Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alexander Leathers

Stand By

One Too Many
So wrong on every conceivable level. I'm with the guy from Lost Worlds, me. Purses for men. Jesus Christ. The world's going mad.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I just got my custom Arkansas half-belt in brown goat with cotton drill lining. Only a 5 week wait! It's outstanding; equal in build quality to my Aero or Johnson's half-belts. Made by Janet. What I like about the Arkansas is its stock leather lined cuffs and inside pocket. Moleskin pocket linings. Lovely stuff. I got a 44 with custom length 26.5 back, 27.5 drop down front, 20 inch shoulders. The goat is very thick and robust. Goat has always been my favorite hide for its combination of strength and lightness. Highly recommended.

Last edited:

pauleway

Practically Family
I just got my custom Arkansas half-belt in brown goat with cotton drill lining. Only a 5 week wait! It's outstanding; equal in build quality to my Aero or Johnson's half-belts. Made by Janet. What I like about the Arkansas is its stock leather lined cuffs and inside pocket. Moleskin pocket linings. Lovely stuff. I got a 44 with custom length 26.5 back, 27.5 drop down front, 20 inch shoulders. The goat is very thick and robust. Goat has always been my favorite hide for its combination of strength and lightness. Highly recommended.

I have AL Arkansas in russet goat. A VERY nice jacket, soft and lots of grain, every bit as nice as my Aero HB. Took 3-1/2 weeks from order to delivery. I was going to order an Aero 30's HB from Insur./Thurst. but I wanted a Bi-Swing back they said Aero would not do, so I ordered a Wool/Leather HB from them instead. When I e-mailed Amanda at AL she said they would do the Bi-Swing,"No Problem". I also wanted russet goatskin which they did not have, but would try to source some for me. They got some very nice russet goatskin and the jacket turned out perfect. Love both companies and now have top quality jackets from both!!

Xenophon

One of the Regulars
I just came across this page on the AL website which gives info on some of their leathers including source and thickness etc. I figured some of you might find that interesting, as I know I did
http://www.alexanderleathers.com/information-menu/our-leathers.html

It seems the AL website is constantly evolving as every time I go back there's something new. IMO that site is shaping up very nicely.

True, I looked 2 weeks back and then they only had info about a couple of leathers, a lot more complete now. This is one point where the Aero website could use some serious overhaul imho. They've grown organically and it shows. Some of the Alexander products look very nice and I for one like their interface for communicating the fit info. Might give AL a try but would like to get some more impressions about quality etc first. Currently have two items on order with Aero and have to say that their customer service is very good but my god, 3 months wait time for the Shackleton and 6 for my Maxwell....glutton for punishment comes to mind. We should pool together and negotiate some production slots like their US distributors do.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the positive comments all. I'll try to put up some daylight photos in a day or two. The goat is very tough and thick and will need some break in time to loosen up. The dye is good and I think it will fade over the years reasonably well unlike some goat I've owned.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Might give AL a try but would like to get some more impressions about quality etc first.

You seriously don't have to worry about the quality. My 2 x AL jackets (Detroit and Roadster) are easily comparable in quality and craftsmanship to my 2 x Aeros.

Xenophon

One of the Regulars
You seriously don't have to worry about the quality. My 2 x AL jackets (Detroit and Roadster) are easily comparable in quality and craftsmanship to my 2 x Aeros.

Thanks for that, always good to hear first hand from someone who has experience with both Aero and AL. They're the new kid on the block so I'm a bit cautious, also because their genesis was a bit contentious -not taking a position in the AL/Aero dispute, not my war nor my business. How long does it typically take between ordering and delivery with AL? Have just ordered another Aero jacket and was informed that the wait would be 6 monte; hoping it'll be shorter with AL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace