sleeves as they are. As for the Florida climate and a leather jacket, well, it isn't feasible most of the year. I do travel to colder climates and I wear the hell out of them. And like a lot of guys, I wear them indoors from time to time. Damn it! I just love leather jackets.

Thanks a lot, guys. With all of your suggestions, I guess I'll leave the sleeves as they are. As for the Florida climate and a leather jacket, well, it isn't feasible most of the year. I do travel to colder climates and I wear the hell out of them. And like a lot of guys, I wear them indoors from time to time. Damn it! I just love leather jackets.
I understand being in California. But yeah, leather jackets are an obsession here. Wish my wife would let us move up north. Enjoy it - looks great.

schitzo

Suspended
the shot from behind shows it off perfectly, that is one cool vintage looking jacket. And at a dirt cheap price huh, congratulations!
I agree with the pack re sleeve length

eggleman

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the pics.
Looks great . I'd leave the sleeves too .
My friend preferred the more stable/darker treated finish , but as you say this leather will age and mark in it's own unique way,
giving it more character in the long run .
Hey each to his own ;)

winterland1

Practically Family
The Spiegel looks great. I will just echo that the sleeves look like a great length. The jacket overall looks like a great fit and seems to fit your style in the pictures. Sleeves on leather jackets can be deceiving as when you stand hands at side they might seem a little long but when you sit they shorten and when you drive anything shorten even more.
Hey when everyone else is complaining when you get some cooler weather, you will be happy wearing your jacket.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
For reference, here's an original '50s jacket sold by Spiegel of the pattern that was based upon.

Instead of the side adjuster tabs of the repro, this original had buttons on the half-belt, which would have attached to a button-on full belt. The relocated (raised) pockets of the repro remove the possibility of that setup. The original also had an action back for greater range of motion in the shoulders.

Last edited:

Azog

Familiar Face
Looks like a great fit nabottle.
Im finding mine still marks fairly easily after the pecards but do much prefer the darker colour. I'm also noticing darker and glossier areas developing on the high wear areas such as the folded over seams on the cuffs etc.
The future is looking good for my jacket! :)

eggleman

One of the Regulars
Looks like a great fit nabottle.
Im finding mine still marks fairly easily after the pecards but do much prefer the darker colour. I'm also noticing darker and glossier areas developing on the high wear areas such as the folded over seams on the cuffs etc.
The future is looking good for my jacket! :)

Pecards or not , it looks like this is an interesting hide . Great that you're both enjoying your jackets :D

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
The jacket appears to fit spot on and flatters you. I wouldn't change anything. Congratulations.

nabottle

A-List Customer
I'd have to say, it's the best deal I've ever gotten on a leather jacket and I really appreciate the all of the advice and input from you guys. If only I had a lot more money to blow........

nabottle

A-List Customer
@pjstrass - The boots are Whites Vintage in Chromexcel Black. I bought them on Baker's site and they list them as White's Vintage Packers. That was the first day I wore them and I've been wearing them regularly ever since. I have only GREAT things to say about them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy