Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alexander Leathers

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I have a neighbour who is also a slim 36-38 and is selling a number of USN originals: M-422A, G-1, AN-J-4 if you're interested?

At the moment I'm looking for something a little lighter for the summer - though given last summer, an AN-J-4 might just do it. If I can scrape some cash together in the next few months I'm might look at an Aero QM A-2, I think even a used GW will go 'high' what with the new prices. But thanks for the offer, it's good to see there are some equally small people out there being forced to shell out for brand new stuff too. :D

Edward

Bartender
At the moment I'm looking for something a little lighter for the summer - though given last summer, an AN-J-4 might just do it. If I can scrape some cash together in the next few months I'm might look at an Aero QM A-2, I think even a used GW will go 'high' what with the new prices. But thanks for the offer, it's good to see there are some equally small people out there being forced to shell out for brand new stuff too. :D

I'm watching out for those QM Aeros too....! The best value new A2 on the market at the minute, it seems to me, is the Bill Kelso house jacket at EU350. I'm having craz thoughts about getting one of those and having it patched up as a pp (or in imitation of one of the rare A2s that made it out there) AVG jacket, blood chit and all. Course, if I do do it, expect me on here within a week spitting feathers about some "£$%er's "Nice Top Gun jacket!" comment..... lol

Stand By

One Too Many
For the summer months, I can highly recommend an L2 - I had a Buzz Rickson's L2 and it's a great design. There are also originals to be had on-line (mostly later L2-Bs though). Of course, finding one that isn't worn out is the trick, but they are out there ... and replacement cuffs are out there as well on eBay.
It's a good alternative to consider is all I'm saying.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
"expect me on here within a week spitting feathers about some "£$%er's "Nice Top Gun jacket!" comment..... lol"

:D

Edward

Bartender
"expect me on here within a week spitting feathers about some "£$%er's "Nice Top Gun jacket!" comment..... lol"

:D

I hate that film more than Hitler.

For the summer months, I can highly recommend an L2 - I had a Buzz Rickson's L2 and it's a great design. There are also originals to be had on-line (mostly later L2-Bs though). Of course, finding one that isn't worn out is the trick, but they are out there ... and replacement cuffs are out there as well on eBay.
It's a good alternative to consider is all I'm saying.

Yes, they are good too. Especially on wet days. I've got one of the Alpha Vintage series L2As in "vintage blue". Nice jacket, though sadly much lighter in shade than the originals. I wish Alpha would bring back the "Replica" line (I have one of the B15Cs from that, and it's remarkably good). I'd adore to have an L2A repro in the correct dark blue. Buzz do a lovely one, but I would struggle to justify what they go for used (on the rare occasions they crop up), but the new price - GBP400 or so - for what is essentially a nylon windbreaker is a step too far for me, alas.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Buzz do a lovely one, but I would struggle to justify what they go for used (on the rare occasions they crop up), but the new price - GBP400 or so - for what is essentially a nylon windbreaker is a step too far for me, alas.

"Aero Quartermaster A-2 at £385 or rather nice nylon windbreaker at £450, hmm. Which to choose. Which. To. Choose..." :D

Stand By

One Too Many
"Aero Quartermaster A-2 at £385 or rather nice nylon windbreaker at £450, hmm. Which to choose. Which. To. Choose..."

I just find that something like an L2 breaks the monotony of always wearing leather.
In the lengthy sub-zero winter months I'm always wearing my B3 or Irvin with C3 vests with leather gloves and B2 hats - every day. Without fail.
The Spring and Fall find me in the ANJ-3 or the Luftwaffe every day ...
I just found that, for me, a quality nylon jacket (or similar) makes a nice change from the other 3 seasons - and I look forward to getting the leather back on again when autumn rolls around having had a break ...

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
You must live in a very northerly climes, but I appreciate the need to break the monotony - I've got a vintage Roebuck denim jacket on the way for nicer days. Or is that day.

Stand By

One Too Many
You must live in a very northerly climes, but I appreciate the need to break the monotony - I've got a vintage Roebuck denim jacket on the way for nicer days. Or is that day.

Indeed I do, Sloan. I now have two C3’s – one medium-sized ELC type to go under the B3 on occasion – and another large one by Aero to go over it when it gets silly. Like -25C with a wind-chill of -40C silly. My winter gear can walk around by itself come the Spring…
I downsized my wardrobe mostly at my girlfriend’s request – she said she was sick of seeing me dressed like it’s 1943 when it’s actually 2013. I conceded that she made a fair point.
So like all good relationships, we discussed a compromise; she wanted me to downsize my jacket collection and I didn’t want to. So we compromised: and I downsized my jacket collection.
So, like you, for the cool summer mornings I now have a nice green denim jacket – to shake my look up a bit. No bad thing as it turns out. I really like it.
And I now occasionally like to wear my ANJ- 3 with a hooded sweatshirt beneath it – a blend of new and old. Looks pretty youthful and hip really, I must say. (do people still say “hip”?).
Who knew ?! :)

Well, my girlfriend apparently did, but I can’t let on to her about that as well. ;)

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Not surprising to see the change. If you were a guy looking the earlier AL website and happened to see the defensive stance taken by Lauder, would you want to proceed with an order, or might you think that where there is smoke, there might be fire? :flame: [huh]

wdw

One Too Many
Good to see someone's marketing degree not going to waste. A different tone and mission statement entirely.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up

Indeed I do, Sloan. I now have two C3’s – one medium-sized ELC type to go under the B3 on occasion – and another large one by Aero to go over it when it gets silly. Like -25C with a wind-chill of -40C silly. My winter gear can walk around by itself come the Spring…
I downsized my wardrobe mostly at my girlfriend’s request – she said she was sick of seeing me dressed like it’s 1943 when it’s actually 2013. I conceded that she made a fair point.
So like all good relationships, we discussed a compromise; she wanted me to downsize my jacket collection and I didn’t want to. So we compromised: and I downsized my jacket collection.
So, like you, for the cool summer mornings I now have a nice green denim jacket – to shake my look up a bit. No bad thing as it turns out. I really like it.
And I now occasionally like to wear my ANJ- 3 with a hooded sweatshirt beneath it – a blend of new and old. Looks pretty youthful and hip really, I must say. (do people still say “hip”?).

Well, my girlfriend apparently did, but I can’t let on to her about that as well. ;)

Heh! It is funny how relationship compromises usually boil down to: "I'll tell you what I think and you'll agree with me if you know what's good for you" :D

Edward

Bartender
"Aero Quartermaster A-2 at £385 or rather nice nylon windbreaker at £450, hmm. Which to choose. Which. To. Choose..."

I just find that something like an L2 breaks the monotony of always wearing leather.
In the lengthy sub-zero winter months I'm always wearing my B3 or Irvin with C3 vests with leather gloves and B2 hats - every day. Without fail.
The Spring and Fall find me in the ANJ-3 or the Luftwaffe every day ...
I just found that, for me, a quality nylon jacket (or similar) makes a nice change from the other 3 seasons - and I look forward to getting the leather back on again when autumn rolls around having had a break ...

I know what you mean... that's one reason why I love my B15s and my Aero Waterfront so much. Always nice to have variety. Still, when it comes down to it the L2 series is such a simple jacket that I can't bring myself to pay Buzz prices. I wish Alpha would bring them back in the original Replica line. I have been looking out for a used Buzz. Saw one last year, but it shot up to about GBP150 at the last minute and I missed it. Not seen one since.

Good to see someone's marketing degree not going to waste.

Either that or someone else's law degree. ;)

The Schuh hook-up still seems a little bit of an odd match to me, but I suppose if it goes big they are probably eyeing the Schott market as much as the Aero market. At the "introductory offer" price they could certainly compete with Schott. I'll be interested to see whether and when they start appearing on the used market too, see what value they find there.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
My understanding is that AS no longer has any connection with Schuh, so it would seem more a case of trying to establish his bona fides as a businessman - it was a very successful company in its time - but making jackets is very different from selling shoes. It's a terribly written piece btw, just a shapeless ramble, but far better PR than Will's angry rant.

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
Sounds like what you needed to downsize was your girlfriend ;-)

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
The photos are still very uninspiring, though. I don't wish them harm but just make the observation that almost anyone could whip up a better site with iWeb and an amateur photographer with a half-decent SLR.

I know it's Scotland but there must be some natural light.

The copy is of a better grammatical standard than, ahem, some I've seen on competitor sites, though.

SJ

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn